View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-05-2010, 01:47 PM
One more matter where you should follow your heart when buying a dog. Dogs are an indulgence. If you are in a position to buy what you really want, do it.

Personally, I can't imagine buying a dog when the shelters are slaughtering millions of nice dogs for lack of homes.
AshMan
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-05-2010, 02:11 PM
honestly yes. if there was a litter of staffs and i was offered a blue for more than the others i would accept. (obviously as long as it wasnt too much more)

i dont see myslef buying from a breeder for now anyway
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 02:16 PM
I didn't know breeders charged higher for particular colours?! How very odd.

I suppose we all have preferences for different colours, or some colours may be more rarer than other, and they are cashing in on this, like any other business. I like Akitas with black masks, but not a full black head, but if I was to buy from a breeder I'd refuse to pay a higher price for one, I'd go elsewhere.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 02:18 PM
The people who would why? What makes a certain colour worth more? I just don't get it, Honey came from a litter with blue in, Honey was pick of the litter, and meant to be blue herself, oh well, but are you saying that honestly you would consider her sisters worth more then her? (All the pups cost the same). Because by saying that you would pay extra for a different colour you are in effect putting more worth on dogs based on its looks. I know myself that I would one day like to own a black and tan staff, but I would never go to anyone breeding for that colour, pay more for that colour or anything, and I doubt if I went to a rescue and said that I love staffs, but would really like a black and tan they'd be too impressed, so I very much doubt that I would ever get one, but a black and tan is worth no more then any other colours, infact being a colour that is not really allowed in the show ring or anything it should be worth less then a show standard well breed staff, but many people would pay more for a colour like that because its unusual.
LillyRose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-05-2010, 02:25 PM
No.I do agree with Mothership's response.

When I first learnt about Scarlett, I was eager to own a solid Ruby.I didn't want any white in her coat, though luckily, there are solid Rubies on both her Dam and Sire's sides, going back years, so luckily I didn't have to worry.

Though after spending more than one occasion with her and her canine family,I would have still had her if she had had an amount of white
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 02:28 PM
I would pay more for a pup I wanted....and that would include colour - but I would not specifically pay more for a certain colour.
Jadey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-05-2010, 02:33 PM
Me and my OH are buying a blue SBT in August. Price is higher than other coloured SBT's but also a lot cheaper than some people that charge £1000 for blue puppies ours is £650.

Personally i don't mind colours but my OH saw a blue SBT and that was it that's all he wants now and since i've been looking at them more and more i must admit i do love the colour.

I know many SBT in all different colours, i do love the breed but seeing as we're buying from a breeder we would rather pay a little more for the colour we want.

We did go to the rescue and loved a little brindle boy and we would rescue any colour but since we're buying we would rather get what we want
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-05-2010, 02:39 PM
It comes down to the market. If you have a litter of Labs with some blacks, yellows, and a chocolate or 2, how do you decide who gets the chocolates often in more demand than the supply? One easy way is to price them by what people are willing to pay for each color.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by Mother*ship View Post
I wouldn't buy a puppy from a breeder who was pricing a litter differently based on colour as it suggests that the puppies were bred purely for financial gain and then you have to questions the breeder's ethics.

J.
totaly agree
I wouldnt pay more because it would then encourage breeders to try and breed more rare colours and I dont believe you should be breeding for colour, health, temprament and working ability should be the major concerns, breeding for a rare colour is limiting the gene pool too much

That said I have always wanted a split face blue merle merle eyed collie - but I wouldnt go to a breeder who is producing lots of them - if one came up in rescue then I would snap it up
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-05-2010, 03:10 PM
I''ve had lots of people say that they really like Lily because her colouring is unusual for a jrt. She has no white on her at all, bar a few hairs on her chest, and would be considered imperfect by people who adhere to the breed standard of 51% white. Despite the fact jrt's are not KC recognised there is still a certain standard many aspire too.

I find it interesting that my little imperfection appeals to some people because she is different. I've been told that I should breed her with another brown terrier as I could charge more money for her pups as they'd be 'unusual'.

Fortunately I have a conscience so we'll never know if this would be the case.
Page 2 of 42 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »