Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2010, 12:20 PM

Why Are Some People Anti Dog Showing?

I have noticed several instances on here lately when people have slated the show scene for being cruel.

I know I haven't shown for about 2 years now but I enjoyed it and my dogs absolutely loved their time in the ring, so I am a bit confused as to why these people hold this view.

I agree, there are some people that are in it purely for fame, (there is no fortune in showing dogs), and maybe they feel that a top winner entitiles them to charge more for stud fees or pups from a big winner, but that isn't the norm, as I'm sure any Dogsey members that show will tell you.

Certainly in my experience, all my dogs won well but I charged less for my pups that some people that didn't show or health test, so I'm not sure if that is what they are up in arms about, or do they think the dogs are mistreated?

I don't necessarily agree that, if a dog doesn't make the grade showise it should be re-homed, I couldn't personally rehome a dog for that reason, but I can totally understand if said dog is kennelled and then passed onto a home where it will be part of the family rather than just a number, that, in my mind, is far better for the dog. Especially if it isn't going to have the excitement of going out to shows, meeting other dogs and spending time with its owner.

So, I am pro showing, although I don't currently show, and wondered if some of you that dislike it would be happy to discuss your reasons.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2010, 12:39 PM
Good post, we show our babies, we also health test for PRA, Glaucoma, PLL and we are looking into the Optigene to... we charge no where near for pups as some 'hobby' breeders do.
we pride ourselves in breeding and showing dogs from good lines, with great tempermants, healthy and fit, to breed standard..its not a money making thing, we enjoy it.
Other than pups we keep back, most the litter goes to agility/pet homes as thats what we perfere.

We have brought in a girlie that didnt meet breed standard when fully grown..her mouth went off..did we care ? no we didnt we love her very much, and she will remain as a pet..along side our rescues, and show babies.

Our dogs love showing and we enjoy handling them..We have one male that didnt like the ring, so we took him out, we was gutted as in our eyes is a great example of the breed..but he wasnt happy and that comes first.

After we have finished at a show (most times not all) we meet up with others on a near by feild and run with the dogs, its a great end to a day, walking and relaxings with others..also gives the dogs a chance to meet new dogs and get dirty, and go for a swim before heading him..

Of course we all want to be placed with our dogs, but at the end of the day we all bring the best dog home...placed or not..Its just a great day out with great people.

Dont get me wrong there are showing people that go over the top with it, and sulk if they dont get placed..you just gotta laugh.

Our dogs do maybe 6/7 shows a year..But there still normal dogs, get walked daily, only ever spend time in crates when traveling in the car..Eat a raw diet, have the run of the house and in the nice weather the garden to..there first and formost our beloved pets, if we do well in the ring brilliant if not well me and the dog had fun trying
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2010, 12:50 PM
My problem is the passing on of the dogs---and TBH that happens in agility and other sports as well. Still wrong IMO.

The fact that the dog might be better off somewhere else means it would ALWAYS have been better off somewhere else.

Other than that I think some breed standards are either wrongly applied by judges or wrong full stop.

Apart from that if showing floats peoples boats then that is up to them.

rune
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2010, 12:54 PM
To be honest, I think most of it is down to misconception.

I admit that before I joined Dogsey, I didn't know anyone who showed and I had very prejudiced views based on the following incorrect assumptions:

(1) that the dogs are not allowed to be real dogs - no muddy walks, playing etc.

(2) that the dogs were not pets - most kept in kennels with little interaction with their owners

(3) that winning came above everything else and that the dog's welfare and happiness were not considered at all.

I don't know exactly where these ideas came from, except to say that nearly everyone I knew held the same views - so it was sort of self-perpetuating!

I still don't like some of what goes on in the showing world - but you get the same in any dog related hobby/sport etc. and at least I've now realised that what I don't like only applies to a small minority rather than the majority as I once thought.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2010, 01:07 PM
Really good posts here peeps

I do agree that there will always be a minority of folk who let the show world down for the rest. Yes, some people sulk or are nasty when they don't win or get the place they want. There are those who do not put the needs of the dog first and in some instances even mistreat them sadly

But - I do believe on the whole that show people are just ordinary folk like us on Dogsey who are gluttons for punishment and enjoy traipsing half the country throughout the year to get a wee ribbon and the accolade of winning!

I only show in a small way (no I don't mean Lola LOL) - I'm not one for going to every single one I hear of like some people seem to (how do they afford it for a start? ) But, I very much enjoy going to them and have just entered my first Champ show with Lola. To me it's a nice hobby and if I do well then it's a bonus

I have to say I do hate to see the way some dogs are treated.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2010, 01:27 PM
I have never shown dogs nor do I know anyone personally who shows, so perhaps I can give a lay person's perspective to this?

I have nothing against showing dogs at all, provided that the dog's welfare is put first & foremost, & the dog enjoys the whole process. Most people who show their dogs on this forum & on others, seem to be entirely responsible owners & only show dogs that enjoy it. In fact I have been assured by one lady that there is absolutely no point in trying to show a dog that doesn't enjoy it as it will be perfectly clear to the judges & that dog will never be successful.

I sometimes feel a bit sorry for the dogs that have to be patient & wait for long periods before they have their time in the spotlight, but provided that rest areas are well-designed & the dogs feel able to relax, then it's probably no worse that being a bit bored at home.

My issues are much more with what comes after the showing & the whole purpose of showing in the first place. This relates to the breeding of dogs, breed standards, and the whole artificial interference in breeding dogs by humans & for humans. Please don't jump on me for this as I'm sure that the vast majority of professional breeders, as individuals, are ethical & caring owners/breeders.

I could almost understand the human obsession with breeding domestic dogs for certain physical & temperamental traits when dogs had a functionality for humans, such as livestock guarding, herding, hunting etc. But nowadays functionality seems to have taken a back seat & a lot of breeding is to "further the breed standard" or win at shows, or develop certain physical or temperament traits for no specific reason other than humans find them attractive! To my mind, these reasons are not necessarily always in the best interests of the dog as a species, or of the dog as an individual animal.

I appreciate that humans are complicit in the whole domestication process of the dog, and that the dog as a species, has benefitted hugely from its associations with people, to the extent that the dog is enormously successful as a species. But I do wonder if all our interference in the whole breeding process in today's world, is necessary or ethical. Given that there are so many unwanted, ill-treated & malnourished dogs in today's modern world, do we really need to continue breeding to the extent we do. Mind you, I could probably say the same about humans ~ but that's a whole different argument.

PS I'm not even going to go down the route of BYBs!!
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2010, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the responses so far

Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Good post, we show our babies, we also health test for PRA, Glaucoma, PLL and we are looking into the Optigene to... we charge no where near for pups as some 'hobby' breeders do.
we pride ourselves in breeding and showing dogs from good lines, with great tempermants, healthy and fit, to breed standard..its not a money making thing, we enjoy it.
Other than pups we keep back, most the litter goes to agility/pet homes as thats what we perfere.

We have brought in a girlie that didnt meet breed standard when fully grown..her mouth went off..did we care ? no we didnt we love her very much, and she will remain as a pet..along side our rescues, and show babies.

Our dogs love showing and we enjoy handling them..We have one male that didnt like the ring, so we took him out, we was gutted as in our eyes is a great example of the breed..but he wasnt happy and that comes first.

After we have finished at a show (most times not all) we meet up with others on a near by feild and run with the dogs, its a great end to a day, walking and relaxings with others..also gives the dogs a chance to meet new dogs and get dirty, and go for a swim before heading him..

Of course we all want to be placed with our dogs, but at the end of the day we all bring the best dog home...placed or not..Its just a great day out with great people.

Dont get me wrong there are showing people that go over the top with it, and sulk if they dont get placed..you just gotta laugh.

Our dogs do maybe 6/7 shows a year..But there still normal dogs, get walked daily, only ever spend time in crates when traveling in the car..Eat a raw diet, have the run of the house and in the nice weather the garden to..there first and formost our beloved pets, if we do well in the ring brilliant if not well me and the dog had fun trying
Sounds a bit like how we were, pets first and foremost, showing a bonus

Originally Posted by rune View Post
My problem is the passing on of the dogs---and TBH that happens in agility and other sports as well. Still wrong IMO.

The fact that the dog might be better off somewhere else means it would ALWAYS have been better off somewhere else.

Other than that I think some breed standards are either wrongly applied by judges or wrong full stop.

Apart from that if showing floats peoples boats then that is up to them.

rune
I understand what you are saying Rune, and the rehoming thing does go on with a lot of other hobbies...at least if a dog gets a nice fireside home rather than having to live in kennels I feel happier. I never kennelled my lot, hence why my house was always a mess , they just wanted to be part of the family and they were.

The breed standards is a whole other arguement...some judges totally misinterpret them, (mind you, so do some breeders ), but some of them were written by people that obviously didn't know what a devastating effect it would have on the breeds concerned

Originally Posted by Hali View Post
To be honest, I think most of it is down to misconception.

I admit that before I joined Dogsey, I didn't know anyone who showed and I had very prejudiced views based on the following incorrect assumptions:

(1) that the dogs are not allowed to be real dogs - no muddy walks, playing etc.

(2) that the dogs were not pets - most kept in kennels with little interaction with their owners

(3) that winning came above everything else and that the dog's welfare and happiness were not considered at all.

I don't know exactly where these ideas came from, except to say that nearly everyone I knew held the same views - so it was sort of self-perpetuating!

I still don't like some of what goes on in the showing world - but you get the same in any dog related hobby/sport etc. and at least I've now realised that what I don't like only applies to a small minority rather than the majority as I once thought.
Thanks Fiona, I do wonder if some of the anti's are going by hear say rather than what they actually know. Like anything though, there will always be some that mistreat their dogs, sadly a fact of life

Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post
Really good posts here peeps

I do agree that there will always be a minority of folk who let the show world down for the rest. Yes, some people sulk or are nasty when they don't win or get the place they want. There are those who do not put the needs of the dog first and in some instances even mistreat them sadly

But - I do believe on the whole that show people are just ordinary folk like us on Dogsey who are gluttons for punishment and enjoy traipsing half the country throughout the year to get a wee ribbon and the accolade of winning!

I only show in a small way (no I don't mean Lola LOL) - I'm not one for going to every single one I hear of like some people seem to (how do they afford it for a start? ) But, I very much enjoy going to them and have just entered my first Champ show with Lola. To me it's a nice hobby and if I do well then it's a bonus

I have to say I do hate to see the way some dogs are treated.
Thanks Anne-Marie, I did show quite a bit but certainly not every champ show going, just couldn't afford it. There are glory merchants who are only happy if they win, fortunately they are in the minority in my experience.
tokiayla
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2010, 01:58 PM
I think any hobby that includes your dog(s) can only be a good thing - I go to the odd show (only fun ones) and just see it as a good day out and spending time with my dog doing something different, and admire lots of other dogs while I'm there!
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2010, 02:16 PM
First off I have only ever known one person that showed dogs and have been to one show. I guess I saw people brushing their dogs and fluffing them up and some were harsh on them, they couldn't go for a pee in peace, some weren't allowed to have a drink as it would mess their face, the owners were grumpy, I didn't think it was a happy atmosphere for some, others were awesome and were relaxed and would talk about their dogs and that is where I first saw Italian Greyhounds and wanted one since then.

From the talk of Krufts, it sounds like the dog 'standards' are at times not in the best interest of the dogs future as a dog. If Kruft's is the highest dog show and there are failings in the dog welfare of breeding, then sorry but they are the highest and should set an example to the world of what is okay and what is not in regard for dog standards, in and out of the ring.

If people care and love their dogs first and foremost I don't have a problem, when it comes down to wanting dogs if they are show quality, I don't really like it but am happy if they find them a loving home where they will be accepted faults and all.

If they are allowed to act and be like dogs that is great, but if worried they will get dirty or roll in something or just do doggy things, I don't like that.

Each to their own, but if the welfare, acceptance of their dog, and enjoyment for owner and dog aren't there, then I say it is wrong.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2010, 02:23 PM
i have totaly nothinf against pet lovers who are proud and happy with their dogs and they want to bond with them, have a great day out and show them off

i am against people who see this as more than a hobby. where showing is more important than the individual dog (or of course any hobby)

i am against how judges fashions can total alter the look of a breed to the detriment of the dog

how grooming fashions can impede the dogs enjoyment of its day to day life

how a placing at crufts is seen as a license to breed, and to breed lots

how some dogs are kenneled and underexercised, and passwd on like a used car when they are of no use

how they are thought of as stock instead of pets

i know there are loads of people who are not like that, i am not anti showing, just anti what some people think of showing, and some of it is common enough that there are people on here who see no problems with it

and i know it will go on in other sports to, i havent come across it yet but i will speake out just as strongly if and when i see it at agility
Page 1 of 36 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »