Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
goat364
New Member!
Male 

27-10-2011, 03:50 PM
Ok.
1. The dog will be in the garage for a maximum of 6hrs, maybe 1 or 2 days a week. Someone is home at all other times and the dog will be inside the house.
2. Its an attached garage and the house is only 10years old so its all insulated. Drafts are minimal. I can and will, if i have to, heat the garage to the same temp as the house.
3. The chemicals in our garage consist of a few cans of latex paint and some motor oil. All in sealed containers.
4. A crate in the house is possible, but I'd rather not make the pup have to "hold it" that long and I also don't want to have to clean up the "accident" in the crate when i get home.

I'm looking for advice on heat lamps and if people have had good or bad results in using them to warm a young dog. This will be my 4th dog, second collie, but the first time i'll be raising a pup in the fall/winter.
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-10-2011, 03:52 PM
no heat lamp! why have a pup and shut it in the garage , it can't see anyone? how sad poor poor puppy.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2011, 03:55 PM
I would be looking for a box bed with deep bedding in it. That will ensure the pup can sleep out of draughts.

When I say a box bed I mean one that has a lid and has a lip at the front so the pup has to step in. Not too big as the pup will retain its heat in there.

Pup then can come out of the bed into the rest of the pen if it wants to.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2011, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by goat364 View Post
Ok.
1. The dog will be in the garage for a maximum of 6hrs, maybe 1 or 2 days a week. Someone is home at all other times and the dog will be inside the house.
2. Its an attached garage and the house is only 10years old so its all insulated. Drafts are minimal. I can and will, if i have to, heat the garage to the same temp as the house.3. The chemicals in our garage consist of a few cans of latex paint and some motor oil. All in sealed containers.
4. A crate in the house is possible, but I'd rather not make the pup have to "hold it" that long and I also don't want to have to clean up the "accident" in the crate when i get home.

I'm looking for advice on heat lamps and if people have had good or bad results in using them to warm a young dog. This will be my 4th dog, second collie, but the first time i'll be raising a pup in the fall/winter.
You originally said it would be 40 deg or lower, and that's still very cold for a young pup that age imo. Phone your vet and see what he/she says??? Huh??? You never know, it could actually be dangerous, the puppy might get hypothermia being so very young and vulnerable, just like our oldies do??
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-10-2011, 03:58 PM
6 hours is a long time anyway for a pup to be on its own. Let alone in a cold garage with a heat lamp!!

Mine as a pup was in a crate in the house with the tv/radio on as a little bit of 'company'.

OK, Yes, I had to clean up a bit of mess on a newspaper in the crate, but hey ho!!! That's part of owning and looking after a pup.
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-10-2011, 03:58 PM
if its being left for 6 hours how is it going to get fed?
goat364
New Member!
Male 

27-10-2011, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by rough View Post
no heat lamp! why have a pup and shut it in the garage , it can't see anyone? how sad poor poor puppy.
When the pup is in the garage there will be no one home for it to see anyways! It will only be out there if everyone is at work. There are 3 of us and the house is empty for a max of 20hrs a week.
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-10-2011, 04:08 PM
See Posts 14, 15 & 16 please
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-10-2011, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by goat364 View Post
When the pup is in the garage there will be no one home for it to see anyways! It will only be out there if everyone is at work. There are 3 of us and the house is empty for a max of 20hrs a week.
20hours if i was you i'd wait until someone is at home fulltime before buying a pup
goat364
New Member!
Male 

27-10-2011, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
You originally said it would be 40 deg or lower, and that's still very cold for a young pup that age imo. Phone your vet and see what he/she says??? Huh??? You never know, it could actually be dangerous, the puppy might get hypothermia being so very young and vulnerable, just like our oldies do??
The UNHEATED garage can get that cold in the dead of winter. That's why I'm asking about heat sources. I plan to make the garage (or at least the pen) a warm place before i put a pup out there.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >