View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2011, 04:38 PM
I think it is very difficult to have both.

I was horses, horses, horses for nearly 30 years, had my own, used to compete and teach etc.

I found that I never wanted to own one in the UK and after my first Weim I got sucked into dogs.

I don't ride at all now, been 10 years or so, not since I went out on my memorable horseback safari in Botswana.

Nothing could top that so I just stopped.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2011, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Have you considered having a horse-share? That could keep at least one for you to ride when you had time, and you can both share the care?
I haven`t been on a horse for nearly 40 years. But tbh the dogs are now my first love.
this is me

oh, getting up at 5 to plait manes and wash tails, spending hours burnishing bits and polishing boots... you`ll miss it, you know.
That was also something I thought about Claire, but we live miles from the nearest town and the only other female interested in horses on the estate has two of her own. In winter, it would be impossible for anyone to get up here when we have bad snow, and I am not sure anyone would want to drive out 30+ mins to share a horse anyway??

Love the photo of you on your horse

The one positive outlook to this, is that if Marilla and Strom settle down at my riding instructor's school/trekking centre then I know they will have a first class home (and one of her lifelong loves is the Highland Pony ) and I will be able to go down and visit whenever I like, and also have lessons/hack on Marilla too. Not as good as having her at home, but probably second best.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2011, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I think it is very difficult to have both.

I was horses, horses, horses for nearly 30 years, had my own, used to compete and teach etc.

I found that I never wanted to own one in the UK and after my first Weim I got sucked into dogs.

I don't ride at all now, been 10 years or so, not since I went out on my memorable horseback safari in Botswana.

Nothing could top that so I just stopped.
Tell us all about your horseback safari please - it sounds amazing! Any pics?

I agree with your first sentence and have found that out over the past six months or so. I like to do the best by my animals and want to give 100% to them. With all other responsibilities, I just haven't enough hours in the day to give 100% to both dogs and horses.

I have also found after spending time around a number of really horsey people that they aren't that "doggy" ie they have dogs, but don't spend the amount of time with their dogs that I do, and are happy to combine horses and dogs - but it just doesn't work for me or my dogs

The benefit of my horses going to my riding instructor (if all works out) is that I can have the enjoyment of a horse (ie riding and hacking) without having all the time consuming responsibility.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2011, 05:04 PM
A group of six of who rode togther regularly went over to the Okavanga Delta where one of the party had been several times before.

Only 12 tents, not the ones you use at Glastonbury but the large walk in ones with two beds and aproper bathroom with ceramic furnishings including a hot shower!

The day would start with a maid bringing tea and we would then sit round the fire to have breakfast before going out at 6 am, just us, our guide and another one.

Get back for a late lunch with and a siesta and then a short ride in the evening.

Dinner was 3 courses with proper tablecloths and china and a free bar.

One day we rode out and found a champagne breakfast set up half way.

And then there was fly camp where you can sleep in small tents or outside in the open on lion watch!

Horses were SUPERB, food was EXCELLENT, and nothing can beat galloping alongside giraffe, tsesebe, impala, cape buffalo, wildebeeste and impala!

Breeding herds of elephant, leapards, and we went out for a jeep drive to lion watch and have sundowners.

Just a few metres from our open jeep a pride of 13 lions rested.

It was indescribable, the rides were often fast and furious and we often had to curtail a stop if a bull elephant arrived.

We never say anyone else, no fences, no jeeps, nothing it was STUPENDOUS.

This is the company we went with and I cannot recommend it highly enough, no stuffy rules, or riding in single file.

http://www.africanhorseback.com/
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2011, 05:09 PM
Loan term loan is a good idea, its something I am going to look into, as I can't afford to just buy a horse, but could easily afford the monthly costs.

Its a bonus if you would be happy for a loan owner to take Marilla to a yard of their choice, I know a lot of people miss out on their perfect loan horse because the owners don't want it moved away from them.

I feel for you, its not a decision I would like to have to make. I'm gutted enough that my favourite stallion at work is for sale, not that there's been any interest in him!

By the way, have you tried a marmite sandwich for Strom? We give one of ours a daily marmite sandwich and it helps him with his sweet itch a bit and he gets it really bad! We've also just started adding a scoop of garlic into his sandwich as well, he loves it!!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2011, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
A group of six of who rode togther regularly went over to the Okavanga Delta where one of the party had been several times before.

Only 12 tents, not the ones you use at Glastonbury but the large walk in ones with two beds and aproper bathroom with ceramic furnishings including a hot shower!

The day would start with a maid bringing tea and we would then sit round the fire to have breakfast before going out at 6 am, just us, our guide and another one.

Get back for a late lunch with and a siesta and then a short ride in the evening.

Dinner was 3 courses with proper tablecloths and china and a free bar.

One day we rode out and found a champagne breakfast set up half way.

And then there was fly camp where you can sleep in small tents or outside in the open on lion watch!

Horses were SUPERB, food was EXCELLENT, and nothing can beat galloping alongside giraffe, tsesebe, impala, cape buffalo, wildebeeste and impala!

Breeding herds of elephant, leapards, and we went out for a jeep drive to lion watch and have sundowners.

Just a few metres from our open jeep a pride of 13 lions rested.

It was indescribable, the rides were often fast and furious and we often had to curtail a stop if a bull elephant arrived.

We never say anyone else, no fences, no jeeps, nothing it was STUPENDOUS.

This is the company we went with and I cannot recommend it highly enough, no stuffy rules, or riding in single file.

http://www.africanhorseback.com/
Looks AND sounds FANTASTIC! Now, if only I were a good enough rider to give it a go ... hmm Obviously a real trip of a lifetime.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2011, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by Misty-Pup View Post
Loan term loan is a good idea, its something I am going to look into, as I can't afford to just buy a horse, but could easily afford the monthly costs.

Its a bonus if you would be happy for a loan owner to take Marilla to a yard of their choice, I know a lot of people miss out on their perfect loan horse because the owners don't want it moved away from them.

I feel for you, its not a decision I would like to have to make. I'm gutted enough that my favourite stallion at work is for sale, not that there's been any interest in him!

By the way, have you tried a marmite sandwich for Strom? We give one of ours a daily marmite sandwich and it helps him with his sweet itch a bit and he gets it really bad! We've also just started adding a scoop of garlic into his sandwich as well, he loves it!!
Thanks Sarah. It is a really, really hard decision ... but one I know I am making for all the right reasons. I am going to discuss long term loan with my riding instructor, but have the feeling that if Marilla settles in and enjoys it at the riding school then she will probably want to buy her - so we will cross that bridge when we come to it.

If Marilla doesn't settle at Listy's, I will give you a shout shall I ??

I haven't tried Marmite for Strom, but will definitely give it a go. I have been feeding him a clove of garlic a day, as well as putting some bright yellow fly strike gunk on his sore bits and covering him in Avon Skin So Soft or red mite powder and he doesn't appear to be getting any worse at the moment (fingers crossed).
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2011, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Looks AND sounds FANTASTIC! Now, if only I were a good enough rider to give it a go ... hmm Obviously a real trip of a lifetime.
I still think about it now, with a touch of sadness as the guy who oranised this has since died of cancer, but it was one of those trips that remain as a highlight of your life.

Galloping with 18 giraffes was AMAZING! Like something out of Jurassic Park
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2011, 10:23 PM
So sorry to hear your news, but you are a responsible person (you can pay me later ) and you know whats best for them.
I have 2 horses but the dogs are fine around them, I don't take them with us all the time so when I get back the dog-walks are on the menu never get off with that My foster son is Odin mad so he really wants to ride him and often gets on bareback, but then he is older than your son, and for me as long as I have time to spend with Jimmy then Im ok, horses don't need to be ridden every day they are ok with days just munching away, and my dogs don't mind just going in and out to places as long as they get at least 3 - 4 times a week a ball chucking

But I do know what you mean about time consuming I get annoyed when Social workers ring and expect me to just be in at a whim I tell them ''we have a life you know''

Im sure you will do whats best and no I don't think you will regret it as they will have what you want them to have, people who can do things with them....xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2011, 06:33 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
So sorry to hear your news, but you are a responsible person (you can pay me later ) and you know whats best for them.
I have 2 horses but the dogs are fine around them, I don't take them with us all the time so when I get back the dog-walks are on the menu never get off with that My foster son is Odin mad so he really wants to ride him and often gets on bareback, but then he is older than your son, and for me as long as I have time to spend with Jimmy then Im ok, horses don't need to be ridden every day they are ok with days just munching away, and my dogs don't mind just going in and out to places as long as they get at least 3 - 4 times a week a ball chucking

But I do know what you mean about time consuming I get annoyed when Social workers ring and expect me to just be in at a whim I tell them ''we have a life you know''

Im sure you will do whats best and no I don't think you will regret it as they will have what you want them to have, people who can do things with them....xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thank you Steph (cheque's in the post ). I think it would be different if Ben were older and interested in the horses too as I could spend time around them with him - but it just isn't really safe when he is so small, and as he is a bit intimidated by my friend's horse and so refuses to go into the field when he is there

I will keep you all informed as to what happens.

Thanks to everyone for the sympathy and support
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >