Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2006, 04:59 PM

The Worlds going Mad

Outrage At Proposed Pitbull Massacre

A council in Northern Ireland are awaiting the "rubber stamping" of what is being described as a "Pitbull Amnesty". Ballymena council members have agreed to throw their weight behind the UK's first ever Pitbull amnesty, which will see dogs fitting the description of the banned breed being rounded up and put down.

The moves follow a recent attack by a Pitbull type breed in Co. Antrim, which is said to have been the trigger for the proposal. It is believed that the "amnesty" is planned to be in place for four weeks, although some council members are calling for a longer time period in which to collect as many dogs as possible.

Councillor. Declan O'loan commented "It is an excellent proposal. It is dealing with something that is a serious problem. It is a very practical way to deal with it."

The controversial plans, which mirror a scheme that took place in Kansas last year, have upset many, including veterinary professionals and charity workers.

Chris Laurence, Dogs Trust Veterinary Director, said:

“While we would never condone law-breaking by encouraging the continuation of a banned breed, we are totally opposed to euthanasia simply on the grounds of a dog’s breed. Any dog who is actually a danger to the public, whatever breed they are, should be properly trained and kept under control, and suitable punishments and deterrents given to the owner for their dog’s unacceptable behaviour. But we oppose the destruction of any dog simply because of his breed. A more humane and effective method of reducing the number of unwanted dogs generally is neutering, thus preventing further litters, and would also tackle the problem in the long-term.”
tiffanie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-11-2006, 05:21 PM
Oh my God!!! Is this for real????? Absolutely ridiculous idea!
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-11-2006, 06:15 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/6167876.stm

My understanding of an 'amnesty' is that something is handed over voluntarily without fear of recrimination. I certainly have not seen or heard it reported locally that dogs will be 'rounded up'.

Whilst I am as sad as anyone else that dogs handed over during the amnesty will be destroyed, what else realistically can be done with a banned breed?

Perhaps those of you who don't live in N.Ireland don't fully appreciate the extent of the problem here. It is probably as easy to get hold of a pit-bull as it is a labrador. They are being bred (and cross bred)in huge numbers and passed off as 'Irish' Staffs. In reality, they are often pure-bred pit-bulls or pit bull X Staff.. Some people are naively buying pups thinking they are Staffs without papers (hence cheaper...going rate is about £150 I believe) with absolutely no idea that they are pit-bull or pit-bull X.

However, they are being bred in such great numbers that all and sundry can get one and when they become too difficult to handle, they are simply dumped on the street as obviously no-one is going to risk prosecution by trying to hand over a banned breed to a rescue.

These are just a selection of reported news stories relating to pit-bull attacks and dog-fighting in NI from this year alone:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/6127688.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/5166032.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/4763119.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/4928034.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/4823960.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/4596550.stm

You can kind of see why some sort of action is needed, I'm just not sure what the correct course of action should be? Obviously some sort of registration/neutering programme would be desirable but it would be near impossible to police. Besides, the breed is banned (rightly or wrongly) and it is therefore an offence punishable by law to own one. If you suddenly 'legitimise' it, where do you draw the line? Anyway, the neutering/registration route was supposed to ensure that the breed died out in the UK and very obviously didn't work then, it would be niave to think it would work this time around.
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2006, 06:48 PM
If it's an amnesty then people have to hand them in right? Is anyone really going to hand over their beloved pet to be put to sleep Even if they don't love their pet, but just use it for fighting I can't see them giving that up
They must have known their dog was banned when they got it, so why would they all of a sudden care about the law? Just because they can hand it in without getting into trouble doesn't mean they will hand them in

If they are actually going round rounding them up that's awful. How will they prove that the dog is a Pit Bull? Are they just going to round up any dog that looks vaguely like one?
What if you just own an innocent cross that happens to look like a Pit Bull
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2006, 07:03 PM
If you are an irresponsible owner that encourages the fighting traits of this breed, then you sure as hell ain't gonna hand the dog/s over cos of an amensty.
Sure the breeding ban of this breed didn't stop them, did it?

ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-11-2006, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
Sure the breeding ban of this breed didn't stop them, did it?

Erm...didn't I say that?? That's why they are trying a different tactic this time.

The likelihood is that not many dogs will be handed over but the truth of the matter is that a number of these dogs are abandoned to fend for themselves every week as there is no other real option open to people who do want to get rid of a dog. There is no point trying to sell them on or give them away as puppies are so readily available that even someone who wants a pitbull doesn't have to take on someone else's problematic dog.

I didn't say it was likely to be a success and I don't think it will be but the authorities have to be 'seen' to be doing something as the problem is getting out of hand now.

Perhaps if the Councils had been more pro-active sooner, then it wouldn't have come to this. The USPCA have, seized and destroyed numerous pit-bull types (usually ones that have been known to have attacked people or other dogs) yet no-one has been prosecuted for ownership because the dog wardens (and therefore Councils) won't back the USPCA in bringing prosecutions Probably not cost effective for them Yet they're happy to take our licence fee year in, year out for nothing in return
Heldengebroed
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-11-2006, 10:05 AM
"On an hourly base people get hurt or killed by cars. As a measurement of precaution all carowners have to report to the towncounsil with thier vehicules whereafter these vehicules will be destroyed thus having a positive effect on the security of our citizens and we'll contribute in the effort to reach the Kyoto-norm"

Wouldn't that be more effective?
barneys mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-11-2006, 04:26 PM
It not the breed but who owns them the well loved dog of a family will suffer more because with this act they might be taken it is unfair that because of foolish people this should happen---Aileen
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-11-2006, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by barneys mum View Post
It not the breed but who owns them the well loved dog of a family will suffer more because with this act they might be taken it is unfair that because of foolish people this should happen---Aileen
I agree...

This is exactly the reason the ban came about in the first place and obviously very little has changed
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2006, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by ShaynLola View Post
Erm...didn't I say that??
Just thought I'd give my 2 cents worth as well for what it's worth............
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >