View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Skyesmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-06-2011, 06:52 PM
I really think if your agility trainer is forcing you to move onto aspects of equipment that your dog clearly doesn't yet understand, then i would move to a different club You have only started training a few weeks ago, and it seems to me that the club you go to is more competition motivated than doing it for you and your dogs enjoyment (which in my opinion it should be more fun than anything else)
If your dog got caught up in the fabric of the flat tunnel, then your trainer should be concentrating on getting his confidence back with that particular piece of kit, not trying to force him to jump through the tyre which from what you have said he has absolutely no comprehension of what he's supposed to be doing anyway
My advice..........either tell your trainer to slow things down so you and your dog can properly learn each element; OR walk away and find a club that will

Jann xx
SmokeyRabbit
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-06-2011, 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by Skyesmum View Post
I really think if your agility trainer is forcing you to move onto aspects of equipment that your dog clearly doesn't yet understand, then i would move to a different club You have only started training a few weeks ago, and it seems to me that the club you go to is more competition motivated than doing it for you and your dogs enjoyment (which in my opinion it should be more fun than anything else)
If your dog got caught up in the fabric of the flat tunnel, then your trainer should be concentrating on getting his confidence back with that particular piece of kit, not trying to force him to jump through the tyre which from what you have said he has absolutely no comprehension of what he's supposed to be doing anyway
My advice..........either tell your trainer to slow things down so you and your dog can properly learn each element; OR walk away and find a club that will

Jann xx
Thanks i'll slow things down they have already done all the equipment at low height but done dog walk and aframe at high height, they even lower tyre for beginners but still attached i am sure he will soon get the hang of it and so will i when i feel more confident.
Skyesmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-06-2011, 11:23 PM
Might be an idea to buy a childs play hoop and start him off just walking through it then gradually lift it so he has to jump through

If you do clicker training with him, it would be ideal as you can click and treat starting with him just going near to it then progressing to clicking when he passes through it This is how i taught both my dogs the tyre, so when it came to the real thing, they had positive rewarding connection to it
If you take things slowly, you can "proof" each element giving him confidence in you as a handler and you in his ability to do it Remember........All good things to those that wait

Jann xx
Kyllobernese
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-06-2011, 04:29 PM
My little Shih Tzu x Maltese had a bad experience in her first trial when it was pouring rain and the chute (collapsed tunnel) was really too heavy for her to push through. She did eventually get through but it took me quite a while to get her back to going through consistently. My sister and I built our own chute using a half barrel and and an old tent attached to it with the floor part on the ground (the tarp) and the nylon on top so it worked exectly like a chute.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2