Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2008, 07:40 PM

Yyyeeeeeeaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

DINGO SUSSED IT!!!!! WOO HOOOOOO!!!!! I love my little doggy so much right now, not that I didn't before but I just want to keep smothering him in kisses. With his new trainer, we walked towards a whole group of dogs and with a firm no given and a quick correction on the collar we marched on in. We walked for ages and any dog we found we made a beeline for it and every time Dingo was given a firm 'NO' when he tried to react. Well, using repetative training, he's finally got the message, I DON'T WANT HIM TO BARK!!!!! He has finally learnt his position in 'the pack' I suppose for want of a better description. Even when we had someone come into the house today he would normally rush at them barking but instead he looked to me for the command instead.

The only down side to the day was his previous trainer saw us working so came over but before he did we saw him puff up his chest and start to strutt. He then forced an introduction onto our new trainer and then went on to walk around myself and my husband chatting to us. The first thing I thought was he is acting like an alpha dog here and trying to reclaim a pack member almost. It was really quite funny to watch. It has been explained to him that we were going to look at alternative methods to see what worked for Dingo.

Our new trainer is also going to teach us about whistle training as well so we can still work with Dingo from a distance. I'm so excited.

Heidi
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2008, 07:42 PM
Awww, well done to you and Dingo.

Its an amazing feeling isn't it, when you see them making progress - worth every ounce of the effort you put in
Ali
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-06-2008, 07:49 PM
Well done

Its great when things go right isn't it?
sallyinlancs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-06-2008, 07:51 PM
Yayy! Well done you and Dingo! It's so good when you make a breakthrough like that.
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2008, 08:09 PM
I don't know whether it was doggy overload so he was forced to learn to be quiet and that other dogs are allowed to be there as well as him or whether or not the penny finally dropped. All I know is it's worked. The feeling is amazing. I'm not sure what the people thought around me when they saw me jumping up and down with my dog in my arms telling him what a clever boy he is. This was one of my biggest problems with him and in all honesty I never thought we would make it to the top of this mountain. I know we're still on a slippery slope but for now we have found a firm footing.

Heidi
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2008, 08:10 PM
Great news, Heidi.

I guess this means you're not posting Dingo to me then...?

Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2008, 08:19 PM
Give him a few hours until he's been norty again Vicki and he may still make it to you, just slightly better trained than he was last week. LOL

Heidi
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2008, 08:22 PM
way to go hun