Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Harriot
New Member!
Female 

11-03-2013, 11:47 PM

Health checks

Could someone tell me if there are health checks I need to ask about before buying a chihuahua puppy please
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2013, 01:10 PM
I would go to a breed club website, you should find the information there. You could also contact the breed secretary who will be able to help.
Harriot
New Member!
Female 

12-03-2013, 06:32 PM
Thankyou very much will look into it.
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-03-2013, 11:31 AM
check the colours out when a puppy is advertised as "rare" it may well not be an accepted colour of the breed
Harriot
New Member!
Female 

14-03-2013, 12:09 PM
Thankyou for the advice I was wondering if they have to have eyes and things tested?
Regards
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-03-2013, 04:50 PM
I read this about the most common health problems of Chihuahua:

Molera
The Chihuahua's molera(a.k.a. fontanel) is considered a breed characteristic and not a defect. Most Chihuahuas (80 percent to 90 percent) have a molera — a soft spot on the top of their head similar to a human baby's soft spot. But unlike babies, most Chihuahuas don't outgrow it. Although it usually shrinks as the dog matures and ends up between nickel- and dime-sized, Pepe's molera won't be a problem as long as you're gentle when petting or handling his head.

In rare cases, the molera remains quite large and can be a sign of a serious problem called hydrocephalus (see the next section). But don't borrow trouble. Hydrocephalus has several other signs besides a larger-than-usual molera.

Hydrocephalus
A dog with hydrocephalus (a.k.a. water on the brain) may have an unusually large head for his size caused by swelling. Other signs of this fatal condition are frequent falling, seizures, a lot of white showing in the eyes, an unsteady gait, and east-west eyes (the opposite of crossed eyes). A dog with hydrocephalus is in pain and won't live long, so euthanasia is the humane solution. (Euthanasia is the medical term for a humane, vet-assisted death.)
Maybe you can ask the breeder if any of their pups or breeding pairs have any of these issues.

Best of luck in finding the right chihuahua.
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-03-2013, 06:58 PM
Schemes or advice relevant to this breed
There are not currently any veterinary screening schemes or DNA tests for disease relevant to this breed under the Assured Breeder Scheme, however you should still ask breeders and refer to breed clubs about health issues in the breed.
Harriot
New Member!
Female 

14-03-2013, 11:13 PM
Thankyou so much for your help I found it very useful .
Regards christine
Harriot
New Member!
Female 

14-03-2013, 11:15 PM
Thankyou for your help everyone has been very friendly with the question I asked.
Regards Christine