View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2010, 12:10 PM
We've been showing for about 6 years now and my first show dog hated it so we bought another and retired him. At the moment we have 7 welshies only one of which we show although if I can get weight on Grace she will come out in Junior.
When people ask why I dont move the others on to a pet home I tell them there already in one!!!
The only dog I have moved to another home was Woody and this was because Dice his dad wouldnt tolerate him and they were fighting. He still comes back here to be trimmed and we go see him regularily.
With regards cheating or "Face Judging" yes it does happen but we just choose not to go under the judges who we know do this.
We show because we enjoy it and so does Ross, we always take the whole pack with us and caravan and we have met some very nice people over the last few years some who have become very close friends.
Also with regards to the breed standards, I think a lot of the problem in that rather than breeding to the standard some people try to change the standard to fit the dog.
Our standard has had one small chance over the years and that was done after much discussion with all four clubs and slightly amended the wording on eye shape.
It's also worth remembering that the breed clubs dictate the breed standards not the KC.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2010, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
Are the type of dog showers who trot their dog up and down in front of a judge just too wussy and unable to train their dogs to do 'the real thing' like agility or obedience?
that made me laugh out loud,
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2010, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
Showing isn’t something I am ‘against’. It isn’t something I am a fan of either though, but I do watch crufts… I just enjoy seeing all the dogs

I know that there are many genuine dog lovers, whose dogs are first and foremost a pet and it is their pets needs that come first. but not all show people are, and it is those people who I dislike.

I dislike those show people who discard a dog as soon as they fail to win, or do well.
yep, so do most show people
I dislike those show people who get a puppy purely to show, and if that poor pup fails to do so, its rehomed without a second glance.
I dislike those show people who breed their dog purely because they can charge a lot of money for the pups due to the parents showing success.
I dislike those show people who keep their dogs in kennels.
this one I wonder about....why is it wrong to kennel dogs?
I dislike those show people who rehome their females as soon as they are too old to produce countless puppies for them, and get a new female to take over that role.
I dislike those show people who don’t let their dogs be dogs.
The list can go on and on…

I don’t dislike showing or all show people, and I know most who show do it for fun and love their dog dearly, and do put them first. not all do though, sadly.
not all pet owners do either. I groom pet dogs every day and the majority of them are not well cared for. Fed on rubbish, under exercised, ungroomed. This is the reality of most pet dogs in the UK, our nation of animal lovers.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2010, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Yes I agree, totaly the changes for the worse that go on over the years - when the standard is supposed to keep the dogs uniform and 'pure' (arguments people have used in the past)

I also dislike breeding for looks over working ability
Form follows function, if the dogs are bred for generations to do the job they are supposed to do then people dont have to wet their pants about an angle of a stifle or something
but if the turn of stifle is not right it has a knock on effect on the rest of the bone structure placing pressure on other bones,

if you then go on and breed a dog with the wrong back end conformation to another with similar flaws then you double up on the problem,

before you know where you are you have bug*ered up the whole thing.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2010, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
i think show people just get offended and defensive when the topic comes up. ...
I dont feel I become offended or defensive when this subject is brought up, I have no reason to, I own fab dogs, that are very well trained and behaved, they can turn a paw to a tad more than just showing though,

what I think does upset me and possibly others is silly comments or comments made purely on assumptions or word of mouth, these people often have never met a dog that is shown....
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2010, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
but if the turn of stifle is not right it has a knock on effect on the rest of the bone structure placing pressure on other bones,

if you then go on and breed a dog with the wrong back end conformation to another with similar flaws then you double up on the problem,

before you know where you are you have bug*ered up the whole thing.
yup true, but that also follows when a judges preference is for something a fraction of an inch differentand then people get used to seeing something different and that becomes the norm. the dogs slowly over time change from the shapes and angles of the working dog and you are left with a breed that would be unable to do the job it was designed for

an example springing to mind was a corgi owner i met at an agility show
her dog was great, did the whole course but ran tru all the jumps. she told me hd loved his agility but the show corgies have been bred with too long a back to be able to even jump small jumps
not much use for a working dog
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-04-2010, 03:35 PM
yup true, but that also follows when a judges preference is for something a fraction of an inch differentand then people get used to seeing something different and that becomes the norm. the dogs slowly over time change from the shapes and angles of the working dog and you are left with a breed that would be unable to do the job it was designed for

her dog was great, did the whole course but ran tru all the jumps. she told me hd loved his agility but the show corgies have been bred with too long a back to be able to even jump small jumps
Well as I am guessing Corgis where not bred to jump through hoops at all , so why would not beign able to jump through a hoop impinge the job he was bred for???
rubylover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-04-2010, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs:
. . . but the show corgies have been bred with too long a back to be able to even jump small jumps not much use for a working dog
reply from Jackbox:
"Well as I am guessing Corgis where not bred to jump through hoops at all , so why would not beign able to jump through a hoop impinge the job he was bred for???"
The point was about not being able to jump even small jumps. This would be absolutely useless for a working dog . . . why would someone even want to argue this example?

Ruby
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2010, 04:18 PM

assuming that all breeders would jump to the judges wants.....I for one would not, could not, I dont breed often enough to keep up with fashions in the show ring the dogs I have will have to last me in the ring until its old, its not going to change, Im sure many fashions may come and go by the time I have another youngster to take out...lol
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-04-2010, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by rubylover View Post
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs:
. . . but the show corgies have been bred with too long a back to be able to even jump small jumps not much use for a working dog
reply from Jackbox:
"Well as I am guessing Corgis where not bred to jump through hoops at all , so why would not beign able to jump through a hoop impinge the job he was bred for???"
The point was about not being able to jump even small jumps. This would be absolutely useless for a working dog . . . why would someone even want to argue this example?
Ruby
Ermmm, if I wish to argue an example I will, I have no need to justify it . but!!

Firstly my answer was in connection with agility as the corgi was the breed of subject, if one wants an agility dog dont get one that is not constructed to run round a agility ring jumping through or over hoops.

How you can say a dog that cant do agility is useless as a working dog, is beyond me... its a herding dog, not one that needs to jump walls and obstacles... even something as small as a corgi with a long back and short legs can mange to jump un on the odd sofa ,knee when it wants too..so I am sure if it was working it might be able to tackle the odd fallen log or small gape in the fence when needed.

My point was, one your obviously missed was , if you want a dog that can do a round of agility jumps, get one that can do it with ease...
Page 11 of 36 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 > Last »