View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2009, 10:47 AM
Sounds like a really positive first outing into the big wide world H I am so happy to hear that little Zena took it all in her stride.

I agree with Mish and I always have my pups off lead (in a safe area of course) immediately. You can train an excellent recall with a young pup as they aren't so sure of themselves out and about and tend to follow you wherever you go As Mish has said, let her off where it is safe, let her play around a bit, call her back and give her a tasty little treat. I also gently take hold of their collar while giving them the treat and then say "ok" and let her off to play again. You don't want her associating you calling her back with going back on the lead and going home

As you have already done, it is imperative that all the encounters with other dogs at this stage are positive ones - ie that Zena doesn't get scared (or worse still attacked!). She may even get a bit scared by an over-boisterous dog just wanting to play, so always make sure you know the dog and its temperament before introducing them.

And as Dani pointed out - pics next time please

A big hug for sweet Zena and another for lovely gentle giant Georgie for being so well behaved and showing his little sister how to behave
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

08-02-2009, 11:04 AM
So pleased for all three of you Helena.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2009, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by RRmum View Post
Oh H - sounds a dream. Glad it all went so well.
xx
Thanks Jo, and good luck for you too today!

Thanks for all that Kirsty. I was lucky before with my pups, I always had a horse, so they always came with me, got tied up outside my stable whilst I mucked out, and then let free to follow me to and fro to the muck heap, the fields etc. and in fact, they were never on a lead much, ever! This is all so different for me, coz wherever I go now, it's all wide open downland not a safe enclosed farm or stableyard if you get what I mean, and I've never worried before about them not following me. I'll have to take the bull by the horns and do it tomorrow then. I'll use that safe track to go up the top where the sheep fencing is either side so she can't in effect go anywhere but further on in front of me or behind. Why am I so worried???!!!! I'm sure like you say, she'll stick like glue to me or Georgie anyways, so I'm just going to have to do it. I've suddenly turned into an anxious mum with this little girl, I wonder why!!! Thanks Kirsty, tomorrow then, armed with camera, let's hope I don't get pics of her disappearing into the distance! Nah!xxx
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2009, 11:43 AM
awwww she is doing so well, I know your fears of letting her off lead. I let Zee off after a couple of weeks and she was asgood as gold until she saw a leaf blowing in the wind lol.....my heart went but she came back to her squeeky toy and Zak xxx
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2009, 11:47 AM
How brilliant!!! She sounds like a total sweetie pie
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2009, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Are you sure???? Are you absolutely sure???? Sometimes she won't come back indoors from the garden if she doesn't want to I have to bribe her???!! Although have to say, she did come to me everytime I called her on the end of her longline.... Tomorrow when I go out for the 2nd time when no other dogs are about, I'll try it..... maybe!!!

NOw, the guide dog puppy lady told me that if I go up this narrow track up to Cissbury Hill, there is sheep fencing either side, so she can't actually GO anywhere but up the track we're walking on and she said that's where she uses to let them off for the first time, and she said I'd be surprised how she will stay with me, so I will do that, but tomorrow on our 2nd outing when I know nothing else will be around! Yes, I'll do that!

Shewill be really confident at home & not so much when shes out, so that should encourgae her to come to you, that place that the guide dog woman sounds good!!!!

If you make it a really casual thing,it will be fine!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2009, 11:51 AM
Thanks Eunice, good isn't it!

Thanks Mel, and yes, this was only her first ever time out in the big wide World, so I am a bit windy about letting her off just yet, who wouldn't really! Mind you, she didn't go far this morning, only up to Georgie sometimes, she stayed pretty close to me all the time, and then she didn't actually realise she was ON a stretchy lead coz I sort of ran with her so she never got near the end of it I didn't want to hurt her neck, (I hate those things!!) I bought a proper long line, so I will probably take that out with me tomorrow, and I want to see how good she is again with some treats (which I forgot this morning tcht, typical me and her favourite squeaky, also forgotten this morning!! Well, I had Georgie didn't I! ). Piccies will follow on our next jaunt out then! I want to go out again later, but Dave said no, she's had enough for today I might do what I want anyways Thanks Mel.xxx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2009, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Shewill be really confident at home & not so much when shes out, so that should encourgae her to come to you, that place that the guide dog woman sounds good!!!!

If you make it a really casual thing,it will be fine!
Okey doky, I'll risk it tomorrow then, up that track, when nobody's likely to be around, I'm sure she'll be fine She is getting a LOT better in coming in from the garden though even when she doesn't want to, she seems to have picked up that she might, just might get a treat if she obeys first time! As they do! Thanks Mich.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2009, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by jesterjenn View Post
How brilliant!!! She sounds like a total sweetie pie
Thanks jesterjenn, couldn't really have wished for more could I! I know there'll be hangups down the line, but for a first time, I think it was brilliant Onwards and upwards now then
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

08-02-2009, 11:59 AM
Hiya Helena, if you keep walking along with Georgie, she will follow you as you are her security and source of food, you and Georgie are her pack. The mistake lots of people make is to follow the puppy and try to get it back, it then thinks it is a game and runs away, and thats when trouble starts. Lona was a little madam, she used to run off and turn around to see if I was following her, so I used to take Cariad and walk as fast as possible in the opposite direction, so then she used to come tearing back like a loony, giving me a filthy look when she got back to me But she learned fast and has a fantastic recall now, far better than her sister who never pulled stunts like that. Always make her follow you by keeping ahead of her, and like everyone says, occasionally call her to you, give her a treat, and then let her go again. Then when you do call her back to put her line on she won't associate the recall with going back on lead everytime.
Can't wait to see the piccies of the little angel running about on her own.
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »