Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2008, 01:14 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
But surely you must've known how long the lease was for? If it was only a 12 month lease then I personally wouldn't of bred incase it wasn't renewed!
Originally Posted by myschievous View Post
With all the leases I have had, they arn't renewed they just turn into a rolling contract after the first 6 months...At anytime after that a landlord can give you just two months notice that you must leave at anytime...It's what makes renting a real b*tch.

Also many landlords are not honest about exactly how long the lease is intended to be open for...The place we lived before this one said long term and we were asked to leave after 4 months! [because of his own personal circumstances] This place we were told was going to definitely be longer than 2 years and guess what 18 months in and we are asked to leave another place and the response we got when we complained about that time frame was that they thought just 6 months was long term! [Are they taking the p*ss?] When we took this place they new we had only made it to 5 months [by the time we left] in the previous place and we couldn't have made it more clear that this place must be for at least 2yrs plus as we did not want to have to move again so soon - well hey, here we are now! If people want a person in and paying rent as soon as possible they tell you what they want at the time and there is nothing you can do about it. Two months is all they owe you by law. I can't stand the landlords that we have had.

Realistically we shouldn't have our two dogs because we rent but I know they are as secure with us than they would be with any home owner - my dogs are my world.
Exactly, I 100% agree.

I think some of these comments have been slightly unfair. Some people, are never likely to own their own home for one reason or another, so are those people then doomed to a life without a dog 'just in case' ? Piffle !!

Going back a few years ago, we had good jobs, nice cars, money etc, etc, spent what we had saved on our children that Christmas, took a short holiday and on our return (Xmas Eve) we were both made Redundant (worked for the same company that closed down) with NO notice. We tried to have a normal Xmas, but couldn't, neither of us were due anything except holiday pay which had been used, as we weren't there long enough. The day after Boxing day, our Agent called to say that our Landlord was having financial issues and needed to sell the house, so we too got our notice (in a rental that was apparently for the long term, indicating many years, hence taking on the tenancy). No job, nearly no home. We couldn't find anywhere quick enough as we had no jobs, couldn't look for work properly because we were spending every waking hour trying to get hold of our landlord and looking for somewhere to live..........BAM you're homeless !!!

Our landlord was a Doctor that had fallen off the wagon (unbeknown to us at the time of renting) and lost his job, so sold his house in 3 weeks. Luckily we could stay until the notice was up, but it still wasnt enough.

Nobody should have to be in that position NOT to have chidlren or a dog, JUST because they rent !!

Looking around now, especially in Devon, most rentals don't allow children either, so what do they want.......ROBOTS ???

Friends of ours (a married couple) who both worked at the same company, lost their home that they were buying. It was their first home, but the debts came too quickly looking for work over Xmas, so they too lost out, so dont anyone think your home is for life, unless of course it's already paid for. I spoke to someone this morning who is worried because of interest rates that have bumped her mortgage and she's afraid of losing her small home too !!

Whether you rent or buy or whatever, no-one should say you cannot have a 'LIFE' whether that's a child or a dog !

Many are now priced out of the housing market (us included) so we will be probably renting for life. Getting on the property ladder isn't as easy as it used to be. Even with 2 good incomes and no debts, we couldn't afford a mortgage !

What is this world coming to ?

For those with negative comments, I truly hope you are never in this postition of insecurity for life ! It's devastating, so please don't judge !
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2008, 01:20 AM
I agree my friends who do dog rescue have been in the same rented propery for 11 years on a 6 monthd short lease. Last week they were given two months notice out of the blue, hopefully we think theyve found somewhere else to rent but it leans a major upheaval. If it wasnt for them 100's of abandoned working dogs would have been prs over the last 10 years. we cant all own property, and in fact were thinking of selling up and renting as its not big enough for the dogs and we cant really afford much bigger.
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-02-2008, 01:38 AM
With all the leases I have had, they arn't renewed they just turn into a rolling contract after the first 6 months...At anytime after that a landlord can give you just two months notice that you must leave at anytime...It's what makes renting a real b*tch.
Actually that's not strictly true as the tenant doesn't have to leave the property at the end of the notice period, but can stay in the property but must still pay the rent until the court has granted the landlord a possession order and bailiffs warrant.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2008, 01:48 AM
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
Actually that's not strictly true as the tenant doesn't have to leave the property at the end of the notice period, but can stay in the property but must still pay the rent until the court has granted the landlord a possession order and bailiffs warrant.
Which in 99% of cases is an extra 28 days ! I doesn't solve the problem, it just gives extra time, and I for one, with children wouldnt want to wait until a bailiff turned up to turf us out on the street !

Going back some years, I worked temporarily with the homeless and was shocked to the core at the stats. Almost a third of homeless applicants were respected, upstanding families who had lost their homes because of landlords giving notice and not enough available tenancies to basically go round ! It causes mayhem, as many then lose their jobs through travel, the cost of the Gov B&Bs, Stress etc, it's a nasty vicious circle to be in. To see families with small children, and elderly people, living in B&B's/hostels with drug users, people just released from prison, and people with mental problems is hard, and this government finds that acceptable, it's disgusting !
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-02-2008, 01:59 AM
Your right it doesn't solve the problem, but 28 days or so could make all the difference between leaving one address and being able to move into somewhere else, plus the puppies would be that much older and hopefully will then be able to fend for themselves and not be reliant upon the mother.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2008, 02:02 AM
Good point, I wasnt thinking of the puppies, just Becky and the dogs !

Oops I'm in trouble
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2008, 02:16 AM
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
True, I was just pointing out that the renewal of contracts for any guaranteed amount of time wasn't how leases work after the first 6 months...I.E that there is no agreeing to take out a further 12 months on a property or renewal of contract which is what I think rips thought.

I keep getting reminded we have squatters rights but honestly I'm too damn proud to have people hammering at the door and lots from hassle from people / authorities wanting me out of my 'home'.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2008, 02:22 AM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
Looking around now, especially in Devon, most rentals don't allow children either, so what do they want.......ROBOTS ???
I say that all the time when I see, no children, no smokers, no pets, no....

I think some landlords just want the rent but for you to not actually live in the damn house lol.

And it's dumb too as you could get a single person who lives like a real slob and wrecks the place or a couple with kids or pets that may keep the place well kept.

We helped a lady clean up after one guy left his accommodation and it was gross!

I can even understand the no smokers or kids bit but no pets!
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2008, 07:12 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
I agree but you'd be surprised, some people don't accept any colour but black as a poodle! However, most people already have poodles and want one of a different colour!
Becky
Same in collies becky!

Obviously im worried about you & the pups, ....but what about the "internet"
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2008, 09:22 AM
I say that all the time when I see, no children, no smokers, no pets, no....

I think some landlords just want the rent but for you to not actually live in the damn house lol.

And it's dumb too as you could get a single person who lives like a real slob and wrecks the place or a couple with kids or pets that may keep the place well kept.

We helped a lady clean up after one guy left his accommodation and it was gross!

I can even understand the no smokers or kids bit but no pets!
Our friends rented with 3 dogs, on a proviso that the house was professionally cleaned when they left. In fact, the house was spotless when they left, you'd never know they'd had dogs living there!

And on the other end of the spectrum, we've a mate that rents houses and he's had to totally redecorate after a couple lived there with no kids and no pets. They trashed the place and he spent over £5,000 to sort it out
Closed Thread
Page 11 of 17 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »