Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2004, 08:19 AM

Yet More Bad News...

Another bull breed attack in Scotland this time a 1 year old baby was mauled by the family English Bull Terrier in front of her parents in Hamilton Scotland (central scotland).

This is a terrible situation for the family but also for bull breeds too given that it has been less than a week and less than 30 miles from this place that a young girl was attacked by an apparent Staffordshire Bull Terrier, I just wonder what will happen now .

The baby is now fighting for her life in hospital, this is all I have read right now but will updated if there is more news, here is the newspaper story from this morning:

Baby Attacked by Dog in Own Home

A baby girl was fighting for lofe in hospital last night after being attacked by her family's pet dog.

Kelly-Anne Gray was mauled by the English Bull Terrier in the living room of the family home in Hamilton, Lanarkshire.

The dogs jaws locked around the one-year-olds head and it was shaking her around the room in front of her horrified parents. She received severe injurues to her face, body and back when the dog suddenly took hold of her in the early hours of yesterday.

Kelly-Anne was taken to Yorkhill Hospital for Sick Children in Glasgow where she was given emergency treatment. Doctors told her parents she would have to remain in hospital for at least a week.

Her mother, also Kelly-Anne, went in the ambulance whjile her father remained in Hamilton with police officers investigating the incident.

The family moved into the flats in the Fairhill area just weeks ago. the dog aws later taken to Hamilton Police station and a decision on its fate will be made by the Procurator Fiscal at a later date.

A spokesman for the SSPCA said: "this is a horrific incident but it highlights the fact that parents should never leave their dogs unsupervised when there are young children around. English bull terriers are generaly very good around children however jealousy can creep in when they are in the company of young children".

Two weeks ago a 12 year old girl was mauled by a Staffordshire Bull Terrier in an Edinburgh schoolyard.

************************************************** ***[/b]
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2004, 08:31 AM
Oh that's sooo sad.

Fingers crossed the baby survives.
stonedagen
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-10-2004, 08:32 AM
The thing is the whole story isnt there is it! It doesnt say whether the child was on its own, even for a short space of time, or being a toddler whether it may have done something like grab the dog to stand up etc. to make it react like that. Knowing myself what its like to have your child attacked infront of you by a dog, it is your worst nightmare come true and my thoughts go to the parents but something must have triggered it off, i would have thought!
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2004, 08:34 AM
Hope the little girl survives
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2004, 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by stonedagen
The thing is the whole story isnt there is it! It doesnt say whether the child was on its own, even for a short space of time, or being a toddler whether it may have done something like grab the dog to stand up etc. to make it react like that. Knowing myself what its like to have your child attacked infront of you by a dog, it is your worst nightmare come true and my thoughts go to the parents but something must have triggered it off, i would have thought!
You are absaloutlet right but then I was not there so I do not know the whole story myself I only copied a newspaper report I read myself this morning! No other papers up here or news reports have suggested the child was alone only a spokeswoman for the SSPCA so it could be speculation on their part! Like you say there could have been a number of reasons it happened but whatever the reason its a terrible situation for everybody involved.

Especially for bull breeds reputation considering a smilar attack by a "SBT" happened only a couple of weeks ago less than 30 miles away in Edinburgh

Laura
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2004, 08:45 AM
My thoughts go to the family, hope the baby is ok
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2004, 09:07 AM
Laura ...if this was not a bull breed do you think this would not have made the news........just interested to know if this is about giving the dog a bad name ....although sorry to hear that a babe has been hurt...do you get my drift here .... it just seems like these things only go public when it's a certain type of dog?
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2004, 09:21 AM
Hi Inca,

This is exactly where I am trying to get to, I absaloutley believe that were this any other breed it may not have been so public. Now I am not excusing what any of these dogs have done but there is always a media frenzy, its terrible because this is what happened around 1990 and resulted in the 1991 DDA banning the APBT and many other fine breeds.

I was interested to find out a while back that APBTs are only respobsible for a small minority of attacks in different countries however they are the widest publicised. They are never in the top 10 for the worst bite records yet we never hear of any dogs witihn the top 10.....

Laura
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2004, 09:28 AM
I wasn't sure if I was putting that right or not...thanx Laura I got something right for a change LOL ....... it just seems all we here is..child attacked by pitball or girl bit by Rottie etc.......I own cavaliers a most placid breed but I bet it wouldn't make head line news.... Child bit buy Cavalier Spaniel !!!!!!!!!!
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2004, 10:05 AM
This is soooo sad. I hope the baby is ok
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >