Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2006, 01:27 PM

demodex mange and ring worm/updated 7th December

Hi All

Well my nephews pup has been in the vets for test as she had some hair loss, she is 4mths old and the test have come back with mange and ring worm she is on tablets for the ringworm and the itching and on baths once a week for mange.

she is going back in 3weeks for first scrapping to see if they have gone but need 3 clear test in a row for sure.

i have now had to book my other 2 pups in as they have started to lose hair and am scared they have got it as well, the vet said it is very unlikley but being on th safe side testing.

has anyone else had dogs that have had this and did your other dogs get it, i feel so sick for them as they are so young. We had already started the baths on the other pups just be safe any way.

thanks for reading will let you now how they do they are in the vets wed morning and have to wait for results.

keep fingers crossed its not please.
JacekPacek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-11-2006, 01:40 PM
awww sorry
fingers and paws crossed (x)
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2006, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by sjpurt View Post
i have now had to book my other 2 pups in as they have started to lose hair and am scared they have got it as well, the vet said it is very unlikley but being on th safe side testing.
Sorry to hear your puppy has these probs Ozzy had this as a puppy and did get rid of it, but it took quite a few weeks and numerous baths of Aludex first (be warned it stinks!) Good news is it is treatable

I am surprised to hear your vet say this, mine said the opposite when Ozzy was diagnosed with Demodex! It isn't contagious but when a pups immune system is low it will affect that puppy and as it is passed on from mum to pup it is likely the rest of the litter will be affected - as it states from the veterinary website I got this from:-

Demodectic mange most often occurs when the dog has an immature immune system, allowing the mites to grow rapidly. Therefore, this disease occurs primarily in dogs aged less than 18 months. In most cases as the dog matures, the immune system also matures. Adult dogs that have the disease usually have defective immune systems.

Since the mite is found on virtually all dogs, exposure of a normal healthy dog to one with demodectic mange is not dangerous.

Development of the immune system is under genetic control. Thus, an affected dog usually comes from a litter containing other affected puppies. Owners of littermates should be put on alert to watch for it. If the disease is widespread over the body it may be due to a genetic defect and affected dogs should not be used for breeding. Also, parents of the affected dogs should not be bred from again.

Although any breed can be affected the Bull Terrier breeds seem to make up a large proportion of the dogs which are seen with clinical Demodex.

Sometimes the disease can occur as a result of treatment of the dog with immunosuppressant drugs including corticosteroids
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2006, 02:06 PM
Thanks Ozzysmum

the other pups are not the same breed emma who has it is a staff and mine are parson's which is why i think the vet said what they did as they are not related.

can only keep my fingers crossed the vet did say that she thought emma had got from her mum before we got her so have let the breeder now so she can let the other people now as well.

thanks again sam
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2006, 02:23 PM
Ringworm can pass to humans??? So it may be wise to check yourself over and get your nephew to do the same.
Mange can spread but it can also be carried and flair up later in life if the immune system becomes compromised. In which case, i also find it weird your vet said not to worry???? I would want them checked myself...pre treatment...no need to put them through it if they don't have it????
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2006, 02:31 PM
thanks ramble i new ring worm was and have been doing checks ect, will let you now how my babies do as they are booked in tom for scrapes and plucking to be sent off just hope they are free of it bless them.

thanks again
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2006, 02:45 PM
ooo i really feel for the pup my youngest dog had demodetic mange and he had to have aludex baths and he took bad to those,he is now permanently on advocate as in some dogs they can be prone to recurring mange its not too bad though as it controls fleas worms etc all at once i agree with ozzysmum the baths really stink,be sure you are in a well ventilated area and protect your hands with gloves
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2006, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by sjpurt View Post
Thanks Ozzysmum

the other pups are not the same breed emma who has it is a staff and mine are parson's which is why i think the vet said what they did as they are not related.
Ahh, sorry I assumed they were littermates you were talking about, my error!

Demodex is not contagious but ringworm is, hopefully the other pups are just fine and your puppy will get better soon.
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2006, 09:45 PM
thanks griff i have gone and got some nice gloves just for the baths. and have big open area for it as well.

Thanks oozysmum

I thought it is what you thought but i dont think i explained very well sorry.

thanks for all your help i hate seeing my babys like this big softy me ...lol
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-11-2006, 10:38 AM
Hi Sj it is not as bad as it sounds, most dogs (and humans) have some Demodex mites on their skin and you would never know. There is only really a problem if a dogs immune system is compromised by illness or stress.

Ringworm too isn't that bad and again is worse when the immune system is not working so well. It is a fungal infection 'Tinea' from the same family as athletes foot.

If you are not sure your pups have either (many types of ringworm are easily detected under a UV light) and don't want to use an insecticide on young puppies Tea tree oil is effective on athletes foot and would be a good thing to use either by buying Tea Tree shampoo or the pure oil from the health food shop (Thursay Plantation is a good make) an adding a few drops to an ordinary dog shampoo.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >