View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Alohacorso
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-05-2004, 08:01 AM
I have the most horrible story about a tick...don't know what's possessing me to tell it but here goes LOL

When I was younger (about 7 or 8yrs) my mother found a tick on my older brothers head (1yr older). She told me to go and get the alcohol because she heard that if you douse it, the tick will release. Well, she poured on the alcohol and we waited, and waited but nothing happened. So, she went and got a book of matches because one of her friends told her that you can burn it off...well, can you guess what happens next?

She set his poor head on fire!! It burned very quickly because the alcohol was almost all dry so it was just a quick burst of blue fire. My poor brother was hopping mad at her. There was no damage, he didn't even feel it and believe it or not, it didn't even burn his skin, just the hair. He did have a slight headache from my mother slapping at his head to make sure the fire was out. The worst part for him I think is he went around looking like Friar Tuck for a while until my father took him and had his head shaved.

The best part, the darn tick was still there. We ended up pulling it out with tweezers. :P :P

Well, that's my little story, hope you don't think less of me for having such a strange family LOL!!
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2004, 12:30 PM
Luna has had one tick and I removed it with one of those tickremovers bought at a petshop.

I've been told to turn it around - a couple of time to one side and a couple of time to the other side and then pull it out. Thats also how you do it when you use the removerthingy.

I've also heard about this garlic. The only problem is, that when your feeding your dog dry food she just pushes the garlic aside - crushed or whole. Any ideas?

I do eat a lot of garlic myself (don't have any ticks ) so it wouldn't mean any extra expence for me, if she would only eat it.

Jeanette
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2004, 03:17 PM
If you stew the garlic with some meat and then mix it with the dry food she'll probably eat it. Or if you boil the garlic in broth and then soak the dry food in broth, that works. My dogs won't eat the garlic raw, only cooked.

I also heard that if you give garlic cloves like pills it's effective.

Funny story aloha lol Luckily it turned out well.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2004, 04:05 PM
Thanks Barbara

I just might try that. Hadn't really thought about boiling it. Could you boil about a liter, so there is enough for several days?

Jeanette
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3