Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2005, 06:11 PM

Teatree oil

I read a post...think it was by Mini some time ago that Teatree oil is great for keeping fleas repelled.

Can anyone tell me when you can start using sprays such as these - can it be used on puppies or should remedies like this wait until they are older?

Many thanks.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2005, 06:19 PM
Hi Ingrid. Can't answer your question here, except that I don't think i would use this on a puppy as remember it is poisonous! Read up on it, it is an essential oil and I heard a vet talking about it on the radio the other day and he mentioned the word "poisonous" so I've stopped using it now in case Georgie licks it off and I've resorted to the Frontline pipettes! Please make sure you read well up on this tea-tree oil, I know it's good stuff, but I think you have to be careful with it - better check it out.
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-07-2005, 06:24 PM
Have a look at maplecottage maybe that will help ?

http://www.theherbsplace.com/teatreeuses.html
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2005, 06:30 PM
Hi Ingrid

I give Luna garlic everyday on her food.. I cant get her to eat a raw clove, so I've bought garlic powder (meant for horses) and started out giving her half a teaspoon on her dinner. Now I give her half a teaspoon on both meals and in the worse season, I give her a pipette of Frontline...

And she hasnt had any fleas in over a year now.. The fleas we had last year, was from Bella.... Cos Kamille didnt give Bella the garlicpowder I was dogsitting Bella while they were at the hospital with Rebecca...
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2005, 06:32 PM
Thanks Fred, I'm looking at one which is pet specific i.e.

TEA TREE GROOM POWDER 100G

To help keep pets' coats shining, clean and fresh, and coat and skin free of ticks, fleas and other insect parasites. Tea Tree Oil Grooming Powder can also be applied directly to any affected areas of a pet's coat and skin to help cleanse and soothe insect bites, grazes, minor cuts, hot spots and summer itch.

Found it on surreypetsupplies.co.uk

Thanks a million - appreciate the help.

Originally Posted by Fred
Have a look at maplecottage maybe that will help ?

http://www.theherbsplace.com/teatreeuses.html
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2005, 06:33 PM
Thanks Helen, will investigate it thoroughly before considering the purchase - perhaps when Mini is on next she could shed some light on it.

Thank you

Originally Posted by Helena54
Hi Ingrid. Can't answer your question here, except that I don't think i would use this on a puppy as remember it is poisonous! Read up on it, it is an essential oil and I heard a vet talking about it on the radio the other day and he mentioned the word "poisonous" so I've stopped using it now in case Georgie licks it off and I've resorted to the Frontline pipettes! Please make sure you read well up on this tea-tree oil, I know it's good stuff, but I think you have to be careful with it - better check it out.
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2005, 06:35 PM
Poor Bella, I don't know what kind of condition she would be in if she didn't get to spend time with you once in a while!!!

Thanks J, I will look into this.

Thanks for the tip on Frontline - as mentioned by Helen as well

Originally Posted by bellaluna
Hi Ingrid

I give Luna garlic everyday on her food.. I cant get her to eat a raw clove, so I've bought garlic powder (meant for horses) and started out giving her half a teaspoon on her dinner. Now I give her half a teaspoon on both meals and in the worse season, I give her a pipette of Frontline...

And she hasnt had any fleas in over a year now.. The fleas we had last year, was from Bella.... Cos Kamille didnt give Bella the garlicpowder I was dogsitting Bella while they were at the hospital with Rebecca...
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-07-2005, 06:35 PM
any time maplecottage glad you found something
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-07-2005, 06:37 PM
Hi MC as far as I know Teetree Oil is not poisonous and can be used in the mouth/on gums (although I would not advocate doing so).
I do not spray it on to repel fleas , I buy the purest form of oil possible from the healthfood shop , put a couple of drops on a tissue and wipe it on the dogs back before going for a walk I don't touch the skin, this seems to work for me. I also groom daily so can spot visitors but we don't get any. I also use fresh garlic I will not use any of the 'drop' products which containing a form of nerve gas on dogs..I once saw a westie in the vets die after being given one of these treatments.
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2005, 06:43 PM
Hi Mini - many thanks for the info..can I ask whether you used the oil on your pups or did you wait until they were a bit older?

And do you crush the garlic on their food or give it to them whole?

Thank you!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >