View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mango
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-09-2005, 07:14 PM
Gildy......... Yes I'm sure it'll fall into place too......No worries here I really don't think that anyone will feel ignored as we are all new to all this and it will take a little time to adjust.....oh bless your heart a possum?? reminds me of Dame Edna!!!

Hi Curmy, no probs we are all new to all this and it's good for our grey matter, at least I think it is???
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-09-2005, 07:57 PM
Mango and Curmy,

I think there will be plenty of cases where we delete something by accident. Yes, I guess it does look a little like a possum. You know, I have realised that I have very few photographs of anything to do with the last 20 years so I was stuck when looking for a photo of me.

And then I thought what can I use for the avatar. I tried for ages to get the photo to the size acceptable for adding and mentioned it on here and I was given help.

I guess with my interest in birds I could've put up a picture of a dove, blackbird or robin but my first attempts were of a squirrel that visits but in the end I had a picture of a field mouse hanging on a nut feeder and I went for that

These boards will probably get busier when the dark nights arrive. Then again I suppose the other excuse is that its Saturday night.

I may as well incorporate a bit of new bout the garden and "My" birds....

Its been quiet today and I discovered once again, I had lost a dove to the hawk. Mum said that had been alot of doves in the garden when she'd looked out so maybe this is why it went quiet.

My friend in the States has jsut come back from a holiday(she kept sending photo's on her mobile)what countryside and mountains. I'm waiting for details but I sent some photo's that were taken by another poster over at the bird board at the BBC that could've been taken by me if I could've got closer as it was the same scene I witnessed last week, he'd taken some of a hawk sadly finishing off a wood pigeon. She explains that she gets red tailed hawks(known as chickenhawks)and goes through similar problems.

She says "I feel tortured that I feed the birds and lure them here then see I've also made a sure meal for the hawks that fly over." Its nature. There is a strange facination when you see what you associate more to seeing in a wildlife programme and not in your garden.

I have a ficility to post photo's but will have to check where/how many I can then I may be able to illustrate what I say sometimes. I don't want to break rules so I am going to find out more clearly what links I am allowed to post here as sometimes I spot a site I think worth sharing.

Curmy you asked about the neighbours...

I've mixed feelings, if all the natural break had not been taken out and the trees cut down the area would not be as bare and I think this gives the Hawk an advantage as with the great eyesight it has and the virtual route it is able to glide silently into the garden at speed. Then again, the fence the new neighbours built is very strong and I have got used to it, so have the birds.

They are putting up a shed in an area of theirs that may stop the flightpath the hawk uses to strike a favourite part the birds like. So it may offer protection again. The other side some of you will have heard that neighbours we have had for years started fastening a screen made of something that resembles what is on a witches broom and though its made access to the fence difficult for the birds, I'm starting to think it may again hamper the hawk(they plan to extend it the length of that fence)

Of course if the present birds know of my food feast they'll continue to visit and their offspring may but it is sort of enclosing my garden area and I do know that larger birds can be put off because they need some space to land and take off successfully.

So that's the latest news for today...

Back soon no doubt...

Gildy:smt008
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2005, 08:04 PM
Gildy, I know it wasn't written for me, but I enjoyed reading it non the less Your Avatar is just beautiful, you can post the full size version if you like
The Great Gildersleeve
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-09-2005, 08:23 PM
Ashlady,

Forgive me, You were one of the first to welcome me and I think I said over at the old place I owed you an answer here.

Its a compliment that you wish to read my posts. :smt058 I'll look into what you say about posting pictures, where and how. Whether I send them within a Personal Message.

I wish I knew where it came from.

I hope the site continues to succeed, it deserves to.

Take Care

Gildy
Mango
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-09-2005, 08:31 PM
Thanks Gildy for yet another interesting post about your birds and garden.
I really am bereft of birds at the moment, just a couple of blue tits though it's a start,
I do so enjoy ready about others.........so thanks a lot.

I'm hoping that next week I'll manage to post a few pics of my long departed dog and perhaps one of my 'tame' blackbirds.

Chris D
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2005, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by The Great Gildersleeve
Ashlady,
Its a compliment that you wish to read my posts. :smt058 I'll look into what you say about posting pictures, where and how. Whether I send them within a Personal Message.
Gildy
Gildy, believe me, many will want to see any photos you post of your 'wild friends' I spend a bloomin' fortune feeding 'my' birds, hedgehog, squirrels etc. and there are many of us here that do. We could ask nicely for a wildlife thread if you fancy (I know a lovely man in high places )

Edit - I meant section not thread!
Curmy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-09-2005, 08:38 AM
Gildy, I've at last found your photo, very cute ! I've sent you a personal message.don't know if you'll get it. UAN was much better yesterday. Curmy.
Curmy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-09-2005, 10:03 AM
Gildy what a long and interesting post, I'll chat to you later.
Mango
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-09-2005, 03:51 PM
Hi Gildy and all,

Well I've had a bit of a wander around this site today and I must say I've really enjoyed it, have you looked at the thread have you any other pets?

As all the birds seem to have desserted not only my garden but it seems very quiet all around so as I'm really missing them it's nice to look at the pets.

I did have a look at your profile and you are just how I imagined, a nice picture may I say!

Perhaps the BBC hasn't done us such a diservice after all and whilst it takes time to get to know something different it might be a good excersize for our brains??

We've had another beautiful day here (Essex) really warm and quite sunny, I wonder how much longer it will last

Thanks for the updates of where some of the others are, I'm mostly reading on the other places.

I was hesitant about going broadband but after being on it a while now I wouldn't change back, it's much more convinient than dial up.

Well, take care,
Chris D
Curmy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-09-2005, 04:09 PM
Hi Mango, I live in Suffolk, just up the road from you. We've had a lovely day as well. I don't think we'll ever get the bird people back now they've found bird forum.Just hope the other place comes to its senses and splits the boards up.
Page 8 of 10 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 >