Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-03-2015, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Me too - we are all animals, and it just makes no sense to me when I hear humans saying they don't like horses, cats, dogs, whatever. It just seems so extraordinary to me.
I agree, if you have read "BossyPants" by Tina Fey. It's a very funny enjoyable book. But when she mentions she can't stand companion animals...it just left me cold on her. I can't understand that mindset. Maybe there are people who put more importance on their immaculate homes or not wanting to be responsible for something's care. But me? No never, even if I could only keep a pet cricket I want to have something.
KennyUK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

17-03-2015, 05:35 PM
Sorry if I have come to this conversation late but having read all of the comments I wanted to contribute...

Having dogs in your life is every bit like having kids IMHO.

You teach them, you love them, you play with them, you care for them, you provide for them, you revel in their company and miss them when your away.

Any dog owner knows its perfectly possible to have a conversation with your dog and I don't care what anyone says, they do try and answer back.

Hah - give me a dog over kids any time.
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-03-2015, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by relodin View Post
I was just telling a friend (who doesn't own pets) about my dog Logan who has been acing his beginner flyball class and how he was asked to compete in the fall. I admit, my proud dog momma side was really coming through a little more than i usually let it. She laughs at me and says in a demoralizing tone "You are talking about him like a child".
I don't think a good friend would speak to you like this. Even if they didnt understand how you felt , they would let you have your moment of being proud momma and not demoralise you.

What do you guys think? Has anyone ever criticized you for "treating your dog like a child"? How does it make you feel?
I have used a pink buggy to wheel my old dogs around in. Most people find it amusing and it makes children laugh.
I really dont give a sh*t what people think
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-03-2015, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by relodin View Post
Hello all! I am wondering what your thoughts are on people who criticize dog lovers for "treating dogs like children". I was just telling a friend (who doesn't own pets) about my dog Logan who has been acing his beginner flyball class and how he was asked to compete in the fall. I admit, my proud dog momma side was really coming through a little more than i usually let it. She laughs at me and says in a demoralizing tone "You are talking about him like a child". Personally, there is nothing more irritating to me than when someone says that. I do not have children of my own but I DO know the difference between a child and a dog. There is nothing more important than your child. But I feel like human beings are capable of giving love in many ways. I can love my dog. I can feel proud of my dog when he succeeds. I can miss my dog when he's not around. I can find comfort in my dog when I am sad. I can find happiness in spending time with my dog. In fact, I would rather spend the day doing something with my dog than most humans lol. To say that kind of love should be reserved for our children alone is, in my view, incredible small-minded. The more love we spread, the kinder our world becomes. If someone finds happiness in their dog, cat, rat, snake, whatever. .. I think it's wonderfull! The amount of animal abuse and neglect that goes on behind closed doors is what should be concerning people, not who is being "too" kind to animals.

What do you guys think? Has anyone ever criticized you for "treating your dog like a child"? How does it make you feel?
Nay I don't treat my dogs like children they deserve better than that

I don't give a dam what anyone thinks about me and my dogs. Having dogs has added so much to my life , I prefer them to most humans so I am probably the wrong person to ask .
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-03-2015, 11:13 PM
Having raised far too many human children...and being the wait staff for any number of house cats...I'll admit the dogs love me and respect me more than any of the above. I've only become a dog person in the last decade.
But you almost can't explain it. Here I have two dogs that terrify some people by appearance. But I see them as they are...utterly devoted to me, always watching and following. Being totally blissful just to curl up beside us in bed...belly up and not a care in the world.
Of course I have a few human kids that are special to me and some felines who stand out. But these dumb pups are absolutely my babies above and beyond!
KennyUK
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-03-2015, 02:19 AM
There is nothing more I can add that has not already been said in favour of our dogs except maybe that I have never had kids and didnt want them, I didn't think it would be fair on them to have a dad with mental health problems.

My Harvey is something completely different, he's not a pet, I do not own him, he chose me at the rescue home and in doing so he saved my life, litterely.

All dog owners think their dogs is special and of course that are but please trust me, Harvey is so so special and what is happening to him is NOT RIGHT....

I have had 2 breakdowns and they were bad with a couple of ODs over the years but since he came into my life he gave me purpose and more importantly the loving devotion that dogs do and humans never wanna try with me.

They don't expect a single thing form us as I imagine kids would. Thier love is honestly without boundrys and they don't play mind games.

They love us for who we are, whether we are in bad moods or good, they just love us unconditionally, they have total trust and total loyalty.

When Harvey goes, which judging from the speed of his deteriorateation, will be sooner than later I will have nothing left in my life.

He has been my friend, my only friend (I am not joking) who wants to be friends with a bit of a nut job (that's how people with depression are see). We went everywhere together, did everything together. He was at my side where ever I went.

We were (are attached at the hip).

And yes I know his tumour is going to kill him and it will probably kill me too.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-03-2015, 02:53 AM
Oh Kenny I wish I knew how to send personal messages through here. But really, I understand a lot of what you're saying...I really do.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-03-2015, 06:32 AM
Originally Posted by lovemybull View Post
I agree, if you have read "BossyPants" by Tina Fey. It's a very funny enjoyable book. But when she mentions she can't stand companion animals...it just left me cold on her. I can't understand that mindset. Maybe there are people who put more importance on their immaculate homes or not wanting to be responsible for something's care. But me? No never, even if I could only keep a pet cricket I want to have something.
I've just finished reading "The Animal Connection" "a new perspective on what makes us human", by Pat Shipman who is a Professor of anthropology. A fascinating book about the evolution of man which makes the point that without the domestication of animals and more importantly the dog, man would not have survived.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2015, 06:39 AM
Originally Posted by chlosmum View Post
I've just finished reading "The Animal Connection" "a new perspective on what makes us human", by Pat Shipman who is a Professor of anthropology. A fascinating book about the evolution of man which makes the point that without the domestication of animals and more importantly the dog, man would not have survived.
Absolutely ... I first heard about this book on Radio 4 and picked up on how vital the dog had been to not only the survival but the thriving and becoming top species of the human race. I must see if I can download it onto my \kindle.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-03-2015, 08:14 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Absolutely ... I first heard about this book on Radio 4 and picked up on how vital the dog had been to not only the survival but the thriving and becoming top species of the human race. I must see if I can download it onto my \kindle.
If you can't read it on kindle you can buy the hardback from the Book Depository for £5.73 with free delivery. Before that I'd read "Dog behaviour, evolution and cognition" by Dr Adam Miklosi which is well worth reading for the insight it gives on dog behaviour and thinking!

I'm now reading "Humans who went extinct" "Why Neanderthals died out and we survived" by Clive Finlayson .... and after that I think I'll give the serious reading a rest as I don't think my pea sized brain can cope with any more knowledge!
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >