Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
enerosar
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-12-2006, 10:34 AM

Pros and Cons to American Cocker and Bull Mastiffe

Ok im not looking to get another dog yet, not so close to loosing Barney, but this has been a constant debate in our house.

My next dog i would like an American Cocker, I have always loved the breed, they are close the a Cavalier size as i still have 2 Cavs. I dont want a breed with heart probs.

Ste would like a Bull Mastife. He had one but his ex gave it a bone when he wasnt there and she choked on it. He says they are good with children, and great dogs. I know nothing about the breed.

We have 3 dogs, 2 CKCS, 1 xbreed. We have a baby whos nearly 12mth old. Our house in sourounded by sheep feilds, with 1 neighbour, some lovely dog walks through sheep feilds, so the breed would have to be ok near sheep. with children, other dogs.

Like i said we are not looking for now, but the future. We will get from a good breeder who checks all there breeding stock. I only want a pet not for breeding or showing. We will go and see litters when we are ready.
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2006, 10:47 AM
I think Nursey keeps American cockers,so she could probably tell you a thing or two,
Someone we knew had one but it was very poorly bred,the minute i first saw her i said to OH 'oh my shes a terrible example',she was very manky looking,had bad eyes,didn't walk well and had an awful temprement,very snappy,we just found out she has a tumour too,which is too far gone,shes only 4,poor mite and has a few months left.i don't know much about this breed,but the well bred ones do look stunning.So again good breeders are a must.
With regards to Bull mastiffs i have known a few and they were all very sweet natured (only met males though) and all lived with a family with children.lovely breed.I would imagine they'd be hard work though especially when you have a baby as well.
Good luck with your research xxxxxxxx
enerosar
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-12-2006, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by tink View Post
I think Nursey keeps American cockers,so she could probably tell you a thing or two,
Someone we knew had one but it was very poorly bred,the minute i first saw her i said to OH 'oh my shes a terrible example',she was very manky looking,had bad eyes,didn't walk well and had an awful temprement,very snappy,we just found out she has a tumour too,which is too far gone,shes only 4,poor mite and has a few months left.i don't know much about this breed,but the well bred ones do look stunning.So again good breeders are a must.
With regards to Bull mastiffs i have known a few and they were all very sweet natured (only met males though) and all lived with a family with children.lovely breed.I would imagine they'd be hard work though especially when you have a baby as well.Good luck with your research xxxxxxxx

Thats the bit im worried about, im at home all day (work in the eve when ste is home) so it will be me with the dogs all day. I have only ever had small dogs or a Lab/Lab x's Cody does take up alot of time still being a baby. Ste said getting a bull Mastiff when Cody is a baby is best as they will grow up together and he will look after Cody.

Hope others can offer some adivse re both breeds.
thanks
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2006, 02:41 PM
I have a bullmastiff

Very loyal, will protect the house if needed, but playful!
Teagan is enegetic, but if I can't take her for a walk for some reason, it doesn't bother her!
She's happy to sleep in the living room all day lol

I don't have kids, but people with kids & BM's I know all work well together

EDIT: I just want to add...if you do go for a Bull mastiff, PLEASE research them, and find a decent breeder, who does ALL relevent health tests.
There are so many BM's being churned out by people who don't have a clue