Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2008, 08:32 PM

Barking and Whining constantly - dementia

So we've decided Eddy's going senile... he's been on Aktivait for a while but it appears to have stopped working...

But there's something I don't understand. Throughout the day he's happy as larry. Sleeps ok, goes for walks and usually enjoys them, doesn't bark too much (although at certain points he does).

But then in the evening, after about 6pm he whines and barks constantly until he goes to bed. Then he'll sometimes have more barking before he settles (about 10-11pm).

I really don't understand why he does it more in the evening. We thought it was the old Canine Dementia setting in, but why only in the evenings?

Okay, so our behaviour is different in the evenings (ie. we settle down) but even throughout the day I sit on the sofa using the laptop and he settles ok, then in the evening he doesn't.

He never used to do it.

It's really getting me down now and it's just as well we don't currently have neighbours but is there anything I can do??

It concerns me because he seems distressed a lot of the time when he's doing it and it doesn't matter whether I ignore him, wrap him up, cuddle him or what, he's still the same. If I take him for a walk he's happy for the walk then gets back and does the same.

Is it just nearly his time? Or is there anything you can think of to shut him up (preferably not gaffa tape!)
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2008, 08:35 PM
Oh dear, it is difficult to deal with when they go like that. Dementia makes dogs, and people, get nights and days muddled up and just behave oddly!

My old dog used to lick my legs obsessivly, and even fall asleep while licking with his tongue still pressed on my legs.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2008, 08:43 PM
It's so tough Catrin cos during the day he's so switched on that it's tough to justify putting him to sleep.

At night time you think 'it's definitely his time' but by the time morning comes he's fine again!

I don't want to make him suffer but he's so with it most of the time, it's just evenings. (And I've just let him on the sofa with me and he's fine now!)

I dont' want to call it a day and then find out there was soemthing I could've done for him either.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2008, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
It's so tough Catrin cos during the day he's so switched on that it's tough to justify putting him to sleep.

At night time you think 'it's definitely his time' but by the time morning comes he's fine again!

I don't want to make him suffer but he's so with it most of the time, it's just evenings. (And I've just let him on the sofa with me and he's fine now!)

I dont' want to call it a day and then find out there was soemthing I could've done for him either.
Yes, i can imagine. It is hard, but i think you know when the time comes. Lenny was senile for ages (he lived until he was 20) but even when he was senile he still had a good quality of life, going for short walks, pottering round the garden, cuddles, etc.

Lenny also used to ask to go out loads, and then want to come straight back in again....just forgetful i suppose.

Did you say he was on vivitonin? I found that really good for Lenny's dementia, it increases blood flow to everywhere....including the brain.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2008, 08:55 PM
My oldest dog is 15 , all day she s fine until about 4pm - 7pm , she then whines and is restless and wants out constantly . So I know how you are feeling , she doesn't settle till about 7pm when she falls asleep . The rest of the time and all through the night she is fine .
I find I have to sit with her , she takes ages to fall asleep and keeps looking to see if I'm still there . Once she goes to sleep she is fine .
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2008, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by Fernsmum View Post
My oldest dog is 15 , all day she s fine until about 4pm - 7pm , she then whines and is restless and wants out constantly . So I know how you are feeling , she doesn't settle till about 7pm when she falls asleep . The rest of the time and all through the night she is fine .
I find I have to sit with her , she takes ages to fall asleep and keeps looking to see if I'm still there . Once she goes to sleep she is fine .
Aww it's so sad isn't it.....but i don't think that it means that they don't have a good quality of life. They can be happy.....just a bit confused and disorientated at times!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2008, 08:58 PM
could his eye sight be getting a bit fuzzy? poss with the darker nights, its making things a bit confusing for him?
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2008, 09:00 PM
Thanks guys.

I was really worried that I was being selfish but he seems so fine the rest of the time.

I do wonder quite how senile he is... he's been whining and barking and the moment I let him on the sofa he settled... hmmmm!

I think it's going to be a case of relaxing the rules for him a little (and as a result, having less time to find somewhere new to live as mum REALLY doesn't want him on the furniture!)

You've made me feel better now that I know other dogs live on with it still having a good quality of life. I'd feel like I'd given up on him too soon if I let him go now. He's far too alive for that.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2008, 09:01 PM
When you think about it they are not that different from babies who always seem to have a certain time of the day ( usually the evening ) when they are very unsettled
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2008, 09:03 PM
Do you feed him in the evenings, Spencer who's 5 gets nasty about 9 becuase I feed him at 7.
Could be you need to change is diet, as dogs get older they need less
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >