Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 10:11 PM

Kidnapped Couple

I just saw on the news that the couple who have been kidnapped by pirates have not only been separated, but physically hurt - their captors want 2 million pounds and the Government refuse to pay - 2 million, its nothing to us, its what footballers get paid a fortnight and yet they just won't help. I understand that they don't want to encourage the pirates behaviour, but what they need to realise is that they won't let this couple go free without paying them, they'll just kill them out of spite.

I think its disgusting that they won't pay and if I had the money I'd pay for their freedom myself.

I feel so sad for them
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 10:24 PM
I agree that its very sad but I think the government need to start getting tough with these people and not paying them their ludicrous ransoms.

The more money we pay out to them the more it will happen and the higher the ransoms will get.
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 10:29 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
I agree that its very sad but I think the government need to start getting tough with these people and not paying them their ludicrous ransoms.

The more money we pay out to them the more it will happen and the higher the ransoms will get.
I know that if it was me and Rachy who were captured I'd want them to pay! Its not like we can't afford it, I don't think lives are there to have political games played with. I understand the lack of desire to give in, I really do, but these are two people, parents, partners....its not right to sacrifice them.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 10:38 PM
but lorna, as much as im sur everyone wishes they would pay, we just simply cant...

its one case today....if we paid...it would be 10 cacses next week, 30 cases next month, etc etc...we would literally be a cash machine for kidnappers!

its very unfortunate but thats the way of it.

I really feel for their family and who wouldnt want them to pay! but they just cant....
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 10:41 PM
I'm with you on this one, Lorna.

As much as I disagree with paying such an obscene amount of money to people who are essentially terrorists, what else is there to do in such a situation other than to let this couple die a terrible death? I'm obviously aware that it's not 'right' to pay these kidnappers, BUT, until something is done about them, then I think paying to free this couple is the only thing to do in this case.

Personally, I'd rather a couple of million was spent on freeing these two people rather than paying for junkies, alcoholics, lazy articles who don't intend to work even when they are capable of doing so, people who cannot afford children but have them anyway at the expense of the taxpayer, I could go on......

All of the above costs way more than a couple of million pounds a year and they bleed they system dry.

A couple of million is pennies to this government, however much they try to plead poverty.
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by alexandra View Post
but lorna, as much as im sur everyone wishes they would pay, we just simply cant...

its one case today....if we paid...it would be 10 cacses next week, 30 cases next month, etc etc...we would literally be a cash machine for kidnappers!

its very unfortunate but thats the way of it.

I really feel for their family and who wouldnt want them to pay! but they just cant....
And if we don't then it'll be a case of them thinking "well they didn't pay last time, but we'll kill these ones and capture some more and THEN they'll know we're serious!" The kidnaps will continue the only difference is the people will carry on dying instead of the government having to put their hands in their pockets.

Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
I'm with you on this one, Lorna.

As much as I disagree with paying such an obscene amount of money to people who are essentially terrorists, what else is there to do in such a situation other than to let this couple die a terrible death? I'm obviously aware that it's not 'right' to pay these kidnappers, BUT, until something is done about them, then I think paying to free this couple is the only thing to do in this case.

Personally, I'd rather a couple of million was spent on freeing these two people rather than paying for junkies, alcoholics, lazy articles who don't intend to work even when they are capable of doing so, people who cannot afford children but have them anyway at the expense of the taxpayer, I could go on......

All of the above costs way more than a couple of million pounds a year and they bleed they system dry.

A couple of million is pennies to this government, however much they try to plead poverty.
I'd rather not waste government funds on people who can't be bothered to go out and work, and who laugh as they 'screw the system', but we do, and I would sleep a lot better knowing that we as a country at least tried to save these innocent people. I think its selfish not to at least try. It won't change they'll still kidnap people regardless!!!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
I'd rather not waste government funds on people who can't be bothered to go out and work, and who laugh as they 'screw the system', but we do, and I would sleep a lot better knowing that we as a country at least tried to save these innocent people. I think its selfish not to at least try. It won't change they'll still kidnap people regardless!!!
Agreed, Lorna.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 07:25 AM
Oh no not again , why is it when anyone brings up a financial issue it is brought back to the ones that rort the system?????? Do you think the government is going to stop the rorting...................no. Are they going to pay for ransoms no, on a personal level I find it hard to understand, but on the larger scale I kind of get it, to pay would mean more next week.
If I was held for ransom, hell yes I would want them to pay but at the same time if that means next week it is 4 people that will be held I say the government isnt going to do it. Just because they pay doesnt mean they are going to release them anyway.
Pirates are rife in the Ethiopian waters and it occurs on a regular basis, they dont pay them.
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 07:46 AM
I think we're right not to give in to blackmail.
Having said that, if the pirates harmed those two people and I was in charge, they would be hunted down. Something about sowing the wind and reaping the whirlwind. Can't make more sense cos I feel rough - but no, never pay ransom - its blackmail pure and simple.
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2010, 07:46 AM
Originally Posted by Emrad View Post
Oh no not again , why is it when anyone brings up a financial issue it is brought back to the ones that rort the system?????? Do you think the government is going to stop the rorting...................no. Are they going to pay for ransoms no, on a personal level I find it hard to understand, but on the larger scale I kind of get it, to pay would mean more next week.
If I was held for ransom, hell yes I would want them to pay but at the same time if that means next week it is 4 people that will be held I say the government isnt going to do it. Just because they pay doesnt mean they are going to release them anyway.
Pirates are rife in the Ethiopian waters and it occurs on a regular basis, they dont pay them.
We have enough money to try to save them, and if they kill them still then they would know they won't get any money next time, instead of not negotiating with them they could negotiate a lower release. Its just a matter of principle, we can afford to save them, and the next lot and the lot after that, they're not all going to be British!!!
Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »