View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2012, 09:52 PM
Have only read the first two pages, as now going to bed with red eyes, especially because of Phil and his spaniel ears, i am going to come back and read the rest tomorrow, and continue to pray that i dont have to experience any of this for many many many years yet. I think it is good to read because it helps with the practicalities and even though hopefully a very long time if ever away, i now have an idea of the decisions needed to be made and what can be done etc. thanks
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2012, 10:16 PM
This thread has got me in tears at the very thought as I've not had any pets pts as yet and dread the day this may happen but thank you so much for posting it as it is a FACT that I didnt have a clue what really happened during the process and at the time of needing to know is the worst time to be told.
mastines33
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-10-2012, 06:43 AM
I agree with Rune and a very helpful thread.. Have been there 4 times in the last 7 years.. first one, the mum of my litter then, died very suddenly 1 month to the day after my mum died,, she had cancer of the womb but was not in pain. the vet advised not to operate and I agreed.. she just was sick one morning and a few hours later there was a little cry of pain and she was gone... then over a year ago, I lost 3 ( of her pups ) within 13 months.. 1 died after an operation, she had pyometra and her body was riddled with the poison.. that was sooo hard as I did not say goodbye to her and felt guilty after for a very long time as I had not operated her before.. got her ashes in the garden together with my mum and the following two.. the other 2 were both pts at home.. the vet came to us and did the deed here while they were cuddled u in my arms ( not easy with 65 kg+ dogs).. they were ready for it I think as it showed in their eyes that they had enough.. they both went peacefully without any hiccups.. the only other horrible thing was that the crematorium came with the vet and had to carry them out on a wheelie bin because of their weight.. did show there body's to the remaining dogs (dog) and they did not want to know.. almost like: why are you showing me her/him, they are not there anymore.. I think it just helped them deal with it as they do in the wild.. they never searched for them and didn't mourn either but they did with the girl who died at the vet... until I got the ashes back and they smelled it and after a few minutes of intense sniffing they turned away and that was the end of it.. both their ashes are in the same "grave" too.. only one more surviving "pup", hope she will stay with us for a long time.. they all died at the age of 8-ish.. too young really.. have got two new ones of the same breed again ( Spanish mastiffs or mastin espanol as they are called here) and they have taken the pain away a bit but you never forget your best friends.. sorry it is all a bit of rambling here because you think of other things while you write..
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-10-2012, 10:36 AM
I`m someone who likes having havign all my ducks in a line.

I find it comforting to know what and what is going to happen, and what is to be done in the aftermath.

We knew Bandit was going to die, just not when, as time went on , it came closer and closer.

I spoke to my vet, arranged for him to come to the house , i also spoke to the pet crem, and asked about their procedure, what times they opened, if they collected and delivered or could we take him ourselves.........

As it happened it was an emergency, the vet came out, and whilst we waited for the vet, I phoned the crem to ask them if we could bring bandit up (it was 8am ) they said yes , they would be ready for us when we got there.

The vet came, she did not give a sedative, Bandit did not need one, she left, we wrapped him in his blanket and drove straight to the crem, them picked him up later in the after noon.

I will do the same with Millie when the time comes, (if all goes accordingly).

Pet death comes to us all, we cant aviod it, so being prepared helps in a small way.

Do you want to be with your pet,

Do you want it done at the vets, or home,

Do you want the body or ashes back,

Do you realise you have to stipulate "individual burial"

Do you understand the procedure of euthanasia.

Do you know where the nearest pet crem is,

Do you wish the vet to arrange this or

Do you wish to do it yourself.

DO you mind if your dog is left over night or a few days in the vets (in freezer) till the crem collect.

All the above can be thought through first to make the passing a little easier.

P.S..........I think this thread is a brilliant idea and wonder if the subject should be made a sticky?
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2012, 10:54 AM
Just wanted to add to the already excellent posts, that you can also donate your dogs body to the local vet school if you want - that's what I have done in the past and will do in the future x
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2012, 11:03 AM
I think this is an excellent thread as there are obviously a lot of folk who really don't know what to expect.
When I had my first dog PTS my friend offered to come with me, I refused her offer preferring to be on my own.
After I went back to her house to see her, I was distraught. She plied me with alcohol to ease the pain!

Poor Nippy took a long time to pass and had to have several injections thankfully we were at home.

The best kindest one was Mo. Although she had been poorly for a couple of days she just slipped away, at home, in her own time, with us with her.

Such a very sad time and one that is really helped by talking about it.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

10-10-2012, 12:49 AM
Originally Posted by Rolosmum View Post
Have only read the first two pages, as now going to bed with red eyes, especially because of Phil and his spaniel ears
I've still got Skye and Breagh but there's just something about Spaniel ears that I miss
Azz
Administrator
Male 

10-10-2012, 01:17 AM
Originally Posted by jeagibear View Post
Nice one Azz. Couldn't it have its own Heading or Section?
Something like---Things to consider even before we get a Dog. or Things you should know, before the time comes!
or something like that!!
I think it's OK as a sticky Bryan we already have this section which is meant to cover all things related... but maybe we need a new name (for this section)? I did wonder that a while ago but couldn't think of anything better...
jeagibear
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-10-2012, 06:15 AM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
Just wanted to add to the already excellent posts, that you can also donate your dogs body to the local vet school if you want - that's what I have done in the past and will do in the future x
I would have " loved" to have done this. I always thought it would be brilliant, to know everything about Jeager or Max, but everything went out of the window, in the panic of the moments.
Also it would have been lovely if Vets could have learnt just one more thing.. To save another!
GirondeDeb
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-10-2012, 08:02 AM
Good (albeit painful) thread, which will be very helpful to us all when we're facing that awful time.

I would like to add that if you have children, try to involve them in the decision, and explain why it is for the best. My mother used to try and shelter us from it all, and just tell us after the dog had been PTS. It used to make me quite resentful of her - I had been denied my right to say goodbye, and I always suspected she had done it too soon. It is only now I have my own dogs I understand her thinking.
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >