Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2006, 06:28 AM

Scent marking - help please.....

Lennon, my 17 month old Shiba Inu, (for those of you who don't know him) has started scent marking in the house. I caught him "red-handed", as it were, this morning, peeing up my bedroom door.

It's never much, but this is the third time I've caught him doing it, and each time it's been a different place. A couple of other times I've caught him just as he's about to do it, and yelled "don't you dare" in a really loud voice. This has stopped him.

Any other suggestions as to how I can stop this kind of behaviour please?

Thanks
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-03-2006, 06:57 AM
If he is entire castration may help - but no guarantee at all.

Are there any in-season bitches around the neighbourhood?

Have there been any changes/upsets/tensions in the home which may be making him feel insecure?

Is he allowed to mark on walks?
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2006, 06:58 AM
I havent had to deal with this one im afraid so i dont have any good advise! Is he your only dog? Im sure someone will be able to give you some help soon
x
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2006, 07:02 AM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
If he is entire castration may help - but no guarantee at all.

Are there any in-season bitches around the neighbourhood?

Have there been any changes/upsets/tensions in the home which may be making him feel insecure?

Is he allowed to mark on walks?
Morning SB - yes, he is entire. No in-season bitches around at the moment. No changes at home to make him feel insecure, and yes, he is allowed to mark on walks - I've never known a dog with such a reserve of pee he can mark just about every spot....
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

07-03-2006, 07:24 AM
I don't know if this would work for you, but I have never permitted my male dogs to scent mark on walks. I don't subscribe to pack theory but I do believe in 'leadership', therefore any fighting or leaving of calling cards is my job (the mind boggles ). I give them the opportunity for a relief piddle but don't allow marking when out.

If that doesn't work then you might need to call in the 'hand of God'. To break the indoor marking it would be best if unpleasant consequences could appear to come from the surface against which he is lifting his leg rather than from you. If you can catch him in mid-widdle and toss a can with pebbles in it towards him (not at him) without him seeing you do it that might make him think twice. Other than that the stern 'no' and a thorough cleaning of the spot in order that he does not re-visit may make him realize that this is unacceptable behaviour.

It is a little unusual for a dog to suddenly start marking indoors where his scent is all around anyway and where he feels secure
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

07-03-2006, 08:10 AM
Caught 1 of my males doing it V & used the very loud NOoooooo & clapping hands!! He didn`t do it again Hope you can make him stop
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2006, 09:44 AM
Thanks for your advice both - I'm seeing the Vet today with Roxy, so I'll just ask the question re castration. In the meantime, my best foghorn voice will have to do..... I can be very loud . It's strange that he's suddenly started doing it - Barry has suggested a zip-tie round his willy......(Lennon's, that is, not Barry's)......I "think" he's joking.... PMSL !

Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

07-03-2006, 09:56 AM
Well, if all else fails you can get belly bands for him (Lennon that is )
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2006, 09:57 AM
Now you have to explain what they are please SB
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

07-03-2006, 10:11 AM
Here is a link that describes them: http://malteserescue.homestead.com/M...ellyBamds.html
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >