register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chloe
Dogsey Senior

20-05-2004, 11:08 AM
Phoebe goes back to her breeder. Although I was planning on spaying her for medical reasons, I need to get her tested for vWD first as it appears her dam might have had it - hence her sadly going to the Bridge after being spayed
Sammy
Dogsey Junior

20-05-2004, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by crazycockers
A Question to everybody that has both entire dogs and bitches????

How do you keep your dogs quiet when one or more of your girls are in season??
Usually a really loud "KNOCK IT OFF!" or "SHUT UP!" works
Saffy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-05-2004, 01:34 PM
I had my bitch spayed around 7 months (after her first season).

I'm a little worried on what to do with my GSD. I've heard lots of stories with regards to dogs always trying to be the alpha male and showing their dominance etc. (This is my first dog, btw)

Any suggestions?

Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-05-2004, 06:32 PM
Hi Crazycockers, in answer to your question, maybe I'm just lucky but I have little or no problem with noise, anorexia, seperation or anything else when one or other of my 4 bitches are in season. I have 3 entire males, apart from some minor whinging, no probs. Perhaps it makes a difference in that none of my boys have ever been used at stud.
Saffy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-05-2004, 08:26 PM
I've just read everyone's postings thoroughly and I shall see how he gets on in the future and not make any rash decisions.

Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-05-2004, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by Azz
I think the boys will be with me on this one.... but I couldn't ever get Rocky's bits chopped off as I'd feel all 'cruel!' unless there was a medical reason that is!
My Snorri-dog has an overshot top jaw, which could well be heritable. At 12 weeks, the vet offered to castrate him. Later, it transpired that he's epileptic, too, which may also be heritable. nevertheless, we have kept him "intact" and have elected to make the effort to ensure that he doesn't get the chance to pass any of this on.

Yep, it's partially "male sympathy" in that I'd rather not have my own "bits" chopped off, so why should he? Come to think of it, I know some human males that should have had their "bits" chopped off, rather than allow them to duplicate themselves!

Snorri
:smt071
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

20-05-2004, 11:42 PM
Originally Posted by Snorri the Priest
Come to think of it, I know some human males that should have had their "bits" chopped off, rather than allow them to duplicate themselves!

Snorri
:smt071
Lol!!
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2004, 02:31 PM
I just heard about something called pyometra in females that aren't fixed. A woman on another boards dog almost died of it.

http://www.vetsurgerycentral.com/pyometra.htm

http://www.internationalstafford.com...da/elinda.html
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-05-2004, 07:43 PM
Many years ago I did lose a bitch to pyometra, she was an 8 year old Irish Setter, she had had one litter at 3 years old (loaned back to her breeder). I still do not hold with the fashion of spaying bitches and castrating dogs for contraceptive reasons.

I show my dogs/bitches and they are Irish Setters and American Cockers. These breeds have coat types that deteriorate badly with neutering. I regard myself as responsible and I am more that capable of keeping the sexes apart when neccessary, I haven't had an accident to date (30 years). I have no need of neutering any of them, I am affraid of the anaesthetic risk and I regard neutering as unneccessary surgery.

Pyometra may or may never happen, mammary tumours may or may never happen. Unspayed bitches are not certain to get either.

I make my decisions and accept the consequences.You can't take the risk out of life.
dizzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-05-2004, 11:36 PM
after this litter poppy will be spayed. ---- shes going to live with a friend who lost her oldest shar-pei and her younger [8] male is pining, she thinks a puppy will be too much for him, and as she loves poppy and poppy her, so as shes at home all day and the dogs get 2 walks a day and get to sleep on the bed i know poppy will think shes gone to heaven, other than that shed be getting left home a lot while im at shows with either casey or a puppy, i know some wont ever think of doing this, but i know its for the best all around,. :smt105
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >