View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Doggydina
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-12-2007, 02:29 PM

PLEASE help ! Dog 'scent marking' the house?!?!

Hi everyone !

Please help before I loose the will to live !

My OH is in the process of moving in, he takes his dog over, and entire male, and he spends the night and is here most of the time. I have two dogs, and male and female, both neutered.

My problem is his dog is peeing in the house ALL the time ! ! OH says's he's scent marking, to cover the scent of my dogs, and there's nothing he can do about it. I think that's rubbish and he can do something about it.

Advise and opinions please.

Thanks
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2007, 04:58 PM
Yes he is right he is scent marking I had this for a while with my boy ( I have two) You will just have to watch them and be ready to clean and cover - sorry but it is quite normal.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2007, 05:23 PM
I would also ensure that he is restricted in the house until he settles in and also given as much opportunity to go outside so he is as 'empty' as possible!
Becky
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2007, 05:27 PM
Try not to let it upset you too much (I know it got me down) but as Mahooli says get him to go outside as much as possible. I watched mine like a hawk and he eventually got the message undesired behaviour!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-12-2007, 05:32 PM
Hi Doggydina as Trixy says it is normal for adult males to scent mark .Hopefully when your OH moves in properly and his dog is no longer new to the house and finds his place he may not do it quite so much.
Until then make sure he goes out frequently so he is 'running on empty' , you could also restrict him to certain rooms.

You will need to clean the soiled areas well with a none ammonia based cleaner( or biological washing powder) where he has marked, you can also try putting a little pure oil of lavender (from health food shops) on a tissue and wiping a little on his favourite marking spots.

(sorry didn't spot Mahoolies post )
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2007, 05:45 PM
Not a problem, I've got 3 boys all trying to see who can pee the highest at the moment
Becky
Doggydina
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-12-2007, 05:57 PM
Thanks all !

Oh, I know he is right, and I can understand it as it's normal for dogs to do it. But this has been going on for a while now ! ! And what's really getting to me is it's ME who has to clean it all the time, and he refuses to accept it'sa problem! He doesn't bother to let him out more than normal, so that's down to me too

ARGH! Well I suppose it's just a case of grin and bear it. I was hoping for some sort of miracle cure for the problem, but hey ho

Thanks again x
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2007, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by Doggydina View Post
ARGH! Well I suppose it's just a case of grin and bear it. I was hoping for some sort of miracle cure for the problem, but hey ho

Thanks again x
New Boyfriend? :smt002
Becky