Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2009, 11:59 PM

A firework went off in my garden!

im raging!

tonight, i was sitting in my room (which is on the ground floor) with my bf and jake. we were watching a film so had the light off, and the window was open (my bf is always hot).

jake was lying down when all of a sudden, there was the squealing of a firework! jake jumped into a sit, and sat alert, looking out the window. he remained remarkably calm, even when the flipping thing landed in the garden!

there was big bang, and my whole room lit up red! right after the bang, there was a weird noise of crackling... we ran outside (jake was left inside) and we could hear kids shouting from the street running a few houses up from us. so i think it might have been them that let it off...

i am really happy with how jake reacted though, he was amazing! he jumped up when he heard it, but he just sat listening and watching. as soon as the red lit the room, he jumped up at the window to look out. so obviously had no fear. and right after it was jumping around, tailing wagging as usual so he reacted better than i couldve ever asked for and the situation couldnt have been worse, i never want him to be that close to the noise... plus, he has only heard fireworks very far away and at hearing them, he didnt react at all lol.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2009, 05:59 AM
Yep, it's that time of year.

We haven't had anything yet and I'm hoping Woody will be OK. Last bonfire night he was a 10 week old puppy. He went out for a pee one night and one went off really close and it didn't even disturb the flow, he just watched it with a ''wow, that's cool'' look on his face. I'm hoping he'lll be the same this time round!

Well done Jake, if he can get through this he might be the OK ;o)
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-10-2009, 06:22 AM
Glad Jake was fine. This happened to us a few years back with a previous dog she was laying in the garden it wasn't bonfire night she liked to lay out there to cool down and one came over our fence into our garden it put her off fireworks and after that she would try to hide where ever she could if she heard them.

Ollie has always hated them so if that happened to him I think he would literally have a heart attack. Damn things.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2009, 06:57 AM
i'm glad jake was ok. he is a big brave boy! i'm hoping lily will be alright too, as i've had years of stress with dylan over fireworks. it was only last year that he showed some improvement and i think that was only because his hearing isn't so good now. so there are some good things about getting old!

the kids round here can be little wotsits and let fireworks off in the road. i had one thrown at my car one night which left a lovely powdery mess over the windscreen!

i just wish they'd ban them.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2009, 08:26 AM
It started round by us last night as well. Was only a couple but we have no idea how Monty will react as this time last year he was only about 4 weeks old and was still living on the farm in the middle of nowhere.

Fortunately last night he was ok, he paced a bit with a "what the hell was that" kind of look but then settled back down but I was there and the tv was on to drown out the sound. If I hadn't have been there I think he would've got stressed about it so now we're probably staying in for the next month and a half whilst people let them off willy nilly.

Don't get me wrong, I love fireworks but at an organised display let off by people who know what they are doing on one weekend of the year. As it stands fireworks are far too obtainable to the general public and are now becoming a nuisance rather than a pleasure - I know that I'll be fed up of them by the time actual fireworks night comes around.
louise81
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-10-2009, 11:24 AM
2 of my chihuahuas dont like fireworks,so from now to new years eve i have to stay downstairs until 12pm ish.The fireworks seem to have stopped by then.I try to higher the volume up on the tv upstairs but they prefer to stay downstairs when fireworks start,and of course i have to follow and stay with them.lol
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2009, 11:27 AM
They really should be banned apart from organized displays...One of my Staffies Gypsy, get so stressed out wiith them, poor baby has med from the vet to calm her down...
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2009, 12:34 PM
i think they should be banned to the public, im just so glad he wasnt outside at the time. or that he wasnt really affect by it, that kind of thing could easily make a dog terrified for life... its horrible that some idiot having a 'laugh' can make a dog and the owners life so much more difficult around this time...

i just cant believe how good he was
Briard Lover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-10-2009, 01:03 PM
If you have got a puppy or a young dog, as soon as you hear a firework grab a squeaky toy and make a game of it or tell them to send it off and get them to bark, then they may see all the noise as a positive not a negative. I don't think it would work on an older dog who already has a built in fear over the years.
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

20-10-2009, 05:17 PM
It occured to me earlier that an outright ban on the sale of fireworks would likely lead to an increase of 'imported' ones. The implication being that where domestic fireworks are regulated as to size etc. dodgy ones won't be.

Far better then, to report problems with irresponsible use and press for existing regulations/legislation to be applied properly. i.e. report the firework being thrown into your garden to the police! I know it probably won't result in any further action in this case, but if the police get a lot of reports of irresponsible use of fireworks then hopefully they will do something about it without removing responsible peoples' right to enjoy themselves.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >