View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 06:37 AM
mine will go straight past any dog, and what i tend to find is if they meet a dog head on on a path, they have enough manners to lay down and let the other dog approach them.

Akitagirl, i tend to find if they live or are walking with a pack of dogs they don't bother with others
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 08:08 AM
Originally Posted by TomtheLurcher View Post
I hope this is not a silly question

When you have a dog that does not react to other dogs ,

Daisy does not react to dogs. Off lead she is non-reactive with people now. Shamus is totally friendly with people but avoids some dogs.

is it that in every situation you have the confidence that your dog will not do anything that will provoke/cause harm to another animal or human ?

It rather depends what the other dog or human does. If someone leapt on top of Daisy she would react. But then - so would I.

So if you are out with your dog you will confidently let it off lead even if you cannot it see it e.g. round the next corner on a twisty path ?

Yes. I walk in areas with thick cover and need to trust my dogs who can be out of sight instantly.

It could have met a reactive dog in the time you took to come round the corner but is that ok if you know its always ok with other dogs and people ?

Because I have spent years training the dog, starting with onlead work, training round other dogs and people, then using a line, then observing its behaviour.
I think you have to know how your own dog will react. Honestly, I mean. Not the `he`s only playing` sort of delusion that some owners suffer from.
On the other hand - if you think your dog will attack (unprovoked) another dog or person - should it be off lead? Certainly it should be muzzled.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 08:09 AM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post

Akitagirl, i tend to find if they live or are walking with a pack of dogs they don't bother with others
Very true.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 10:47 AM
Oo that means i need more dogs, 2 is not enough then, yipeee!
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 12:32 PM
Axel is non reactive and he's off lead a fair amount...he's never allowed out of sight, but he wouldn't choose to be out of sight anyway.
Sorry to hear about your incident, some people are clueless :S
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 07:35 PM
I have 2 non-reactive and a reactive. Jessie I trust explicitly as she is not interested in other dogs or people and if she is ahead and spots either she'll come straight back to me. She isnt interested in cats or livestock so I know she isnt going to get herself into trouble.
Jed isnt reactive but will chase things and approach other dogs so I like to know where he is in particular.

Flynn is reactive but will not approach people or dogs unless I interact with them. I do allow him out of sight and let him go round corners as, tbh, it's quite useful as he warns me of approaching people or dogs. He's often spotted somebody lurking about and barked, letting me know of their presence when otherwise I would've been oblivious. Ok, so far they've been birdwatchers or photographers but one day his reaction could save my life.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3