Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fourfeet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-03-2008, 12:59 PM

Demodex Mange

Hi can anyone help. My dog has demodex mange which the vet has prescribed Advocate. He is loooking better after three weeks of treatment his face isn't so red and he looks better but is still losing alot of hair from all over his body he has blad patches on his head and back end and thining around his neck and a few blad patches on his back. The vets did say I could be looking at upto 6 months to see any improvment.
Is there anything I can give him to help premote hair growth.

Thank you
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2008, 01:18 PM
What breed is he?
Fourfeet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-03-2008, 01:24 PM
He is a lurcher
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2008, 01:40 PM
Well there is a treatment that can be used on dogs that have no collie in them but you have to sign the register because it is not cleared in this country for use. It really works well but as you would not know if your dog has collie in it's background I think you had better stick to the treatment you are using. The problem is caused by an insect but only becomes apparent when the dogs immune system is low this in turn can be brought on by stress so try keeping the dog as calm as possible and do not contemplate any elective operation until it is well cleared.
Fourfeet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-03-2008, 01:59 PM
Hi Yes I know about the collie thing but ours does have collie in him so can't be used. I just wish it would clear up.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2008, 02:09 PM
It can be a problem with a sensitive dog or one that suffers with low immunity as when cleared it can reoccur. Did something happen a few weeks before this attack that may have upset the dog, if it did then at least you may be able to avoid it in the future. Even something like being too hot can reduce the immunity level and set it off again, The hair will re -grow once the medication has reduced the number of the mange mites present but it can take time.
leospride
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-03-2008, 02:16 PM
http://www.veterinaryhelp.net/articl...es-canine.html
says:

''Demodex canis mites are a normal inhabitant of canine skin. They live in the hair follicles and sebaceous glands of the skin. These mites are not contagious and in most cases cause no clinical signs. Skin problems develop when the mites multiply and become overwhelming to the immune system leading to hair loss and in some cases secondary bacterial infections. Diagnosis is confirmed with a skin scraping where a scalpel blade is used to scrape the surface of the skin. This sample is then viewed under the microscope to look for the mites.
The two types of demodex presentations are localized and generalized. Localized demodex lesions are typically mild with several patches of hair loss on the body. Sometimes these areas have some crust or scale present. Localized demodex will often resolve on its own or with topical treatment over a period of several months. This is the most common form in young dogs. It is suspected that puppies are susceptible to this form when their young immune systems are not fully functional or stressed from other issues in their environment.
Generalized demodex is more severe with lesions covering a much larger area of the body. This can be found in puppies who’s localized demodex has progressed or in adult dogs. Treatment for generalized demodex involves topical shampoos with benzoyl peroxide to flush the hair follicles and medicated dips every 2 weeks until multiple skin scrapes do not show any mites. Treatment typically takes at least 3 months. These dogs are often also placed on oral antibiotics to address secondary bacterial infections. In some refractory cases oral medications to address mites are needed. Adult onset demodex can be difficult to cure. It is necessary to evaluate the dog for possible underlying systemic disease that could be suppressing the immune system but in some cases no underlying cause is found. The mechanism for the immune system being susceptible to the mites is unknown. In some adult cases, the mites are controlled but infection is not completely cured.''

or this site:
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body...tic_mange.html

DEMODICOSIS -- THE DISEASE ITSELF
Demodectic mange -- also called "demodicosis"-- has three forms:

FORM #1: LOCALIZED
Usually a red, scaly, well-circumscribed lesion on the face or forelegs is present. It generally goes away on its own. an insecticide, may be used daily to control localized demodicosis. Hair regrowth should be evident after about a month of treatment; however, some localized cases appear "destined" to become generalized and no treatment will prevent this from occurring.
When ointment is used, rubbing the medication on the area may break off the weaker hairs at the margin of the lesion. The lesion may thus appear to get larger at first. Antibacterial gels are also used against localized demodicosis and associated skin infections. Often it is best not to treat this condition and to simply allow it to resolve on its own.

FORM #2: GENERALIZED
The entire dog is affected with patchy fur, skin infections, bald, scaly skin.
  • Most generalized demodicosis starts as localized demodicosis.
ADULT ONSET-- Most demodicosis occurs in young dogs. An older dog should not
get deodicosis unless it has an underlying problem with its immune system
A veterinarian should be consulted regarding possible primary diseases.
JUVENILE ONSET -- 30-50% of dogs under age 1 year recover spontaneously from generalized demodicosis without any form of treatment. Usually treatment is recommended, though, to facilitate recovery.

My dog only had it on her leg, Advocate was given and it cleared up in no time. I also bathed her leg daily with Hibiscrub.
Sounds like yours could be 'Generalised'?
HTH
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-03-2008, 02:18 PM
missing link canine works great on demodex you have t double the dose for four months xxx
Fourfeet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-03-2008, 02:50 PM
Hi thanks for the links
Reading that it does sound like he does have the generalized mange but his skin does have a brown scale over it which you can see if you part his fur.
the only thing I can think set it off is the cold weather we have been having as we don't have central heating so if we go out I don't leave the fire on but do put his coat on him to keep him warm.

I have some hibiscrub in the cupboard so will try bathing him but have been reluctant to touch him as so much hair falls out I fear him going total bald.

I will look into the missing link stuff thanks

Just to say that he has been a total neurotic all his life so many things upset him.