View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

29-11-2015, 06:46 PM
Swans at Welney swan feed this afternoon.

Ducks mostly pochard vicious little beggars.

Hooper swan.

Poor woman.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2015, 06:55 PM
Lovely photos Lynn, never seen a hooper swan before. Lol@the poor lady feeding the swans, bet she loves it though
Moyra, Amber will go on the patio...she probably knows you will give in so hangs on....what if the vet had to put her on strict rest? She would have to go at some point and as long as the area gets cleared up does it matter if she goes on the patio? If Steve has a problem with it I am sure he knows where the lead and poo bags are
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2015, 06:59 PM
Yes Griff you are right. I will see what tomorrow is like. If I could cut her down from the three walks to two a day it would help.

Lovely photos Lynn. Must have been lovely to watch under cover.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

29-11-2015, 07:08 PM
It was very nice to be dry and watch Moyra. Not sure I would of wanted to be out in it.
griff the Hooper swans have yellow and black beaks where as the mute swans which live in the UK all year have orange and black beaks and the Bewick swans have yellow and black but less yellow than the Hopper. Mute swans are the largest, then the Hooper then the Bewick.
See I was listening to the talk.
The Hoopers and Bewicks fly in from Iceland and Russia and will return in the Spring. The Hoopers had some young cygnets they would of been 3 months old while doing their first journey with their parents.
gordon mac
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-11-2015, 07:17 PM
Lynn - Thank you for the directions viz the Dog Photos - without your timely shove in the right direction - I could well have been aimlessly wandering Dogsey for ever!
Love the swan pics - I have been over your area quite often but never got to Welney - looks lovely despite the weather. I am told that it is very easy to tell the Hoopers apart as they all have different facial markings, bet you've got to be good at it though! lol !
See that you have put that Pochard are a bit grim - didn't know that. Do know that they are very tasty! Although you need a couple each.
Bye fer now.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

29-11-2015, 07:22 PM
No I wasn't aware they were tasty.
If you are ever over this way again if you get time make a trip to Welney we so far had only visited the cafe, when the weather brightens up we will do a trip of the rest of the centre.
It is part of the Slimbridge site been there a few years back.
Can also recommend the lamb and flag pub at Welney.
We are about 8-10 miles away you could visit the wildlife here too.
Glad I have saved you from wandering Dogsey forever.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

29-11-2015, 07:26 PM
Harvey I can take the youngster with her mum and Nana (Mabs and Lona) and everythings fine - up to now. I've taken her with Keshi as well and its gone OK. Cariad's a bit of a tartar, and although the others tell Zen off, it is nowhere in the regions of one of Cariad's tellings off, so thats the reason she's not gone out with Cariad on her own as yet.
Moyra, mine go in the yard or in the kennels, and also when they are out. I am out in the yard with my shovel and carrier bag around 3 or 4 times a day, and as long as you keep it clear and bleach and disinfect there is no problem unless Steve wants to make it a problem, which he probably does, your house - your rules though. Girls know the routine off by heart now and move round as I need them to usually, they're fed up today which is why we had a bit of a go slow this afternoon. Now they're playing Musical Beds, and poor Zen has been thrown out twice, keeping an eye on it all and making sure they let Zen back in.
Lynn those piccies are beautiful, not seen the swans on the canal for a few days, they may have cleared off to winter elsewhere.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2015, 07:46 PM
Thanks for that Lynn, the only ones we see here are the mute swans, there used to be a dreadful one on the pool and he would fly the whole length of the pool to attack your dog!! those pochards might be vicious but they are pretty
Moyra, my pair go out once a day, they play in the house or in the garden but they have one walk a day where they can chase their ball etc...the vet has always commented on how good they look so it obviously suits them
Trust you to have munched one of those poor ikkle duckies LG
I hope the girls decide Zen has spent enough time out and let her back in
mum is still ill, dad says she sounds awful...closest i will go is to the door and shout does she want anything Lol
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

29-11-2015, 08:04 PM
When we had our first boat on the river Lea we sometimes with the boys they were young then use to cruise up to Enfield and old ford lock. There was a lock not far from our marina at Waltham Abbey called Rammey Marsh and sure as eggs were eggs the swan would fly at us from behind the boat and dive bomb us.
He was known as the mad swan of Rammy marsh his mate had been killed by a boat at some point. The walkers on the tow path use to find it most amusing seeing us duck as it dive bombed.

One of the Bewick swans got a Pochard as it dived it held it under for a while maybe it was a parent of one of the youngsters and was getting it back. Mind you the swans were bickering too when the grain started going out.
I think the mute swans stay on the rivers and lakes and ponds if they have nowhere to go like Welney or Slimbridge ours disappear off the river during the winter and go into the fields and not far from the wetland centre.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

29-11-2015, 08:12 PM
I think it depends what you do when you walk your dog, mine tend to go swimming two or three times a week, not been for a while due to Mabs foot being cut, she's walking a lot better on it today. The wound powder I got last week said Black Wound Powder and I thought it was the name of the Manufacturers, no it is Black Wound Powder. I know because Mabs appeared at the door holding her foot up, so I thought I'll put wound powder on now as its looking loads better, and it came out black, does match her pads though!!! If they don't go swimming then I make sure they get a walk where they can be offlead for a while to play and have a run, then we do some roadwork as that helps build up muscle, everyone always comments on how good the girls are looking so it must be the right type of exercise for them. They get one walk a day, not been out since Friday because of the weather and they are not that bothered really.Mabs won't poo or wee on a walk anyway (well very rarely), she waits till she gets home, Zen doesn't at the moment either because she is pretty young still, and the other 3 don't mind either way.
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >