Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-06-2012, 11:22 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
If you can afford it I would really recommend Susan Garrett's DVD of Crate Games

It has lots of applications for later on in life and you can see a short preview on this link.

http://www.positiveanimalsolutions.c...crategames.htm
Its on You tube ..
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2012, 11:27 AM
Your likely to to teach her bad habbits taking her out of the crate every time she cries.

She has learnt basicly that if she cries you will come to her aid and obviously this works for her.

Do you leave her without anything in her crate? (apart from the water which I read)

It could just be that she is simply bored have you tried leaving her with a kong?
ljru1970
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-06-2012, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
Your likely to to teach her bad habbits taking her out of the crate every time she cries.

She has learnt basicly that if she cries you will come to her aid and obviously this works for her.

Do you leave her without anything in her crate? (apart from the water which I read)

It could just be that she is simply bored have you tried leaving her with a kong?
She has not learnt that if she cries I will come to her aid, as I DO NOT. I only let her out when she is quiet.

She has a kibble filled kong, kibble in a bowl, puppy antler, a bed with vet bed in it.

Her issue is with being separated from me, I can't even leave the room without her whining and that's when she is not crated.
toobendy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-06-2012, 11:46 AM
my lurcher used to be fine in a crate whenever we went out but one day when we came home she looked terrified & had got herself so worked up she had made herself sick & peed. i am about to start working on getting her used to the crate again. what i'm planning on starting with is putting her bed in there & tying the crate door back so it can't accidently shut on her. i'll then keep putting a few treats in the crate & she'll be able to go in & out of it as she wants. once she's taking herself into the crate & lying down for awhile i'll start closing the door but only for a second to start with then give her a treat & open the door. i'll gradually build up how long the door is shut then when she's doing well i'll start moving away from the crate just a step to start with but gradually further until i can go out of the room then gradually lengthen the time i'm out of the room then eventually i'll be able to go outside but again build up very gradually how long i'm outside. i also intend on getting her a toy that she will only be allowed in the cage & i'll give her 1 or 2 stuffed kongs in there. i'm hopeful this will work for poppy & it may work for your dog but it will take a lot of patience
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2012, 11:57 AM
I`ve never used a crate. It`s not compulsory, you know.....
ljru1970
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-06-2012, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I`ve never used a crate. It`s not compulsory, you know.....
No, I know, but I have 2 other dogs and 3 cats, who all need a break from each other. Plus she will chew anything....

I left her uncrated when I went upstairs, she broke through the bannisters at the bottom as she couldn't get through the stair gate. I also found her in the centre of the table in the garden today , when I'd popped upstairs for a shower. Lord knows how she got up there
bfetterman
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-06-2012, 03:44 PM
When we first our pup home, he was the same way. Even if we were in the room with him he would cry. Try putting something that smells like you in the crate with her, the first night we tried that we were successful though it might have helped that my pup fell asleep on my lap. Rather than wake him up and set him on top of the shirt that was already in the cage, I hurried and took off the one I was wearing, gently slid him on top of it and waited until he went back to sleep, and carried him in the makeshift hammock to his crate! I petted him a few times after he was in to make sure he was fully asleep and he's been a doll ever since my husband could NOT stop laughing at me though!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2