Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2010, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
So, I am pro showing, although I don't currently show, and wondered if some of you that dislike it would be happy to discuss your reasons.
I suppose you could class me as 'anti dog showing' and also a hypocrite, I showed ponies all my childhood (albeit working hunters, not poncy lightweights) and would show horses again! The ponies we showed hunted and weren't subject to the rituals that show ponies had to put up with, whiskers shaved off, make-up etc etc.

I saw a lot of bad things at particular showing yards as we moved around a lot of them, horses never turned out without a rug up to their eyeballs, horses walked in horse walkers for exercise (god forbid they cut their leg on a branch out walking in the fields) make-up, trimmimg, clipping, scraping, scrubbing. Just not natural, and for the sake of what, a hundred quid prize money, a good reputation or to make a name for the overly priced foals the mares at home are churning out? Just not for me.

I can only guess that SOME, NOT ALL show dogs also lead similar boring lives? (and I know they get clipped and caked in make up, also things shoved up their bums or female parts so that they don't leak in the ring!) I love muddy running dogs outdoors, not pretty ones that walk funny in a show ring with their coats all perfect, looking like they've never seen a bit of wind in their lives, or have an ounce of muscle on their legs! Sure, give me agility anyday...!
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2010, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
things shoved up their bums or female parts so that they don't leak in the ring!) ..!
Dont know what shows you have visited
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2010, 05:41 PM
My friend witnessed this at CRUFTS, around 2008..she shows..
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2010, 05:42 PM
My friend witnessed this at CRUFTS, around 2008..she shows..
Flipping heck i would have reported it, thats bang out of order the poor dog
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2010, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Flipping heck i would have reported it, thats bang out of order the poor dog
My friend screamed, pointed then cried then phoned me absolutely distraught! I can't remember what happened to the owners, if they did get disqualified or what...they thought nothing of it and said, 'well, she's on heat!' Like they do it all the time, absolutely sick.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-04-2010, 05:44 PM
I suppose you could class me as 'anti dog showing' and also a hypocrite, I showed ponies all my childhood (albeit working hunters, not poncy lightweights) and would show horses again! The ponies we showed hunted and weren't subject to the rituals that show ponies had to put up with, whiskers shaved off, make-up etc etc.

I saw a lot of bad things at particular showing yards as we moved around a lot of them, horses never turned out without a rug up to their eyeballs, horses walked in horse walkers for exercise (god forbid they cut their leg on a branch out walking in the fields) make-up, trimmimg, clipping, scraping, scrubbing. Just not natural, and for the sake of what, a hundred quid prize money, a good reputation or to make a name for the overly priced foals the mares at home are churning out? Just not for me.

Not sure what kind of WH ponies you road, but from my experience , they where clipped and preened . plated , whiskers shaved and grooming cosmetics used...

Even the native ponies would be bathed, brushed groomed, to within an inch of their lives.. to look good in the ring, are you saying you just dragged your pony out the field and presented it in a affiliated competition ring???

I can only guess that SOME, NOT ALL show dogs also lead similar boring lives? (and I know they get clipped and caked in make up, also things shoved up their bums or female parts so that they don't leak in the ring!:shock I love muddy running dogs outdoors, not pretty ones that walk funny in a show ring with their coats all perfect, looking like they've never seen a bit of wind in their lives, or have an ounce of muscle on their legs! Sure, give me agility anyday...!
OMG!!!!!!! Now I have heard everything that one has brightened up my day
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2010, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Why do you say that? I enter "proper" shows, I love my dogs, I dont know many that dont.
I said `some people`. I have seen dogs roughly treated, been at the end of some nasty comments, observed people mishandling dogs (IMO) and know of people who discard dogs without a moments hesitation if they don`t come up to scratch.
It`s good that you love your dogs and that you don`t know people like that. I`m glad. But I can only go my my own observations.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-04-2010, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Dont know what shows you have visited
I DREAD TO THINK
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2010, 05:51 PM
Jackbox why has that brightened up your day?

Lol, we were affiliated and qualified for HOYS, didn't go - never would have gotten placed LOL, and although one of them even lived out all winter we had to prepare them a little for the ring! Yes, the ponies got the whiskers off their hocks clipped a little, really to prevent mud fever over winter but no shaving whiskers, platting yes - but no pulling (cutting) of the mane, chalk or any kind of make up added. They did well because they were very fit and healthy ponies and could jump 6 foot high and wide! One had a tiny scar on the back of her leg but in the name of working hunters was allowed
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2010, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I said `some people`. I have seen dogs roughly treated, been at the end of some nasty comments, observed people mishandling dogs (IMO) and know of people who discard dogs without a moments hesitation if they don`t come up to scratch.
It`s good that you love your dogs and that you don`t know people like that. I`m glad. But I can only go my my own observations.
But you dont agree with showing because of what you have seen by a few people..
does this mean you dont agree with breeding because of a few breeders.
you dont agree with agility because of a few things that some people competing do.
Does it mean you dont agree with raw feeding dogs because what has happened to a few dogs.

You cant just not agree with something because of what a few people have done..surely? If so it means you would disagree with me having a great day out with my dogs at shows, and my dogs having a great time meeting new dogs..wow they spend 10/15mins in the ring and have a 10min bath the night before!
Page 3 of 36 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »