Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2006, 10:04 AM

It's Me or The Dog (24/10/06)

This was the episode with a lovely little mongrel who had bad seperation anxiety and a fear of postmen...

Any thoughts?

I thought the fridge alarm was great... can they make ones for kitchen counters please??

My only thought was that when they left the dog alone, it had the whole run of the house and created havoc. Why not invest in a couple of babygates to stop the dog getting into every single room?

Sometimes I wonder about people! Mind you, the way Max has been behaving, it won't be long before we're on there too!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2006, 10:59 AM
I know, I want one of those alarms for the worktop too!!!

I have learned to take these things with a pinch of salt though... perhaps they did have babygates but the producers thought it would make for a better program if they took them away for the filming? I think this tends to happen quite a bit!
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2006, 11:08 AM
I watched it and I though the whole program nicely demonstrated workable techniques for sorting out a whole host of behavioural problems- one of the better episodes
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2006, 11:11 AM
It was really releveant to me as Roxy howls the place down when left, however they didn't really delve much into that which was dissapionting

But i will try the get keys walk out come back thing some more...
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2006, 11:18 AM
I think that mongrel had so DARN MANY behavioural problems- howling was just one- that they skimmed over stuff because the program wasn't long enough But the basic ideas Ive used when training my pup and they worked for us- all the stuff on separation anxiety
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2006, 11:31 AM
I did wonder whether it wouldn't be as effective and less intimidating just to fit a catch to the fridge door

Anyway, I found it rather easier watching than last week's episode, and separation anxiety is a huge problem for a lot of people. I had the impression that the dog was always right with its people when they were in the house. Is that kind of thing a factor in separation anxiety? Bongo's been conditioned to spend time alone whether we're in the house or not.
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-10-2006, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
My only thought was that when they left the dog alone, it had the whole run of the house and created havoc. Why not invest in a couple of babygates to stop the dog getting into every single room?
My answer, as always, is because you shouldn't have to, and that's not what you're after. You want a dog that can roam the house without destruction, not a dog that can't get over a baby-gate.

These compromises baffle me sometimes. Dog eats cushions so people take the cushions and lock them away. Dog digs garden, people landscape their gardens all over again. Where does it end? Why not just give the dog the opportunity to learn to deal with the problem, in full, and in context.

I think we're sometimes too guilty of wanting the simplest solutions, but not for the dog's sake, for ours.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-10-2006, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by DobieGirl View Post
It was really releveant to me as Roxy howls the place down when left, however they didn't really delve much into that which was disappointing

But i will try the get keys walk out come back thing some more...
Hi DobieGirl that may be because the howling should stop along with the other unwanted behaviour once the dog learns to cope with separation .
I thought the programme was fine and demonstrated the sort of desensitisation method many of us on here recommend.

I think the programme is good and gives people an idea of methods to use.. I have one criticism and that is it may encourage people to think they will always get instant success when teaching every dog.

Often the main problem with overcoming unwanted behaviour /training a dog is people give up on a method after a few attempts saying it didn't work instead of having patience and persevering , or they chop and change from one method to another which totally confuses a dog .

A lot of dog training is common sense, not all dogs are quick to learn and it takes patience and consistency to teach dogs. People should not expect instant success with every dog.
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-10-2006, 12:20 PM
What does strike me as odd, and maybe I just woke up today in an argumentative mood, is the conflicting views I see.

In Dog Borstal, if a trainer shakes a bottle, that's cruel, irresponsible, choose your word. In It's Me or the Dog, Victoria uses a really quite loud alarm, where, remember, the owner isn't even there to see the result it has on the dog, let alone issue the request of what he or she wants the dog to do instead of raid the fridge when it is distracted by the alarm. And yet, to my astonishment, not a mention of it, other than to, so far, say what a great idea it is.

I really am quite stunned. As I watched the episode, I really did think as I saw the alarm used, that'll get the Dogsey fires burning. So why hasn't it? I really really am curious.
KatieB_23
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-10-2006, 12:22 PM
I thought it was a really good episode and thought that dog was absolutely gorgeous!
It was hilarious how easily she flipped that door open & helped herself over and over!
The alarm was a great idea, and much better than a catch... what you want is for her to not want to go in the fridge, not just to not be able to...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >