Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
patterlad
Dogsey Senior
Male 

12-10-2006, 08:49 PM

Demodex does anyone no about it ?

I think my Stafford has Demodex mange has anyones dog had this or have any knowledge of it.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2006, 08:59 PM
Demodectic mange is inherited from the mother of the dog. All pups are born with the mite, but some dogs develop it and are are prone to developing it. It has been linked to a poor immune system, and these demodex dogs will/can develop outbreaks throughout their life at times of stress and illness. Be sure to tell the breeder of the dog, they should NOT breed from demodex parents, and also your dog should never be bred from as she is likely to pass it on to her offspring. Vets can confirm that for you.

Its really difficult to get rid of sometimes, I hope your dog is not too badly affected.
Dawn.
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2006, 10:00 PM
My mum had a staffie with Demodectic mange years ago.

I only remember it vaguely, but i do remember that she had to go to the vets weekly for a demodex bath and i think it took about 6-8 weeks to clear it.

The only way the vets can confirm it is to do a skin scrape. When that comes back they will arrange a time to suit you to start the bath and it will need to be repeated weekly.

After about four baths i think they then did another skin scrape and that came back clear but they have to have 2 clear results before they stop the baths.

Type Demodectic mange into your browser, there is loads on the net about it.

I really hope your staffie hasnt got it, cause its not nice at all.
leospride
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-10-2006, 10:21 PM
I had a dog that had this. The vet prescribed Advocate drops and hibiscrub for daily washes, where she had patches of baldness. It cleared up a treat
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2006, 11:26 PM
Does Ivermectin injections kill it off like it does Sarcoptic mange or doesn't it work on demodectic mange?
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2006, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
Does Ivermectin injections kill it off like it does Sarcoptic mange or doesn't it work on demodectic mange?
Teagan had to have those injections as a last resort, as the special wash (aludex) didn't work.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2006, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
Teagan had to have those injections as a last resort, as the special wash (aludex) didn't work.
Did it work though? Benji had an ivermectin injection at the vets last time we was there because he was scratching again and the stronghold didn't appear to be doing anything. He only had the one injection though and I thought they had to have about 3 or 4 at weekly intervals. If he starts scratching badly again I am going to ask for a course of the invermectin injections because someone on here told me that these are the only thing that will work with mange.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2006, 12:43 PM
my staffx had this,he was treated with advocate(prescription only from vets)and alludex baths,he is now back to a normal healthy dog although the fur on his neck never really recovered the best thing to do is go to a vet asap,get the skin scrapings done to confirm it and begin treatment as quickly as possible it is not contagious like scarcoptic mange so is no threat to you or your other dogs hope your pup is soon better
patterlad
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-10-2006, 04:20 PM
Thank you Borderdawn for you info.I have told the breeder and he says that he has owned the bitch(mother of Madge)from 8 weeks and has never seen anything related to demodex on her,but i have told him never the less but doesnt seem that bothered and has had no complaints about the other pups having it.I also told him to warn the owner of the stud dog aswell.
Stupid vets cant fit her in until next week for a scrape so we will see what the out come is but im pretty sure thats what it is.Again thank you everyone and ill keep you updated on Madge.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2006, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by patterlad View Post
Thank you Borderdawn for you info.I have told the breeder and he says that he has owned the bitch(mother of Madge)from 8 weeks and has never seen anything related to demodex on her,but i have told him never the less but doesnt seem that bothered and has had no complaints about the other pups having it.I also told him to warn the owner of the stud dog aswell.
Stupid vets cant fit her in until next week for a scrape so we will see what the out come is but im pretty sure thats what it is.Again thank you everyone and ill keep you updated on Madge.
I don't know if its anything the same as Sarcoptic mange but when the vet did the scrape on Benjis ears he found nothing - it was only the blood test that revealed he had it. Wonder if you can have a blood test for that type of mange
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >