View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2008, 09:03 PM
I just let my 15 year old do and have what ever she wants , at that age I think they deserve it
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2008, 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by Fernsmum View Post
I just let my 15 year old do and have what ever she wants , at that age I think they deserve it
Yep I was pretty much the same with Len, although, once we moved to mum and dad's he was not allowed on the furniture but had a really comfy bed of his own.

He was also allowed to eat when he wanted really. He was given fresh food twice a day but tended to pick at it through out the day rather than eat at set times.

He definately got more and more comical and cheeky as he got older, and took as many liberties as possible....raiding the bin whenever he could. He worked out how to operate the peddle bin at 16, but it hit him under the chin ever single time before he managed to move his head....he never worked that bit out!

He also used to wake up all of a sudden desperate for a wee and run for the first dark space door type thing he could see......usually the fire place. He was often found with his nose pressed against the back of the chimney bresast waiting to be let out! Obviously we kept a close eye on his when the fire was light and lept up to herd him in the right direction!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2008, 02:20 AM
Unfortunately this isn't my house and I'm working on moving because of needing my own rules. He's not allowed on the furniture here but he does have several large comfy beds Apparently they're just not good enough!

I must admit, he seems younger in many ways and is very cheeky. He knows he can get away with more now and today pinched an empty wrapper right out of my hand!

He also jumps upto mouth your hands when you come home which is a new thing but we dn't mind, he never bites properly and he is quite cute...
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2008, 06:14 AM
Bless him, Lottie. I can totally understand you wanting to do what's best for him. Roxy more or less does what she wants.... I agree with Fernsmum - I think she deserves it now.

Hope you manage to get a place of your own soon, hon xxx
Chellie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-10-2008, 06:53 AM
You're not alone Lottie although I can imagine it is difficult if you are not in your own home.

Nala has her 'moments'. Just like the others, she more or less dictates what happens with her day now including what she eats and does but she is such a darling she never takes the p1ss (unless that is her senility making her slow on the uptake?)

Good luck finding your own place.
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2008, 07:54 AM
My Spotty used to pace and whine when she went senile - but only for about an hour in the evening. She was 17 when she started. We asked the vet about it because she looked so distressed and I do remember our vet saying, its more distressing for the owner to watch it.
She also said that if we wanted she could prescribe a mild sedative for the evening - but as Spotty wasn't suffering we passed on that one.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2008, 08:06 AM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
Yep I was pretty much the same with Len, although, once we moved to mum and dad's he was not allowed on the furniture but had a really comfy bed of his own.

He was also allowed to eat when he wanted really. He was given fresh food twice a day but tended to pick at it through out the day rather than eat at set times.

He definately got more and more comical and cheeky as he got older, and took as many liberties as possible....raiding the bin whenever he could. He worked out how to operate the peddle bin at 16, but it hit him under the chin ever single time before he managed to move his head....he never worked that bit out!

He also used to wake up all of a sudden desperate for a wee and run for the first dark space door type thing he could see......usually the fire place. He was often found with his nose pressed against the back of the chimney bresast waiting to be let out! Obviously we kept a close eye on his when the fire was light and lept up to herd him in the right direction!
I had to laugh at your post , my oldest girl takes as many liberties as possible .
I have to feed her 3 times per day because she can't eat much and what she will eat varies . Being a whippet she is thin and I have to try and stop her getting any thinner .
She wears a jumper during the day , a coat when she is out and a fleece coat and cover over her at night otherwise she is frozen .
The minute she wakes in the morning she needs out and very quick . I have a mad dash downstairs with her every morning to get her out .
I just adore her and I'm grateful for every day I still have her
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2008, 09:48 AM
Thanks guys,

Perhaps I could ask about a mild sedative for the evening. I suppose it's only like a person taking nightnurse or kalms!

He's cuddled up on his cushion at the moment and is absolutely fine!

He's very fit for his age, it's just in the evenings this constant barking. Maybe I'll kick Takara off her big cushion onto the hearth rug in an evening and double up the cushions for him
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2008, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
It's so tough Catrin cos during the day he's so switched on that it's tough to justify putting him to sleep.

At night time you think 'it's definitely his time' but by the time morning comes he's fine again!

I don't want to make him suffer but he's so with it most of the time, it's just evenings. (And I've just let him on the sofa with me and he's fine now!)

I dont' want to call it a day and then find out there was soemthing I could've done for him either.
Aww I know how you feel What does your vet think? Have you explained this to him/her?
I know exactly how you feel. We were like that with Jake (boxer) although he did not have dementia he had other medical problems and the vet was soo nice. He knew that Jake's time was nigh but he tried everthing he could think of. and told us this by the way. So that when the time came we knew in our hearts that we had tried everything humaly possible.
So sorry for you it is so upsetting when your dogs get old. At least you can comfort yourself by knowing that they do not know what is happening. They don't know their old unlike us humans who fear our mortality. Hope this helps
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-10-2008, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
Perhaps I could ask about a mild sedative for the evening. I suppose it's only like a person taking nightnurse or kalms!
Erm, why not give him the kalms with his tea? ok, they take a week or so to build up in the system but it might stop him stressing if it is stress related. One of mine used to start having calms at the end of September till about January as he was a neurotic mess because of the fire works.

If not Kalms themselves then try skullcap and valarien from somewhere like Dorwest Herbs. DAP spray on his favourite bed (if you can get T off it) might help too.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >