Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-10-2010, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by jols View Post
Sorry but it was in the middle of my quote...............

My mistake
it was meant to be

if you wish to address points separately, thats what you do, using either bold or colour.

therefore i made 2 points when i replied to your post.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-10-2010, 05:57 PM
I did get paid for being off sick, I would get full pay for 6 months and half pay for the next 6 months and then after that would have no pay. I didn't take a single sick day off work in 11 years. So it doesn't follow that because you can that you will

A lot will not go sick ...granted.but an awful lot do.

And if you dont mind police getting invalided out why not other public sector workers.........
I don't object to anyone being invalided out after a reasonable period of time if they are incapable of doing their job, public or private sector. That doesn't mean because some of the private sector choose not to pay for sickness that it's something to be held up as the way forward when it's actually a step backwards.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-10-2010, 06:04 PM
One of the delights of a forum like this - people like Jols are permitted to harangue us all from a knowledge-base of NIL.

Snorri
spot
Dogsey Veteran

21-10-2010, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Yep! Totally agree too!! Cameron said he was going to do a bit of sifting through Parliament didn't he, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the actual mp's start getting outed too!

They're highly overpaid, there's too many of them, some of them can't even warrant their existence imo. Afterall, how many people does it take to push a pen around or move a mouse!!!

So far, this Government is doing everything right for me, and the best place to start is in-house, well done mate!
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Whilst of course I sympathise tremendously with Gorden's current situation, I cannot say that these new plans are wrong, how does anybody actually KNOW that yet, it's all assumptions, because nobody knows the outcome do they? Quite honestly, from where I'm sitting, redundancies have gone on for years in the private sector, heck, I was even made redundant myself in my first ever job, let alone what Dave went through, and he too,although not having a degree as such, spent many hours/weeks/months getting through college to get his qualifications to do the job he wanted, same as me,two years at college and then I'm made redundant after 6 months in my first job, so I know all about it, but I was young enough to get on with it, unlike Dave was in his later years.

I'm under the impression and correct me if I am wrong, but people in the public sector always thought they're job was very "safe", if you worked for any Government Department this kind of thing didn't happen to you, and sadly, now it has, you're not as safe as you thought you were because of this new shake up, but of course, people who have never worked in the public sector, have always lived with this hanging over their heads in every job they've taken on.

I don't know the answer, all I know is, we've got far too many people doing far too many jobs, and if cut-backs can be made for the Country (let alone our Government!) to survive, then so be it, it's the very same thing that happens day in day out in companies, when times are hard, cut backs have to be made where they can, and if staff have to go in order to save the company, that's what happens. Dave had to let go a member of staff who had worked for him for 10 years last Christmas, and pay him a considerable amount of money for the priveledge, but if he didn't, he would have gone bust due to the slowdown in work because of the recession. Hard times fall on everybody, nobody can escape from this, I just don't want it to get worse for the whole of the Country if we can get away with making it worse for a few (as awful as it has to be, it's a must in our dire situation).

If Gorden is right, and the schools will have to "buy in" the necessary, they must have done the figures, the will know how much that "necessary" could possibly add up to, and even then, it still works out less than paying somebody a monthly salary to have it in place whether it's needed or not. Not saying what Gorden did was NOT necessary there, I'm just saying in some instances, that could very well be the case.
But equally you cannot say they are doing everything right surely? You say that you know what its all about so I do wonder about you original sentiments. So what about those who are now being made redundant are also in later life having worked all their days to keep a roof over their heads and make a good life for themselves do they not warrent their existance?

I think most agree that something needs to be done but this slash and burn technique appears to be a knee jerk reaction to appease the public more than an indepth economic strategy to not only reduce the deficit but to grow the economy.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

21-10-2010, 06:36 PM
Long term sick....take out an insurance.

I mean the people who take several weeks off a year with a belly ache or flu and get paid.

Child benefit scrap it and yes I have a child.

Mainly private health insurance would be just the same as the NHS if everyone had it.
I'm glad you can afford medical insurance but not every one can, how do people living on state pensions afford it? I assume it covers all your family - I wont be rude and ask how much it is or how you afford it - but many are not in the same fortunate position as you obviously are.

I'm not sure how that works – some insurance is going to better than others so not all would get the same level of care although I suppose the mass building of private hospitals may help with the economy. Even in the states they have a welfare state for those too poor to be able to take out full insurance.

Also I had to take time of work to have 3 tumours removed but because I have an existing condition most insurances wouldnt cover it. What happens then? Ive worked hard all my life, paid my taxes yet am left on my own to find money to keep a roof over my head?
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-10-2010, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by Snorri the Priest View Post
One of the delights of a forum like this - people like Jols are permitted to harangue us all from a knowledge-base of NIL.

Snorri
Lots of people have opinions and I enjoy reading them all.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

21-10-2010, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by spot
But thats just the problem, increasing unemployment does impact on other sectors. Those companies who are doing well are doing well because people are spending or in the finance sector saving. People will not have the income to either save or spend its like the ripple effect and all sectors will eventually be affected. The big finance houses maybe doing well but these are multinational companies who's profits are often not ploughed into this country but sent elsewhere or passed on to their very rich share holders. If the going gets tough here they will simply pull out and set up shop elsewhere – thus creating more unemployment.

If that one happens, then God help us all, we won't be worrying just about unemployment I can assure you of that!

Im sure many of us would worry about a lot of things but that doesnt answer the actual scenario I have put

Yes our manufacturing industry is now dead and buried quite frankly – but what has taken over from it? And who will lose out because of the fear of unemployment or in fact real unemployment? People as has been said stop holidaying, who else losses out on that – the tourist industry! So a lot of empty privately run hotels who now no longer need their staff – see where this is going?

Sweeping slash and burn policies such as these lead to the very very real collateral fear driven economic downturn – in other words everyone is fearful of redundancy and unemployment and therefore believe it will happen to them – thus stop spending thus creating a down turn in the economy which can lead to real depression.

I would like to have a little "cyber bet" with you on that one, by means of dragging this thread back up in 4 years' time!!! The stock market took this onboard favourably last night, that says it all for me!

The stock market is not necessarily a good indication of what is good for the economy just what is good for the markets. Whats the economic theory behind that?

It maybe the governments policy to rise unemployment to such a high level that it brings inflation very low and thus creating an economic upturn but thats a dangerous game to play which has in the past led to stagnation of the economy.

As for the welfare being capped (Im sorry I thought you had wholeheartedly agreed with Jols regarding stopping sick pay for all) I think they should be capped to a point but disagree with stopping benefits or sick pay for people who are to ill to work.

I'm sorry???? I said sick pay SHOULD be paid to everybody who is sick or cannot work????!!!! I did!!!

Again sorry I though you wholeheartedly agreed with jols saying that THEY should not be paid sick pay,.

As above, if you're sick, you're sick, you can't work you should get paid, BUT, what I said was, I want to get all those lazy b*ggers up off their a*ses who have never held a job down in their entire lives and don't intend to, coz I'm sick to death of paying for them to go on holiday, have a nice house and get everything free that we have to PAY for! Including my council tax that only gets my bin emptied each week coz we don't have kids, I never see a policeman, my house hasn't caught fire, I don't use the library, and yet I pay £170 each and every month for the priveledge! They even get let off that No, I want changes, BIG changes, the bigger the better!

But we're talking about people working in the public sector, nurses, doctors prison offices etc etc, why are you paying them to go on holiday, what do they get free that you have to pay for?

As council are being targetted you will probably see less policemen, bin emptying will go to once every 2 weeks, meals on wheels will disappear, sheltered housing will be very limited. Many people do use the library, especially these days to use the internet to get a job, would you get rid of libraries?

I cannot believe that just because YOUR house has not caught fire that you want the fire service to be cut or heaven forbid privatised
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-10-2010, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
But equally you cannot say they are doing everything right surely? You say that you know what its all about so I do wonder about you original sentiments.

Nope! Never said that, in fact I have always said the opposite, I said I don't know the answer!Plus, I've been asking questions purely because I DON'T know what it's all about

So what about those who are now being made redundant are also in later life having worked all their days to keep a roof over their heads and make a good life for themselves do they not warrent their existance?

I don't know the answer, but I have every faith in them that they DO know the answers. I can only agree with their strategy of getting rid of all those new jobs in the main, that Gordon Brown created in to make himself look good and make the unemployment figures low. I feel a lot of them are totally unnecessary, as does the Government, and if we're going to have to make cuts,then you make them foremost in the places you can do without them surely? From Lynn's previous post, it would seem though, that it's the Councils themselves who are the ones picking them out willy nilly, in other words, the Government has said you've got to make cuts, here are our suggestions, and perhaps more thought should be put into where they are actually making these cuts? I don't know, I'm not in Government, but I do see/hear about a lot of wastage going on, which as I said before, is more unlikely to happen in private companies. From what I know (which isn't a lot), we have these administrative bodies set up, to control various other bodies in the council, and then we have another adversary of that even sometimes, so to me, the only sensible way of doing it, is to strip it all back, see who can run these various departments on their own, keep those people in, probably the people who have been in the job for years (hopefully!) and ok, you lose maybe 2/3rds of the workforce for that particular area, BUT, it's a cut that has to be made, and if further on down the line, you find you need a bit of help, then you buy it in at a drastically reduced price than what you have been paying out month after month.

I think most agree that something needs to be done but this slash and burn technique appears to be a knee jerk reaction to appease the public more than an indepth economic strategy to not only reduce the deficit but to grow the economy.
I honestly don't think it's to please the public, I think it's because they realise just how bad the situation is (unlike the previous Govt.), the consequences of it getting worse, and the fact that it's their job to sort it all out, who else is going to?

Just imagine yourself taking on a company that was in dire straights, owing millions, where do you start??? I know where I'd start, and I think that's just what they're doing.

People who are in real need will get it, in fact, Cameron himself has stated, the benefit system should be put back to how it was intended to be used, not as it is today, with people getting paid out more by sitting at home watching the telly all day, than the real hardworking public out there, it's just not right, and you've got to admit to that one surely!? That includes all people who are sick, disabled, whatever, they WILL get what is due to them, but as for the others, I have no sympathy for them whatsoever I'm afraid, i.e. people like the 16 year old I saw on Jeremy Kyle today who is claiming incapacity benefit plus everything else, has just got somebody pregnant, has no job, and he uses his benefit for drink and drugs, that is NOT what benefit was supposed to be for, and if Cameron can see it like I can see it, then I hope he stops it and makes them get a job! I'm with Jeremy I'm afraid, I'm sick to death of keeping people like this!!!!
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-10-2010, 07:06 PM
Lots of people have opinions and I enjoy reading them all.
And we're entitled to disagree with them.

Snorri
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-10-2010, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by Snorri the Priest View Post
And we're entitled to disagree with them.

Snorri

You and they certainly are.........................if you and they did not this thread would of ended pages ago.
Page 15 of 27 « First < 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 25 > Last »