Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-07-2007, 08:32 AM

Starting New Agility Class

Earlier this year , I took Missy to some agility classes. This was a beginners class , teaching the basics with the dog on lead learning how to use the equipment. We progressed very well and by the end of the 8 week course , the dogs were all working off lead. The classes stopped over the summer , due to our instructors show/ agility/ working trials commitments. I have taken a step further now by contacting another club , on my instructor's recommendation , and Missy is now booked in for a 10 week course with Broxburn Dog Training Club :smt041. The first class is on Tuesday 11th September at the Scottish National Equine Centre , Oatridge College , Broxburn. The indoor arena is HUGE , and is very well lit , so my video camera will be in full use , I'll just need to ask someone very nicely to video Missy in action . Patch , Watch This Space !
x_rose_x
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-07-2007, 08:39 AM
Hey, Cool, hope you have fun!

Thats where I was/am thinking of taking Rose, but will probaly not take her til next year. So let me know if its/they are any good
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-07-2007, 08:54 AM
Originally Posted by x_rose_x View Post
Hey, Cool, hope you have fun!

Thats where I was/am thinking of taking Rose, but will probaly not take her til next year. So let me know if its/they are any good
As far as I know , a lot of the club members actually compete. I know the club definitely holds agility shows for members , as I've seen them advertised on Agilitynet. You are more than welcome to come along with me so you will be able to watch the class and judge for yourself. Missy has already done the basic training so the class we are doing is the next one up , which this club calls Early Advanced. I expect it will be an intermediate class where the dogs ( and handlers) are taught more about moving on between obstacles. I'm really looking forward to it. I've already bought an Agility Record Book , and one of the people who run the club is an official KC measurer ! Oh , and the course is £44 for 10 weeks.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2007, 02:45 PM
Aha ! I wondered why there had`nt been any updates, that explains it !

Great to see you have found a new club and heck yes I`m watching this space
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-07-2007, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Aha ! I wondered why there had`nt been any updates, that explains it !

Great to see you have found a new club and heck yes I`m watching this space
Sorry Patch , I should have really let you know sooner.
I've already got everything I need ( I think) to go to a show. I've got the Agility Record Book , Rules & Regs book , form to put Missy on the Activities Register , a pair of Astroturf Hockey shoes. Now I just need to put everything together. Some more training for me and Missy , send the form off to the Kennel Club , get her officially measured , which will be done through this club . These guys will even help when it comes to filling in my first entry form , AND they even help when you go to your first show . I PROMISE , there WILL be piccies/ videos this time .
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2007, 08:32 PM
Blimey, you don`t have to answer to me hun, I`m sorry if I sounded pushy

I just get excited for doglets and owners giving agility a try, and love seeing how the partnerships get on

Sounds like you have found a lovely club and I`m so looking forward to seeing photies and vids [ thats not an order, just me looking forward to seeing them ]

Dont forget to add to the list, deck chair and flask - unbreakable flasks are best
I`ve lost count of how many ordinary ones I`ve gone through including forgetting I`d left one leaning against my old car and driving over it, oops :smt005 [ Yes I picked up every single bit of the poor squished thing lol ].

Then there`s the one I put on the bonnet ready to use at the start of a days training at the club I used to be with when one of the students came over to say hello and her dog jumped on the bonnet and sent my flask flying so it broke and meant I had nothing to drink all day [ That dogs handler learned lots of very tricky handling moves that day but she did enjoy it though ]
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-07-2007, 09:03 PM
Didn't think for one minute you were being pushy . I just thought it would be polite to apologise for my lack of agility posts . I can't wait for these classes to start , I'm already counting the days . 42 days to go .
x_rose_x
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-08-2007, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by Missysmum View Post
As far as I know , a lot of the club members actually compete. I know the club definitely holds agility shows for members , as I've seen them advertised on Agilitynet. You are more than welcome to come along with me so you will be able to watch the class and judge for yourself. Missy has already done the basic training so the class we are doing is the next one up , which this club calls Early Advanced. I expect it will be an intermediate class where the dogs ( and handlers) are taught more about moving on between obstacles. I'm really looking forward to it. I've already bought an Agility Record Book , and one of the people who run the club is an official KC measurer ! Oh , and the course is £44 for 10 weeks.

Thanks Suzanne... my mums just thinking about seeing if they have any places left in the basic class and start with Rose this year as she has been improving alot and listening/focusing on us getting her bronze gcds with all those other dogs/people around proved that

Where'd you get your Agility Record Book??
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2007, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by x_rose_x View Post
Thanks Suzanne... my mums just thinking about seeing if they have any places left in the basic class and start with Rose this year as she has been improving alot and listening/focusing on us getting her bronze gcds with all those other dogs/people around proved that

Where'd you get your Agility Record Book??
Hi Megan,

I recently got both my dogs measured for competition agility, after receiving the registration papers.

It was Margaret at Broxburn who measured Molly and Roxy not so long ago, I got an agility record book from them.

Roxy is not yet at competition standard! She'll get there though! I'm practicing the weave most days. That's the hardest thing for her, everything else she's fine with.

However, you don't need (or I think get) and agility record book until you have been registered.

I wil be joining a new agility club later in the year, i'm deciding between two at the moment!

Just now i'm practicing with what equipment I have, which is proving very good indeed!

Suzanne,

Good luck with agility! It is great fun and i'm sure Missy will do well, she sounds like a clever girl!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2007, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by Missysmum View Post
Oh, you've already got your book, Suzanne?! Jeeso, you're keen! Good for you! I didn't think you could get the books until after you had registered the dog.

£44 for ten weeks is excellent!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >