Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 09:39 AM

Dog weeing alot and trembling does anyone have any ideas - updated 27 September

Hi
Ben has been poorly since Sat night, he hasn't eaten any food, and is drinking gallons of water. We have the vet tonight at 5.45. Just wondered if anyone has any ideas to put my mind at rest, as once again I have looked on the internet and am now worried it might be something serious like liver damage - yeas a little knowledge is dangerous.

Poor Ben didn't manage to hold it in till morning and when he clambered up on bed at 3.30 this morning he was trembling, every inch of him was shaking, I got up and when I went through to living room he had weed on floor and I mean weed there was loads of it, I let him outside (didn't scold him) and he weed more, then when I got up at 7.00 let him out and it was like niagra falls, his wee is very clear in colour though (but he has drunk lots of water), his nose is wet and eyes are still bright, the whites of his eyes are still white when you pull lids back and his gums are still a light pink colour, but he is still trembly a bit like the excited/nervous staffy tremble.

The only thing that made me think liver damage was he was licking his lips a lot during the night and the website I found said that was a sign - I know I am probably overreacting and being a hypochondriac for him, but you know what its like.

Any ideas suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 09:45 AM
firstly stop reading a diagnosis as you will come up with all sorts ..i know thats easy to say

secondly if you are at all worried ring the vets now and ask for an earlier appoinment I would also try and get a wee sample today so you have one ready as the vet is bound to want one

keep us updated
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

25-09-2006, 09:47 AM
well it sounds to me like it might be the symptoms for diabetes. When my youngest son was diagnosed (finally and after many tests) it was the constant drinking and weeing that confirmed it all (he was only 17 months at the time), he had lost a lot of weight, so first of all it was thought he had some sort of food allergy, in a way it was a relief it was diabetes.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 09:56 AM
Thanks Inca, I know I shouldn't read those dignosis things but just can't help it I wanted it to say something like " a common urine infection"
When I called vets this morning they did not seem too concerned and advised him not to be left on his own, so dad is doggy sitting (much to his frustration...he keeps spouting helpful statements like "it's great fun having a dog!!" (never a truer word but not in the sarcastic sense he says it!)
I have also asked dad to get a sample later in afternoon if he can , which has pleased him no end.
Vet said the shaking was not necessarily related and just to keep and eye on him and bring him across if he gets worse (vets is about 10 minute walk from house).

Will keep you updated though, Thanks
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-09-2006, 09:59 AM
Hi Bensmum sorry Ben is poorly ....as if often the case the problem could be caused by many things prostate/urinary infection/diabetes so it is really best not to speculate.

The shaking could be due to a high temperature or pain. Until you can get to the vet this is what I would do ...
Keep calm don't pass your anxiety on to Ben,
Keep Ben quiet and warm, give him a warm blanket and a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel and don't offer him any food just water.
Hope he will be better soon (hug)
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 05:28 PM
Just back from the vets

BeTok a sample with me and the blood content of his urine was the worst on the scale of the dipstick

His temperature was 102?? Vet says that is the high end of normal, nothing wrong with his prostate and he felt about near his ribcage and said Bens kidneys didnt seem to be in pain, but the main reason for blood in urine is something up with kidneys

We have to go back Wed, and he has tablets to take "Marbocyl" 20mg two to be taken daily

Wish I had wine in the fridge
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 05:35 PM
hugs to Ben

hope he gets better soon
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-09-2006, 07:05 PM
blood in urine can also be a sign of infection, if he has a raised temp which will also go with it.
if i remember correctly emma's samples was dark and cloudy but with a strong odour
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 07:16 PM
Has slightly raised temperature (according to vet 102 farenheit), but urine very very watery (and so much of it), although still got a yellow tinge.

Thanks to everyone for your replies and your thoughts/advice
Kath
Sadly Missed
Female 

25-09-2006, 07:24 PM
Dog's normal temp is about 1O1.2 F. I think, it's a long time since I had to take it. Hopefully nothing more than a kidney infection that should clear up with the right antibiotics - Will watch for your update on his progress. Kath
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >