Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

19-05-2004, 01:19 PM
Hey Sammy welcome to Dogweb! :smt039

(Talking about drive, I have a question which I will post in the general chat area later...)
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-05-2004, 06:28 AM
Originally Posted by Sammy
I actually think the retrieve is very easy to teach, especially if done in drive.

ALWAYS use 2 objects for training the exercise.

Load the dog up using both objects.. throw one a very short distance, give the command.. the very second the dog picks object number one up, start making a big deal out of object number 2, making fast movements with it to encourage play/prey.. as dog comes running back to you with onject number one in mouth, throw number two, give command.. pick up number one.. start over.

Same philosophy for the sport retrieve, as in teach it all with drive, by doing this, you get let problems with grip and chewiness.
Gosh! When I think of the weeks & months I have spent teaching mine & others dogs the perfect retrieve. Wish I had known it was so easy
Sammy
Dogsey Junior

20-05-2004, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
I actually think the retrieve is very easy to teach, especially if done in drive.

ALWAYS use 2 objects for training the exercise.

Load the dog up using both objects.. throw one a very short distance, give the command.. the very second the dog picks object number one up, start making a big deal out of object number 2, making fast movements with it to encourage play/prey.. as dog comes running back to you with onject number one in mouth, throw number two, give command.. pick up number one.. start over.

Same philosophy for the sport retrieve, as in teach it all with drive, by doing this, you get let problems with grip and chewiness.
Gosh! When I think of the weeks & months I have spent teaching mine & others dogs the perfect retrieve. Wish I had known it was so easy
Glad to help

We have not had a single dog fail during their retrieve in the SchH routine.. so it must work! Come to think of it, we have not had a single dog fail any SchH title it has entered for.. so.. must be doing something right huh!
Sammy
Dogsey Junior

20-05-2004, 01:07 PM
...ooppss, I lied - we had a Mal fail a SchH2, the tracking was on dirt.. and he decided that day that he didn't want to track... whats funny, is nor did every other dog trialing LOL!
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-05-2004, 05:41 AM
.. as dog comes running back to you with onject number one in mouth, throw number two, give command.. pick up number one.. start over.
As a matter of interest, what do you do when the dog does not run back with object no.1? How then do you teach the retrieve & present to hand?

Some dogs have a great reluctance to hold a dumbbell. How do you teach the hold?
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2