Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 04:25 PM

A full time job when you have a dog....

Ok, so I know this is an emotive subject for some people, it's obviously not ideal to have a dog and work full time. However nothing in this world is ideal and plenty of people do have dogs and work full time. I'd rather this didn't turn into a debate over if it's right to have a dog while working full time please

Anyway I used to have a job where I lived on site. I could pop home in my lunch break and walk Moon so he was never alone more than 4 hours. It was a great set up, especially as my house mate also had a dog so they kept each other company.

Long and the short of it is, I was made redundant in August. I had no choice, I moved back home with my mum and I've been around the house full time while looking for employment. I'm fortunate enough to have found a new job which I start soon but now I'm faced with the decision - what's best to do with Moon now that I'll have to work full time. I'm researching dog walkers but didn't know if there were other options.

I just wanted to know how other people cope with this. What do you all do?

ETA: Realised there's a stupid typo in the title but I can't edit it! Oopps! LOL
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 04:31 PM
Some dog walkers offer a daycare service. I used to do this. I would look after a dog in my home for a day or a half day and they would get a walk and a couple of hours company and play too. Maybe getting a dog walker in the afternoon and asking her to put out some treats, chews, kongs etc. after the walk may help.

Start getting Moon used to being left now so it won't be a big shock for him when you start work, and make sure you are up early to give him a walk and some quality time before you go. I'm sure it will work out, don't feel guilty, we all have to earn a crust!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 04:47 PM
We both work full time, and have done since we got both boys.

We had to do a lot of preparation when they were little, so that they could be left when we were out.

In very simple terms:
  • We built up the time they spent left alone, from minutes into hours.
  • We make sure they have sufficient entertainment - kongs and stuffable toys, pigs ears etc (not all at the same time)
  • We made sure that us leaving (or coming back to) the house wasn't a drama, with barking, over-excitedness etc.
  • We ensure both dogs were exercised sufficiently before we leave.

We have used a dog walker in the past, but currently our budget is very, very tight; and we haven't the money to spend on it.

Of course, I would love not to have to work full-time; but circumstances are what they are. Unless my mortgage and bills somehow disappear, I'm never going to be able to go part time. I do what I can!!
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 04:58 PM
The price of dog walkers is something that concerns me. The are all like £10 a day, so that's like £200 a month and my job isn't very well paid. Of course if that's what I need to do for Moon though, I will

Fortunately Moon has no seperation anxiety, he just sleeps all day long. Even when I'm home he just sleeps all day long! When alone he doesn't bark or chew or anything, he never ever has accidents in the house either.

From before I rescued him, he spent days at a time on a chain with nothing to do, i think this taught him to just sleep when there's nothing else to do and to hold his bladder for long periods. On one hand I almost think he wouldn't give two hoots is left alone while I was at work, but it feels really wrong to me. I have a neighbour who said he could pop in, but i'm not sure if he'd want to do it long, I'll have to ask him how serious he was....
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
The price of dog walkers is something that concerns me. The are all like £10 a day, so that's like £200 a month and my job isn't very well paid. Of course if that's what I need to do for Moon though, I will

Fortunately Moon has no seperation anxiety, he just sleeps all day long. Even when I'm home he just sleeps all day long! When alone he doesn't bark or chew or anything, he never ever has accidents in the house either.

From before I rescued him, he spent days at a time on a chain with nothing to do, i think this taught him to just sleep when there's nothing else to do and to hold his bladder for long periods. On one hand I almost think he wouldn't give two hoots is left alone while I was at work, but it feels really wrong to me. I have a neighbour who said he could pop in, but i'm not sure if he'd want to do it long, I'll have to ask him how serious he was....
If he is laid back and happy to sleep all day, I doubt you will have any problems in leaving him at all. Depending on how long you are gone for, you might want to have someone come around during the day to let him out at lunchtime. That doesn't have to be a dog walker. Any dog loving family/friends/friends kids that you trust to let him out for a couple of ££ each day?
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
If he is laid back and happy to sleep all day, I doubt you will have any problems in leaving him at all. Depending on how long you are gone for, you might want to have someone come around during the day to let him out at lunchtime. That doesn't have to be a dog walker. Any dog loving family/friends/friends kids that you trust to let him out for a couple of ££ each day?
My friend pays the neighbour's child to come in and play with her dog after school, and also let her out for a wee. It costs little and the girl loves the responsibility too.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 05:34 PM
Since having my dogs, i've had 3 jobs and lived in my own place but now back with my parents.

My job now allows me to come and go as I please as I have a works van and work in the local area, that applied to a previous job also. I did have a job for a short while where I was working 9-5 and had 1/2 hour lunch break which meant I couldnt pop home.

I was lucky enough that my Mum had them during the day. Wouldnt your mum look after him whilst you work if you live in the same house? My Mum generally dont walk them, I do that when I come home, but she provides them with company, a bit of playtime, gives them their breakfast and lets them out to the loo.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
My friend pays the neighbour's child to come in and play with her dog after school, and also let her out for a wee. It costs little and the girl loves the responsibility too.
Yup. That situation really works if you have a dog savvy kid.
Simira
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-11-2009, 05:57 PM
As she sleeps during day any way and has no separation anxiety, I doubt leaving her for a full day would be a problem. As long as she gets enough attention during the rest of the day, you'll probably manage all fine!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 06:08 PM
Thankfully I don't have to work full time any more - (I do know how lucky I am! ) but have worked full time in the past. As long as you make sure that Moon gets exercised before you go, leave something stimulating for him to do while you are out (a stuffed kong or raw bone etc) and then you give him plenty of exercise when you get in and at weekends, then I am sure he will cope just fine. It would be preferable to get someone (a dog walker or friend etc) to come in at lunchtime-ish to let him out and give him a walk etc, but if that is too expensive for you then try not to beat yourself up.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >