Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2008, 12:18 PM

CRB and Disclosure Checks

For our PAT visits, some places require a CRB check and/or a Disclosure Scotland check. I would like to get these done now, if possible, to save time when we eventually are approved.

http://www.crb.gov.uk/

http://www.disclosurescotland.co.uk/

Thing is, I have no idea where to start!

Any help and advice is much appreciated!

Thanks.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2008, 12:45 PM
As far as I'm aware you can't apply for one on yourself as I've tried that myself without much success!
Becky
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2008, 12:46 PM
Hmm. I didn't know that. Any ideas how you'd get one then?

Perhaps PAT would request them for me. I'll check.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2008, 01:22 PM
Hi,

You can apply for a basic Disclosure Check online at

http://www.disclosurescotland.co.uk/basic.htm

This check does not cover any spent convictions. It only shows unspent convictions. Therefore if the purpose of the check is because you will be in contact with "vulnerable" adults this is probably not enough unless you will not be with them alone.(ie there will be nursing staff/carers etc around)

If you require a standard or an enhanced disclosure you can get a disclosure form from your local library and send it off though PAT will have to complete a part on it. One copy comes back to you and at the same time a copy gets sent to the organisation.

Instead of the standard or enhanced check, a subject to access form can be obtained from and returned to a main police station it costs £10 and you have to have 2 forms of ID one a household bill and one something like a passport or driving licence.

If the Disclosure is for a voluntary organisation there is no cost However if you go down the route of a criminal check via the subject to access form it will cost £10 no matter what your reason for wanting it.

Both the enhanced disclosure and the subject to access (basically a Criminal Record Check) show up ALL convictions eg they will come back blank if you have NEVER been convicted of an offence. They show up details of any offence, the date of the offence , the penalty given and wether it is considered spent under the rehabilitation of offenders act 1974.

You should only be required to get one either the disclosure or the criminal check (subject to access form) as they both serve the same purpose and have the same info on them.

(I work with disclosures as part of my job)

Hope that helps

Lynne

Edited to add :- Any disclosure requires you to enter the name of the organisation who you need it for Becky's right in that you can't just decide you want a disclosure certificate.

BUT

Anyone can apply for a Subject to access form (criminal Check) and in the reason for why you want it you can just say for your own information if you do not have a job/voluntary position that requires it.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2008, 02:20 PM
Wow, Lynne! Thanks very much for taking the time to reply with all this information! Much appreciated as I don't have a scooby.

As I will be visiting places where I probably won't be alone with the people I'm visiting for Pets As Therapy does that mean the basic Disclosure check will be suitable, do you think?

Am I right then in saying that the basic Disclosure should be enough unless the organisation I will be visiting require both or just the Criminal Record Check on it's own?
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2008, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Wow, Lynne! Thanks very much for taking the time to reply with all this information! Much appreciated as I don't have a scooby.

As I will be visiting places where I probably won't be alone with the people I'm visiting for Pets As Therapy does that mean the basic Disclosure check will be suitable, do you think?

Am I right then in saying that the basic Disclosure should be enough unless the organisation I will be visiting require both or just the Criminal Record Check on it's own?
Check with PAT what type of disclosure is required by the organisations. In the main an enhanced one can only be required (by law) by an organisation which will give you unsupervised access with vulnerable people (under 16's, mentally ill, vulnerable adults etc) However I suppose it could be argued that someone in hospital may ask for your help to say take thenm to the garden or toilet??? Even if you are only with that person for 5 minutes alone, this could merit an enhanced disclosure!!!

You say you "probably" won't be alone with them...if there is any doubt at all then the higher level would probably be required.

Having said that it is likely that a standard or a basic may be enough.

No organisation should require you to have both a criminal Records Check AND a disclosure as they ultimately provide the same info. Some organisations may accept ONLY a disclosure Scotland Certificate, whereas others may be happy enough with a Criminal Check (the Subject to Access Form). But if an organisation happily accepts a Criminal Records Check they would be equally happy with a Disclosure Certificate.....does that make sense?

In essence a disclosure Certificate will be accepted by any organisation, whereas a Criminal Records Check may only be accepted by some. But the Criminal Check you can apply for yourself and it takes less time to arrive than a disclosure. The disclosure needs some input from PAT and takes about 4 - 6 weeks

Hope thats a bit clearer I'm not very good at explaining stuff!!

Lynne
x
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2008, 02:42 PM
That's great, Lynne, thanks!

Going by all the helpful advice you have very kindly given me, I think it's probably best that I get the full disclosure check just incase there is somewhere I want to visit that requires it. it saves having to wait almost a couple of months for one should I need it!

It's also good to have when applying for jobs aswell, I suppose!

I shall set about getting that sorted now, wish me luck! (Oh, and I'll have to re-read your original post on the subject to see how I go about getting it. ). I have the mind of a goldfish at times!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2008, 02:45 PM
Right, so as PAT is a charity, would that mean I get the enhanced/full Disclosure for free, or not? And this can be obtained from my local Police Station?
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2008, 02:49 PM
Well, I had to have the advanced CRB and I work in I.T. for the Council so I would say it's best to cover yourself and get the advanced. It took flaming ages as well.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2008, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by wufflehoond View Post
Well, I had to have the advanced CRB and I work in I.T. for the Council so I would say it's best to cover yourself and get the advanced. It took flaming ages as well.
Thanks Jackie. I think I will go for the full Disclosure and I may aswell get it now to save time!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >