View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
one.eyed.dog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-04-2012, 04:37 PM
I also see it as giving a dog a chance of a decent home.

However. I would never knowingly take a puupy farmed dog because of possible health or behaviour problems.

Even with a rescue dog I try and research it's history and the breeder it came from. This is because my chosen breed is prone to epilepsy.

For this reason I would not take a dog from this rescue. I do however mention that they rehome ex puppy farm dogs if I know somebody is looking for a rescue dog.

Hope this makes sense,
spot
Dogsey Veteran

03-04-2012, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Yeah - I agree.

The bottom line is they* are helping puppy farmers get rid of unwanted/used/abused stock - and helping make way for more to follow in their place.

(*any rescue who takes ex-breeders from PFs)
It might be your bottom line but it certainly seems like it is not everyones it certainly isnt mine!

As I have already asked you what do you think happens to all the hundreds of puppies/exbreeder etc that do not get taken in by rescues? The majority do not make it to rescue! maybe you missed my posts?

Any rescue taking any dog is aiding and abetting those trying to get rid of said dog.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

03-04-2012, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
But it is`nt just a few dogs is it,

What`s the answer, I have no idea, but surely you can accept the simply fact by taking them off their hands , you enable them to fill the empty places.

Its not just puppy farmers, its breeders who breed without any comeback, and off load the pups they cant sell to rescue, its a get out for anyone that needs to get rid quickly!

Until much tighter laws are brought in the cycle will continue,
But thats just it JB it is a small percentage of p/f's dogs that make it into rescue - most just disappear because the p/fs wont even spend the money on petrol to get them to rescue! Where do those end up?

As has been proved people can and do get away with disposing of 100's of dogs, those empty spaces will be filled one way or another, shutting down rescues aint going to stop that.

Legislation I agree with but it can only work if it is policed properly and damn governments dont subsidise p/fs.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-04-2012, 04:55 PM
Unwanted puppies unwanted breeding dogs unwanted working dogs old dogs sick dogs ,there are many reasons for dogs being in rescue ..
The reason doesn't matter to me ...
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Unwanted puppies unwanted breeding dogs unwanted working dogs old dogs sick dogs ,there are many reasons for dogs being in rescue ..
The reason doesn't matter to me ...
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-04-2012, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I'd look on it more as giving a dog a chance of a decent life.

rune
On an individual basis I would agree, but I think it is important to consider the whole sorry picture and the exploitative nature of the puppy farming industry. When I say exploitative I am not only thinking of the unfortunate breeding dogs who have little quality of life and are discarded when no longer any value, but also the exploitation of the people who buy the puppies.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2012, 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Yeah - I agree.

The bottom line is they* are helping puppy farmers get rid of unwanted/used/abused stock - and helping make way for more to follow in their place.

(*any rescue who takes ex-breeders from PFs)
Your statement saddens me

I'd take any deserving dog, pound or ex PF

NO animal asks for the treatment humans deal.........none of them, in my heart they ALL deserve help and a chance.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2012, 10:35 PM
It really should be the puppy farmers who are attacked and not rescues for making the best of a bad job
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2012, 11:42 PM
I think the sad part of it is that some posters are coming across as rating ex-breeders as "objects", a sad reflection of the world we live in
Azz
Administrator
Male 

04-04-2012, 12:32 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
NO animal asks for the treatment humans deal.........none of them, in my heart they ALL deserve help and a chance.
Of course all animals 'deserve' help - but you can't get away from the fact that when you take an ex-breeder from a puppy farmer you-are-helping that puppy farmer.

Maybe we should be asking the question WHY are rescues helping ex-farming-breeders over poundies?

Is it because they'll get more money for 'pedigrees'?
Or because pedigrees have a better chance of being re-homed?
Why?
Page 11 of 17 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »