Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2011, 01:33 PM

Something's got to give :-/

I am putting my horse out on loan with a view to being bought I just don't have enough time to devote to her, never mind getting a chance to regularly ride

Basically I have come to the conclusion that my dogs and horses were both getting short shrift. My passion is my dogs (always has been, always will be) but when I got my Highland I imagined I would have plenty of time for both dogs and horses (I also have a Shetland). Yet because I was having to devote the extra time to the horses, my dogs were missing out on the long walks and training time we used to enjoy together.

I thought I could hold out until my son is in full time school, but due to a number of factors that probably won't be for another couple of years

So, I made the difficult decision to see if my riding instructor (who is completely lovely and very horse loving) would like to take my mare on a loan arrangement, with a view to buying her if they both got on ok, and my mare settled in. My RI has also said she will take my Shetland and see how he gets on as a lead rein for the younger children. That is a bit of a relief, as his sweet itch has been really bad, and we get very bad midges up here - yet RIs is down by the coast.

I am very sad at having to part with my horse, as she is an absolutely darling and I will miss her dreadfully - but I do believe I am doing the best by both horses and dogs, and I will still be able to see her regularly and even ride her if I get a chance. For me personally, I only seem to have the time and energy to have one passion at a time!

How does everyone else with multiple animals, children and responsibilities find time to fit everything in???
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2011, 01:40 PM
Aww no! Could you not combine the horse riding with the long walks (I'm guessing you've already considered that, but thought I'd ask just in case!)?
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2011, 01:41 PM
Such a shame you are having to give up your horses

I've got 6 horses and 3 dogs and walk the dogs up at the horse field so I can see both of them at once, works well for me.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2011, 01:42 PM
That is such a shame, you must be gutted. I had horses, 2 kids, 2 dogs and worked full time when the kids were younger. I had to compromise on the time I spent with the dogs, lots of their exercise was out on the farm when I was sorting the horses out or when we hacked out. My daughter was pony mad so she was able to join in the riding stuff and my son was happy to tag along.

Only you know what is best for you and your family, the compromises I made may not be right for you. Whatever you decide horses and dogs are supposed to be fun, not stressing you out because you feel they are being short changed. Putting your mare out on loan is a good idea, as you can always change your mind. Good luck whatever you decide.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

09-07-2011, 01:43 PM
I am sorry I know how much she means to you.

I hope you may be able to find a solution to suit you all but if not I think you have done the right thing.

I know what a commitment they are my friend has 3.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2011, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Aww no! Could you not combine the horse riding with the long walks (I'm guessing you've already considered that, but thought I'd ask just in case!)?
That was my initial plan but unfortunately my collie is scared when I am on the horse and won't come near, and definitely won't follow along - and my shepherd is unsure of her and so either barks at her or runs away
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2011, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by Wyrd View Post
Such a shame you are having to give up your horses

I've got 6 horses and 3 dogs and walk the dogs up at the horse field so I can see both of them at once, works well for me.
I think if I were happy to just exercise the dogs around the horses fields etc then it would work a bit better, but I have always really enjoyed walking in different places and exploring new walks - and I didn't realise how much I had missed doing that until I started to do it again recently.
walkiespetcare
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-07-2011, 01:46 PM
I have two horses that I compete at high level most weekends, the dogs come with me! They love it!

I am also a single parent with two teenage children, one rides the horses the other is out with his friends.

Yes it all very time consuming but its my life and what I have known for the last 25 yrs so couldnt do without
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2011, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by maxine View Post
That is such a shame, you must be gutted. I had horses, 2 kids, 2 dogs and worked full time when the kids were younger. I had to compromise on the time I spent with the dogs, lots of their exercise was out on the farm when I was sorting the horses out or when we hacked out. My daughter was pony mad so she was able to join in the riding stuff and my son was happy to tag along.

Only you know what is best for you and your family, the compromises I made may not be right for you. Whatever you decide horses and dogs are supposed to be fun, not stressing you out because you feel they are being short changed. Putting your mare out on loan is a good idea, as you can always change your mind. Good luck whatever you decide.
Thanks Maxine. Things are made more difficult in that none of my family - hubby or son are interested in the horses, and my 3 year old point blank refuses to come into the fields with me at the moment (could just be a phase though), so I can't even have horse time when I have Ben with me

I think the basic problem is that I don't want to compromise my dog time (especially our long walks when Ben is in nursery) and so that is why I have come to this decision. I am going to speak to my RI about having my mare just on loan though and see how things pan out over the next couple of years - not sure whether she will be interested in that or not though. I can only ask.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2011, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
I am sorry I know how much she means to you.

I hope you may be able to find a solution to suit you all but if not I think you have done the right thing.

I know what a commitment they are my friend has 3.
Thanks Lynn. She does mean a lot to me, and that is partly why I am making this decision as I do feel she will get much more attention (which she loves ) in the riding school.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »