Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2007, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by madisondobie View Post
Ive always had laminate and have had no problems so far even when i had two wolfhounds charging in and out of the garden, my dobie loves it and has learnt to chase her ball and sort of skid in a circle to get round the ball and then catch it,i have carpet on the stairs but not for much longer as its driving me crazy hoovering dobie hairs up all the time!!
I wouldn't risk - and let- my dogs do that, not at all good for their joints
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2007, 07:16 PM
I have laminate flooring, D ruined my last carpet and i dont regret getting laminate at all, i dont have to mop it any more often than i had to hoover, yes, D does slip on it sometimes but he has learnt not to go charging around the house and copes with it perfectly well, a bonus for the cats they now get a head start as D is accelerating with the handbrake on no more dripping chops on my carpet, spills are easily wiped up and no stains, i dont think i would go back to carpet now unless i lived in an animal free zone.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-02-2007, 08:06 PM
I have laminate upstairs and Vegas slips like hell all over it.

If your thinking about it going downstairs like hallway,kitchen,diner etc-consider ceramic tiles instead Azz.There are plenty of types out there which are anti-slip even when wet with dog slobber and prices can start from as low as £5 per square metre.

Laminate no matter what quality will never last as long as tiles.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-02-2007, 09:41 PM
i wouldn't azz if rocky slips he can get hurt, it doesn't take much.
fluffybunnyfeet
Dogsey Senior
Male 

20-02-2007, 10:43 PM
We have laminate in lounge and bedrooms and tiles in kitchen and hallway. Both can play havoc with young growing and developing dogs, but the tiles to a lesser degree.

We use rubber backed 'runner carpets' over most of the frequented areas and rugs, cheap and you can throw them away when they have had it.

From a hygiene point of view they are all are great and help to eliminate ticks and fleas and will look good for many years and there is no way I'm going back to carpets as hair is sweep up rather than beaten into submission and sucked up with industrial style vacuum cleaner.

Its a choice you make, grippy floors are better for dogs, but laminate is so much easier to live with.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

21-02-2007, 01:48 PM
As I said in my previous post I think that rugs or rubber backed carpets in the high traffic areas do get around the slippery prob. Our two are not so boisterous now and they have learned to take it easy on the slippy areas but they don't often go on them 'cos of the rugs / carpets.
I agree that ceramic tile are great but do cost more and they are cold. Laminate flooring (With the correct underlay) is warm at least I can walk on it in my bare feet.
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-02-2007, 12:03 AM
The whole of my downstairs is laminated flooring. On the plus side of thing...it's a lot cleaner, doesn't smell of 'dog' easy to clean, etc etc

On the not so good side...it's not too good for their legs. Georgie slips and slides all round my floors and dogs can't grip onto any part of laminated flooring Natural wooden floor boards are the best.

Also I saw a recent article in my vets monthly magazine that there has been an increased number of ligament damages to dogs since laminated flooring has been the 'craze'
Olly
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2007, 12:54 PM
Hi azz, as you know we've just moved and our hall has laminate flooring and in general its great easily cleaned and smart looking ,but my concern is that when gemma runs for say the letters or to greet someone she often skids and sort of falls over and i've recently heard of someone whos lab actully broke his leg in this way so i now have a runner over mine ,hope this helps ,good luck what ever you decide
madisondobie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-02-2007, 03:07 PM
I wouldn't risk - and let- my dogs do that, not at all good for their joints
Hi Hevvur - madies 3yrs old now and has been charging around since she was a pup on my laminate and shes been fine as were my two wolfhonds and various other dogs ive owned, but i can understand where you are coming from re injuries and joints.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2007, 03:53 PM
We have Karndean in our hall, cloakroom and study.

Its brilliant, much quieter than laminate as its stuck straight to the rubbery layer they pour down first, so no hollow sound.

I also admit it just doesn't seem to get dirty even with dogs, I have to admit not washing it in over 2 years and it looks the same as it did when it was new. I just hoover up the dog hair bunnies.

It is also easy to repair if a bit does get damaged, they left us with spares and you just heat, lift and replace it (tho I'd get the pro's to do that). It comes with a 25 year guarantee anyway.

As for slipping, Inca does if she's shut in a room with Tonto whilst the cat goes in and out, we let the dogs out and they run on the spot! But now we just shut them in a different room so theres not a run to where the cat is.
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >