View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2011, 06:29 PM
Sorry to here this. I havent got any experience or advice to offer just want to say you and Moss are in my thoughts!
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-01-2011, 06:31 PM
Hello Moobli
I'm sorry to hear your bad news about your Moss. It may well not be as bad as initially thought and if he can be stablised on a suitable drug regimen it may not mean you will soon lose him. He is a relatively young dog and from his picture he looks fit and healthy in other ways. Although it is very serious and he needs to be carefully watched and monitored, I think that this condition can be managed somewhat once it has been discovered.

I took this off an informaton site for humans and I can see no reason why something similar would not apply to our dogs.

"Congestive heart failure and its warning signs
The term "heart failure" is something of a misnomer. It makes it sound like the heart has stopped working, but that isn't really the case. What congestive heart failure means is that the heart isn't pumping efficiently enough to keep up with the body's needs. "Heart inefficiency" might be a better term. With the proper treatment and lifestyle changes, many people with congestive heart failure can lead active lives for many years."

I hope this helps a bit. Best wishes.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2011, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Congestive heart failure usually affects old Dogs Kirsty, is that a definite diagnosis? What were his symptoms?
He hasn't yet had xrays or a scope, as he was too weak. His symptoms were a swelling in the throat, severe coughing (and retching at the end), racing heart, and to be honest, he was like the walking dead when he saw the vet yesterday. He shut his eyes, swayed and almost collapsed twice, and the vet thought it was curtains for him then

ETA - I just remembered he also had fluid on his lungs.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2011, 06:49 PM
Thanks everyone again - it came as a complete shock, as he has always been such a fit and active dog.

Thanks aerolor, that does help.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2011, 07:10 PM
Pickles always had a shocking ticker, grade 5 murmur from an early age I think?

He managed well until the last few years, that's when they put him on Vetmdin, Furosemide and another one I can't remember the name of?

I agree with Dawn - with the right meds Moss should stabilise eventually.

{{{{{hugs}}}}}
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2011, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
He hasn't yet had xrays or a scope, as he was too weak. His symptoms were a swelling in the throat, severe coughing (and retching at the end), racing heart, and to be honest, he was like the walking dead when he saw the vet yesterday. He shut his eyes, swayed and almost collapsed twice, and the vet thought it was curtains for him then

ETA - I just remembered he also had fluid on his lungs.
Not heard the throat thing before, I guess thats what the steroids were for, to reduce the swelling?

I hope he picks up, they usually do quite quickly.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-01-2011, 07:24 PM
The problem with Tyler was the meds didn't get a chance to work, he only had the one symptom and yet the vet described his heart as quite flabby even though he was happily having a walk most days, there were no signs of lack of energy etc. He hid it well. He was also very stressed from being left at the vets all day and I was told not to allow him to do anything, he was to be carried until the meds kicked in, again completely alien for a terrier and he objected greatly which added to his stress.
If you can manage complete rest and no stress until the meds take effect he should be in with a fighting chance.
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2011, 07:35 PM
Oh Im so sorry, what a shock for you. I hope the meds help. My old boy Max was 12 when he was diagnosed. He would pass out, coughed and was short of breath. He wa put on vetmedin and did really well for a year but old age kicked in and we let him go. But he was old when he started so I hope you see some improvment and it continues. Big hugs. xx
mandyB
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-01-2011, 07:47 PM
My BCxSpringer Gyp has a very bad heart. She was put on vetmedin and prilactone over 3 yrs ago and is still going. The vet always laughs and shakes his head when she's in for a check up and tells me he doesn't know how she keeps going! Admittedly she doesn't do much these days but when the mood takes her she'll still chase a seagull off the field.

I think if Moss can be stabalized on his meds he stands a good chance of living a few more years yet.
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-01-2011, 08:01 PM
I've nothing to offer to help Kirsty, but just wanted to say how sorry I was to hear about Moss. Having read the previous posts hopefully it won't be as bad as you first
feared. It's horrible to have this hanging over you I know. I'm thinking of you and hope all will be well.x
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »