Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
RobK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

23-05-2004, 05:16 AM

Choosing a breed for my inlaws.

My Sister inlaw is looking for a dog and is reaserching breeds. she has some special circomstances though. Her Boyfreind is in a wheelchair and has a problem with dogs chasing him. she also has 3 rather challenging childeren ages 7,9,and 12. She also Dosnt have 1200$ just lying around if you know what I mean. My first Thought was Definetly not a hearding breed! She likes Cockers but I've heard some have a tendancy to bite. My suggestion was an English Springer Spanial, I've spent time with one and I think that would be right up her ally. What I like about this forum is there is so many different breeds represented on here. Any suggestions would be much appreciateted.
Lizzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-05-2004, 11:17 AM
Springer Spaniels tend to be a little crazy as they have sooooooooooooo much energy, but then that might keep the kids busy!

What about a lovely lab? Fantastic family dogs, and a nice size; not too big and not small enough to trip over by mistake! They need a lot of exercise too, so it depends how they'd exercise a dog. Do they have an area by the house where the children and dog could play together and wear each other out? If not then fairly long walks would be needed to keep a lab or spaniel happy.

If they wanted a lazy house dog, then an English Bull Terrier would suit. It'd play with the kids whenever they wanted, but be able to switch off like a light when needed. They can go for days just lying in the sun if there isn't anything better to do! They'd just have to be careful who they bought from, as with any breed.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2004, 12:14 PM
I would suggest a lab aswell.

They could even teach it to help the boyfriend with different things. Pick things up from the floor and things like that.

Labs are often used as servicedogs.

Jeanette
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

23-05-2004, 04:25 PM
Yes I was going to say a Lab as well as they can be trainied to help people with speacial needs.
RobK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

23-05-2004, 05:21 PM
Thanks Guys, I was thinking Lab to however I'm concernd about finding a good breeder they can afford My co-worker found one for 800$ local.I'm afraid thats alittle out of there reach. he actualy has just put in for a trained service companion.

As far as the energy factor goes, they live on a half acre so exersise should be no problem at all one concern is a sringer will probably want to bolt if they give it the opportunity.

A bull Terrier never crossed my mind I'll look into that.

Thanks again guys.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2004, 05:53 PM
Couldn't you go to a rescue center and get one there?

Jeanette
RobK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

23-05-2004, 07:13 PM
Yes, I'm checking into those as well.
galty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

23-05-2004, 08:02 PM
What about a greyhound.