Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-01-2005, 06:30 AM
some people do try to pass them off as rare
Lorraine(bws)
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2005, 07:52 AM
welcome donlou glad to see that there are some sensible boxer breeders out there unfortunatly they seem to be very few and far between here in scotland or it could be at rescue we have just come across the wrong ones we have even been asked by( loving breeders ) yeh ! right to rehome a older bitch as they can no longer breed with her SHOCKING
Carole
Supervisor

18-01-2005, 08:09 AM
I lot of the good breeders in Scotland will not cull their white boxers. I know of some that home them as pets.
CBT
Dogsey Senior

18-01-2005, 10:01 AM
If breeders choose to find new homes for their ex breeding bitches it is not necessarily a sign that they do not care though I know several Caring and responsible breeders who rehome older dogs as pets once they have finished their working days, its much nicer than being left to lie idle in a kennel for the rest of their days, and often gives older dogs a new lease of life to get the extra attention a home environment brings. I have rehomed ex brood bitches to new homes and kept in touch to see how they are getting on, I also vet the new owners to make sure they will be right for my bitches. When you have a large kennel of dogs, it is not always practical to keep bitches which are no longer of age to breed from and I think so long as the bitches are loved, cared for and not over-bred when they are with you, it is up to you the breeder to decide what happens to them once they are past their prime. I think finding ex brood bitches a nice retirement fireside home is far preferable to having them put down, or selling them on and then not knowing where they end up .
I think it depends on the breeders individual circumstances, that always has to be taken into consideration. Personally, I choose to rehome my bitches myself rather than take up the valuable time and resources of a rescue, and I will continue to do this, whether other people who do not know the situation think it is right or not
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran

18-01-2005, 12:13 PM
CBT interesting I had never thought of it like that. I just dont agree with Breeders who once they have finished with a brood bitch to them pass her on to a rescue. If the breeder care for the dogs as they proclaim they should always be prepared and on the look out for a suitable home for the bitch.

Not that their is anything wrong with Rescues but the breeder should be the one who fidn the new home.
CBT
Dogsey Senior

18-01-2005, 12:26 PM
I agree with you completely Roxy, that is why I always find homes for any bitches i have used for breeding as they are my responsibility and rescues are busy enough as it is without me adding to their numbers. I also take back any puppies I have bred if their homes dont work out and find them new ones, its a basic duty as a breeder, its not always convenient, but its something you need to be prepared to do if your going to breed.
Lorraine(bws)
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2005, 01:20 PM
wow it is really great to see that you for one are prepared to look on your dogs as your responsibility I couldnt agree more that an older dog that has become to breed with should go on to end her days in aloving home but believe me not all people are the same most breeders that sell pups do say that if there is a problem to get back to them and they will try to help out but in the 5yrs that I have been involved in rescue NOT ONE has agreed to do it for one reason or another. so then they are handed over to rescue I am sure a lot of people would be shocked at the fact that even a club that has hundreds of members when asked if its possible for someone to home-check or help move a dog are HORRIFIED at even been asked OH! NO we dont help with rescue WHY? these people have made alot of money from these dogs but yet wont get involved to help when needed rescue is like a bad smell to them its just a good job that there are LOTS of people out there regardless of which breed they are into are willing to give up their time to see a dog have a happy ending with a new mum and dad
CBT
Dogsey Senior

18-01-2005, 01:29 PM
I think thats wrong when breeders refuse to help, If you breed you should be responsible for your pups. I think the reason maybe some breeders dont want to get involved with rescue is because some (please note I said some, not all) rescue people can be very critical and nasty towards breeders. You only have to take a look at the DP site to see how much deap-seated hatred there is amongst rescue people towards breeders. they look down on breeders and see them as bad people Now Im not saying that all rescue people are like this, but many are, if you breed they will call you BYB puppy farmer and all the other derogatory names, so you can maybe see why some breeders are put off?
I think its a shame breeders and rescue cant work together more, or at the very least for breeders to take responsibility for the pups they breed after money has changed hands
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2005, 03:29 PM
Agree 100% CBT...not something I could do but when a bitch has finished her breeding duties theres nothing wrong with wanting her to have a special home by the fireside.
jacquie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-01-2005, 03:38 PM
It saddens me that in this day and age we are still debateing the pro's and con's of the colour of a boxer. All are equal, It is only the breed standard and the kennel club that still make a diffrence.
As for breeders being taken to court because a pup has a "faulty" heart or something similar, then that is just a cop out! The same could be said for ANY breeder of ANY dog.
I take my hat off to the breeder who will willingly take a dog back, I got a 10 day period with my dog when, if I found out there was anything wrong with him I could take him back!!!! Even if there was, how could I return a cute pup!
As for breeders rehomeing ex breeding bitches, I will beg to differ on that one.
I think if you make a vast amount of money from a bitch or stud dog or infact even none. How can you disgard it after so many years? Does the love inside you for that creature not call out to keep it? Dont say that's not viable as you have many. If you cant keep them, you shouldn't have so many!!
Sorry if I offend but I feel really strongly about this.
Page 6 of 22 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »