Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2006, 11:58 PM

Lost dogs!

the other day on the way home from the local shop in the car, we see a gorgeous 'lassie' type collie running across a roundabout literally stoping the cars, we stopped wondering what to do, but the dog was running round obviously having a good time and looked quite happy with himself! (not the car owners though!!) but im always weary of going up to dogs i dont know, so we left it.........i felt guilty, but what could i honestly have done?

Then today, just driving up to where we live the Smallest dog ever was on the pavement, i actually thought it was a cat!! we stopped and look around whilest in the car but No one was around, we parked and decided to walk over to the dog, my boyf said it was a pup as his friend owned one like that, and he came running up to us really happy jumping up! we walked around looking for anyone, but couldnt see anyone, we were going to knock on some houses, but the dog just ran off looking happy!

we went home and boyf was (quite sweetly) really worried, saying anyone could walk along and pick him up, he was really friendy to us, i hope he found his way, he ran off before we could follow him!!
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2006, 01:01 AM
Poor dogs I hope they are ok. It's a shame that people are still happy to let their dogs roam free and do what they like. Or perhaps they just escaped

I've never come across a dog out on it's own. I think I would be nervous about approaching a strange dog too. But also I would want to bring it home and look after it.

Maybe you should report them to the police incase someone is searching for them
Radar Ears
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-11-2006, 02:25 AM
Hi All,

I'm wary of approaching strange dogs, but I always do, I can't help it, I've found four dogs , I keep a long piece of cotton rope with me, tied into a slip knot, it is easier to bung that over their heads than mess about trying to get a lead done up.

Once it's over their heads, and pulled up a bit, I then tie it round itself, so to speak, so that it cannot slip tight when the dog pulls.

My apprehension over approaching them, is overtaken by the thought that something awful might happen to them, so I prepare myself to be bitten, (just in case) but this has never happened (touch wood).

I always hold my hand out to them, let them sniff it, once they've sniffed it, I move my hand round to their "shoulders" to stroke them, whilst quickly bunging the "lasso" over their heads.

Then I look to see if there's a tag, or if not take them to the nearest vet to check for a microchip.

The first dog I found was a spaniel pup, years ago, that had come from a house nearby, the second was last year, a labrador, that one lived nearby too.

The third was in Norfolk, another labrador, I'd got it in the transit, wondering where the nearest vets was, when it's owner came out frantically looking for it, her neighbour had left the gate open, I checked that he did belong to her before giving him back, I asked what his name was and when I called the dog by it, he came all alert and I knew it was hers.

The fourth was a terrier who lived in my own road, but I found him running along a main road !

What is it with me and stray dogs

Regards

Radar
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2006, 11:57 AM
I once found a big husky walking up the road alone, I actually thought she was with someone as she was walking, offlead next to someone, then she crossed over and came to say hello to Takara.

As Takara is such a good judge of character, I let them say hello and Takara would've alerted me if the dog was aggressive. I stroked her and gained her trust a bit, and walked her home by her collar.

I found one whilst walking my dogs, who kept running over, totally unaccompanied and winding up my eldest, who at the time was relatively new to me, being a rescue and was nervous aggressive.
I obviously couldn't get hold of this little dog because of Eddy so phoned the police. It took me ages to get through to someone and so the dog had gone.

I also, once found a boxer/staffy x that came belting across the main road into the park, I grabbed hold of her and just as I was trying to fathom out how to control her, and mine, her owner came running into the park.

Thankfully, only ever had to go home with one stray dog, and we kept her overnight as it was a Sunday night and nobody was around to tell me if she'd been reported missing, the following morning we found her owner and all were happily reunited.
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2006, 07:40 PM
found a little terrier once she was dodging trafic, so i took her home, the local dog warden was at a christmas works lunch. the police didnt want to know, was gonna say she didnt have a tax disc LOL i eventully rang the local radio station. they took my number,and with in 10 mins i had a call they had found her owner, so they came n collected her. the dog was crazy with happiness,
another time we found a lovely lab, notified the police, and took him home. his owner came armed with a box of choccys n a bottle of wine (bonus)
Amie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2006, 08:10 PM
I always stop and pick up Lost Dogs if they have no Id on them I Take them to local Police station.

Would never be happy to just leave them in-case they get Killed or cause a traffic accident.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2006, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by Amie View Post
I always stop and pick up Lost Dogs if they have no Id on them I Take them to local Police station.

Would never be happy to just leave them in-case they get Killed or cause a traffic accident.
Me too Amie - but then I think we all do what we think is right at the time. Hope the little'un is home safe by now.
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2006, 11:58 PM
Me too! the dog didnt have a collar, there is no way we would have stopped it, we tired to call it back back it ran so fast for such a little thing! i hope it lived where it was running to :-S
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2006, 10:11 PM
I have brought quite a few lost dogs home over the years. It doesn't really worry me approaching them and I haven't been bitten yet (touch wood!). I couldn't sleep if I left them to roam. I contact the local police station and dog warden and every time a frantic owner has got in a touch and been very thankful to have their dogs back.
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2006, 10:28 PM
I was walking my dog last week, when I came across a collie dog with a harness and retractable lead on him he was just sat on this piece of wasteland. There was a shop opposite so I thought perhaps the owner was in there. We went on our way and 1 hour later passed the same spot on our way home - he was still sat there He didn't seem to like my dog, so I walked Ozzie home, put him in the garden and walked back. Got a big shock, it must have been me he didn't like, I stood back from him. crouched and put my hand out to him and he promptly bit me. Came back to get my OH and when we went back - he was gone. Hope his owner found him - or he found his way home.