Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2008, 10:02 AM

Mini Schnauzer's anal gland problems

My sister in law's minature Schnauzer keeps getting impacted anal glands. She's on tinned food (not sure which brand). She's been several times in the last year to have them emptied at the vets which is costing a bit of money and is of course uncomfortable for the poor dog to have them fill up and have to have them emptied. Any suggestions?
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-08-2008, 11:19 AM
Adding bran to the diet will help bulk out the poo to help.
My friend had herdogs removed as it was at the vets every week with them.
It cost about £500 to have them removed but there is a small risk of becoming incontinent after for a few weeks or more if there has been nerve damage.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2008, 11:30 AM
Pharaoh used to get this.. The vet showed me how to empty them for myself, but I decided the money for the vet to do it was well worth it :P ew... I changed him to a dried food diet with a little mush, oil, fish etc to add taste and he cleared up. Haven't had a bout since... He cant cope with too much fat, or too much protein in his diet or we get warning whiffs that the problem may come back...
Sarah Jane
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-08-2008, 09:13 PM
try feeding the dog raw bones such as chicken wings .if the dog carnt chew them up it self get some sissors and cut one wing in to small bits bones as well .if you feed your dog some bones hard faeces that result cause the anal sacs to empty naturally
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2008, 08:01 AM
Originally Posted by lotsforus View Post
Adding bran to the diet will help bulk out the poo to help.
My friend had herdogs removed as it was at the vets every week with them.
It cost about £500 to have them removed but there is a small risk of becoming incontinent after for a few weeks or more if there has been nerve damage.

where do you get the bran from is it normal stuff. which bran do you use.

thanks asking for my mum
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2008, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah Jane View Post
try feeding the dog raw bones such as chicken wings .if the dog carnt chew them up it self get some sissors and cut one wing in to small bits bones as well .if you feed your dog some bones hard faeces that result cause the anal sacs to empty naturally
I'll mention it. My dog is fed raw, mainly chicken carcasses, though I'm not sure my sister in law will go for it! She already thinks I'm nuts for doing away with the dog food.