View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2008, 01:03 PM
I don't think you are over reacting as you have children. I definately think you should find a behaviourist, either using the peter neville link or the www.APBC.org.uk link. They will ask if you have taken the dog for a full vet check first so you might as well do that first.

It will cost you money but if you are dedicated to getting to the bottom of the issue and helping your dog settle back into your family happily then it will be money well spent.

In the mean time i would not let your child near the dog without your full superivsion and do not let the child approach the dog, let the dog chose when it wants to approach the child.

The sooner you start the better. Please do not be tempted to look elsewhere for a cheaper behaviourist as unfortunately there are people who call themselves behaviourists with no qualifications and whose methods leave a lot to be desired. The only methods that should be used are postive ones.

Good luck and keep us posted!
ESH
New Member!
Female 

15-10-2008, 03:23 PM
Hi everyone, thanks for all the posts.
i have been on to the vets, they said it would not be in pain (how the nurse could tell this without actually seeing her) so i am going to phone again and speak to another nurse to make the appointment. In the mean time i have made an appointment to speak to a dog behavourist, she has a good rep, and works at a vet hospital. So hopefully she will be good and help me sort this out.

To add, i tooj poppy over the recreation area where i normally do with my neighbour, and she was great with her, my neighbour stroked her around her head and collar etc and she just licked and got excited and loving like she normally does with me.

I am worried cos of my on, but really want to sort it out as i love my dog and so does my son, and we dont want to see her go.

I really hope this behaviourist will help. I will keep everyone posted.

And thanks for being kind and helpful.

ESH xx xx xx
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2008, 03:35 PM
So sorry about your Springer. Sensitive issue coming up please don't be offended but no one has asked yet.
Do you think your son has done something to frighten your dog? He may have hurt it (inadvertantly) rough play etc?
Perhaps it was just a seperation thing you say the dog is fine now with your neigbour?
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2008, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by elaineb View Post
Perhaps it was just a seperation thing you say the dog is fine now with your neigbour?
Hi,
im ESH's neighbour and was with her the first couple of times she snapped at me. So seperation is not an issue.
ATD x
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2008, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
Hi,
im ESH's neighbour and was with her the first couple of times she snapped at me. So seperation is not an issue.
ATD x
No, I mean while she was in the kennels she might have been stressed by seperation and as she is fine with you since coming home that's all I meant
ESH
New Member!
Female 

15-10-2008, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by elaineb View Post
So sorry about your Springer. Sensitive issue coming up please don't be offended but no one has asked yet.
Do you think your son has done something to frighten your dog? He may have hurt it (inadvertantly) rough play etc?
As you do not know my son, i will not take offence. But if you did know him, the question would not enter your mind, my son is the most loving caring child one could know. He would never hurt poppy. My son has had her as a pet since he was 3, nothing has ever happened where he has hurt her.

I understand, some children have not had the correct discipline, but mine has, and thus he would never do anything like this.

I will be seeing a behaviourist soon, so hopefully she will shed some light on the problem.

Again, thank you everyone for all your posts. x ESH x
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2008, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by ESH View Post
yes, she gets regular excercise, she loves her runs and her swims.
Yes we trainer der when we first got her, as i said she is well behaved (except for this problem)
My neighbour comes round quite often, we walk our dogs together.
Sorry but cant see why you are confused, as i explained this earlier that she comes round alot. The one time i was seeing to my son, putting his coat on, my neighbour said that she would put her collar on for me so we could get going.That is when it happens, for example.
You said you trained her when you first got her , you do know that training has to be gone over all through a dogs life , even with guide dogs for example who are really well trained ?
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2008, 07:59 AM
Originally Posted by ESH View Post
i have been on to the vets, they said it would not be in pain (how the nurse could tell this without actually seeing her) so i am going to phone again and speak to another nurse to make the appointment.
You are quite correct here - how could the vet nurse know pain is not involved?! I'd suggest she stops trying to give advice when she is clearly not qualified to do so.

Another person who may be of use is an animal chiropractor. For example, if your dog has been in any way hurt at the kennels (eg, check chain used overly harshly, halti head collar being yanked, dog put on long line to exercise but accidentally yanked on it....) a chiropractor may be of more help, possibly, than a vet.

It may be useful to find out what equipment was used on your dog and how she was exercised. It may give a clue as to the problem.

After all if she was fine before she went into kennels, it is possible something did occur when she was there. Do you know what reason the kennels does not have a good reputation amongst other kennels in the area?

In the mean time i have made an appointment to speak to a dog behavourist, she has a good rep, and works at a vet hospital. So hopefully she will be good and help me sort this out.
That sound promising, is it Sarah Heath by any chance?

To add, i tooj poppy over the recreation area where i normally do with my neighbour, and she was great with her, my neighbour stroked her around her head and collar etc and she just licked and got excited and loving like she normally does with me.
Strange, isn't it? Maybe it is something to do with being out and away from home in the sense that outside she feels more relaxed for some reason? Was she on or off lead at this time?

I really hope this behaviourist will help. I will keep everyone posted.
Do please keep us posted, it would be very interesting to hear what the behaviourist says. I do hope it is a matter that is easily sorted out - will keep fingers and toes all crossed for you!

Kind regards
Wys
x
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2008, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Strange, isn't it? Maybe it is something to do with being out and away from home in the sense that outside she feels more relaxed for some reason? Was she on or off lead at this time?
Hi,
It has been different occasions.

1) She was off lead, I was trying to put her on lead whilst at home,
2) she was off lead at my house and I was trying to put her outside.
3) She was off lead in the park and i tried to hold her to race her with my dog.

Poppy is just a puzzle lol. I rang on springer rescue on ESH behalf for advise and he said straight away she needs rehoming and the was over the phone. What a pratt!!

ATD x
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2008, 05:58 PM
Any news?
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »