Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dotty.
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-10-2008, 03:28 AM

Bulldog Staffy cross

Will they be hard to train?
How will I train him to come back when I call him?
How do I teach him not to bite or do they not bite in general, and if they are reared good then will they not bite.?
Thanks.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2008, 06:33 AM
I don't think there's a dog out there that isn't trainable.

What makes you think this dog will bite anyway? Does it have a history of doing so?
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-10-2008, 07:31 AM
The mother and siblings will normally teach bite inhibitions.. You just need to continue that training..

Have you got your puppy home, yet?
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-10-2008, 09:28 AM
Ella, even at fourteen months, is still very mouthy. I wouldn't say that she bites, but she occasionally decides to have a chew on fingers. A huge yelp from us normally does the trick, and the chewing has reduced drastically. She does have plenty of toys, blankets and a baby brother to chew on but I guess fingers are just tastier

Suprisingly our four month old pup isn't very mouthy at all when it comes to people. He occasionally just takes my hand or finger in his mouth to get my attention, but he never chews on me like Ella does. The difference seems to be that Ella was taken from her mum and littermates very young, and Roux remained with his siblings until he was fourteen weeks old, and then had other dogs to wrestle with and learn bite inhibition from.

As for actual biting, rather than playful mouthing or chewing, in my experience, most dogs who bite are pre-empting an attack or are very nervous around people and not really sure how to interact. I've only known one dog who regularly bit with no history of abuse or poor-handling. I think he was just a very nervous dog and he improved after seeing a behaviourist (although I understand it really wasn't a quick-fix).

Teaching recall is one of my favourtie bits of training We're working on this with Roux, and it really is helping having Ella on hand to help out. We started out by teaching him his name - whenever he reacted to it, he got a fuss and lots of praise. He's very praise-orientated and loves being told that he's a "good boy", which is helpful as he is so eager to please.

Once he was reliably responding to his name, we started a series of exercises first in the same room and then in separate rooms, calling him and giving him a fuss and a treat when he came. As he got used to the game, we began moving outside on a longline, and then one day took the plunge and let him go in a secure area. As much as he enjoys running and playing with Ella, he is very much my shadow and will spend ages just hanging around me. If I'm not in his sight, he comes back of his own accord to find me.
All in all, it took him about ten days to learn that when we called his name, it meant "come back". My OH is now teaching him to respond to the dog whistle, which is where Ella is so useful, because she already knows this, and he follows her lead. We have yet to let him off on the beach, or in the woods, as there are so many distractions, so we're confining training to secure areas until he is responding immediately on the first whistle.

There are loads of other techniques, but this is what works for us. I'm sure if you typed "recall training" into the search, it would bring up loads of different ideas and opinions on teaching recall.
hades
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-10-2008, 12:33 PM
Like Viki said nearly every dog if not all are trainable.
A bulldog x staff is no exeption.....
But from what questions you have asked doesnt seem like you have had much expierence with dogs.
If not I wouldnt consider owning this cross for your first dog, both bulldogs and staff I would NOT consider first time dog breeds so a cross of both I would NOT if more so consider a first time dog to own!
Bulldogs and staffies are very strong willed, stubborn, they can be very dominant with other dogs and need to know who the pack leader is from day dot.
They NEED clear leadership and a owner who is firm but fair.
A cross of both will make a very strong dog that will need to be well trained, have manners and know who is boss.

Dont get me wrong it would be a lovely dog... but if you have no expierence with these breeds or at least other dogs you could be asking for trouble.
I mean a small dog that is not trainned is bad enough, but a dog that powerful HAS to be under control at all times!

If you do take on the new dog I suggest you take him to soialization classes and obediance class at a young age to start of on the right foot and before getting him do alot of research on both breeds.
A well mannered, well soicalized and well trainned bulldog x staff would be an a1 family pet...BUT LIKE ANY DOG ITS GONA TAKE ALOT OF HARD WORK AND TIME!

Hope this helps and all the best!!!!