Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gizmo2011
New Member!
Female 

08-02-2011, 04:36 PM

Hi Everyone!(Puppy with heart murmur)

Hi there!
I am new to this site and am hoping to gain advice from all you doggy people out there!
I adopted Gizmo, a 20 week old Cocker Spaniel on saturday (all of his litter were given to CAESSR as the owner couldn't sell them for his asking price and the bitch fell pregnant again)
So we brought him home with us, not house trained and never been on a lead...let the fun begin!
Today I had him vaccinated and checked and the vet told me he had a Grade 5 heart murmur...devistated is not the word!
I have been told that it may get better (never go) but still Im devistated. any info on this will be greatly appreciated!!
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 08:22 PM
Hi and welcome to Dogsey So sorry to hear that Gizmo has heart murmour and it may well be worth also posting on the Dog Health thread for advice.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-02-2011, 08:50 PM
Hello Laura welcome to Dogsey and congratulations on adopting Gizmo.

A heart murmur is actually a symptom of a number of conditions with different causes.
Puppy heart murmurs can improve as the puppy matures. I would talk to your vet about your puppy and whether or not it can be helped with medication.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-02-2011, 08:55 PM
I saw a cocker pup in rescue over the last couple of days with a known grade 5 murmur i wonder if its from the same litter ..
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 09:01 PM
Hi and welcome.Sorry your pup has a grade 5 murmer we have a 7 year old beagle who also has the same and has had it from birth,like you we decided to keep him and give him a good life for the amount of time he has,the first few months were hard you find yourself thinking about it and worrying but then you forget most of the time Darwin has had no affects fron his murmer up to now we need to keep an eye out for coughing breathlessness and reluctance to excercise,other than that he is a normal dog ,A pup on beagle welfare had the same problem and was rehomed a couple of weeks ago so it is fairly common.No one knows what the future holds so live for now and take each day as it comes Darwin tried to finish himself off by eating a fish hook last year but after a huge op and a few days of worry he is ok. I hope your pup has many years ahead of him.